Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
latanyaperry

updating my landscape

Tanya
4 years ago

I would like advice on flowering shrubs and flowers, and bushes that would look nice together for zone 5. I have included a before and after picture

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The first thing I would do is restack the central portion of the wall in order to get the lump, which coordinates well with nothing, out of it. And pull that run farther away from the house in order to increase the front-to-back bed depth. Then there'd be a small, multi-trunk tree form at the right circle, a medium height shrub below the windows, and various shrubs or perennials along the wall and corners. Color differentiates one plant from the next, but is not a recommendation. You can achieve the color and finish you want when you select the plant you want. Where I'm showing vertical grass along the wall ... maybe for you that's a climbing rose on a trellis. Low groundcover would fill in any empty space at grade.

• Tanya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm updating my landscape... any suggestions for zone 5..i would like all season layering

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

@Tanya ... you are resposting as if asking anew ... while you've been offered two sets of ideas that you haven't acknowledged, or asked questions or made comments about. If you want to go forward, you have to dialogue about what's been offered already ... or there's no direction for anyone to go in.

• Tanya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like your suggestions however I never posted the front of my house...so I'm just trying to pull both location together.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

By adding the same picture of the side, it looked like you were asking for another go 'round on it. I wasn't trying to get you to say you "like" or don't "like" my suggestions. I was hoping you would say ... you saw them ... that they were useful to you or not ... that if they weren't, you would say why so we could work toward an outcome (others might be inspired to jump in) ... and let us know if your satisfied to the point that we're finished discussing the side. With no discussion about it from you, we wouldn't know any of these things. You've got to give your thread direction or it will languish.

We should be completely finished with one area before moving on to another, or the discussion will become confusing. Another area is even better discussed in a completely new thread. It would be good for you to say what benefits (privacy, shade, improved appearance, amenities, lower maintenance, etc.) you're expecting to get out of making landscape changes ... so that people don't try to help you in a completely wrong direction.

(At your front, the bed extends to the left. You should show that area, too, and some space beyond it.)

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    4 years ago

some more ideas:

• Tanya
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Doug,
    your low maintenance, colorful multi layer suggestions is the way we've decided. I really appreciate you changing the look of the picture based on my suggestion....i like your look much better, that's why you're the professional!!!! Your help is truly appreciated and needed.