Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatbbqribscb

Replace tub with........ help

Hockeymom
4 years ago

Tub fixtures broke so its now time to replace this ancient tub. The rest of the bathroom has already been renovated.

This is Currently our bathroom.

Replace with a tub shower combination.
Replace with a Home Depot Shower Unit
Other........

Comments (7)

• newhomegal
    4 years ago

your wall tile and vanity are very pretty. Why not take out the existing tub/shower and continue your wall tile around and make a beautiful shower with a frameless glass shower door?

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Its not tile on the vanity wall... it’s Nuwall paper. It was better than the rough wall that was left behind after taking down very old wall paper... however in person its not holding up to the moisture and is coming apart in the corners and at the ceiling. We have debated tiling the shower. However, having never done it before... we are a little concerned that we would have leaking joints and making a bigger problem.
  • K Laurence
    4 years ago

Unless you need the tub for some reason I would replace with a nice walk in shower.

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

How long do you intend to be in your home? Do you have other full baths in your house? Would resale be hard if you don't have at least one tub? Maybe this doesn't matter. Would you miss not having a tub?

I think the Home Depot shower stall looks pretty cheap, whereas the tub combo you showed is a little bit nicer looking. If you can save up for a pro to come do tile for a full shower, I'd do that. If not, then go for the tub combo.

• Hockeymom
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We have 3 bathrooms in the house. This is the basement bathroom. The master has a standalone tub and walk-in shower. The main bath has a tub/shower unit that also needs to be replaced soon. We were reading that by eliminating the tub/shower that then it reduces a 3 bathroom house to 2 3/4. Not sure if that effects appraisal or not. We are only looking to be here for 1-4 years and are trying to increase the value of the home as much as we can while utilizing the space for our 9 person family (mostly college age kids that use the place as a pit stop.) Our future plans we figure that either someone will buy the house for an in law unit as the basement is ground level. Or it could be turned into a 2 family. Just trying to get an idea of what people prefer to see. And yes, the Home Depot shower tends to be a lower quality than the tub/shower unit.
  • iamtiramisu
    4 years ago
    Since it’s a basement bathroom, and one that could be used for an in-law suite at some point, I am in the no tub camp. As people age getting in/out of a tub can become difficult and pose a potential for a fall, a walk in shower eliminates that and would be more attractive to buyers thinking of using the space as an in-law suite. Skip the cheapo tub/shower combos shown and go with the walk-in shower.