Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckington

Closing off corner in kitchen - do you have photos of this?

beckington
4 years ago

I'm considering closing off the blind corner in my kitchen instead of having a corner cabinet (lower cabinets). I'm not sure though I like the look of the extra panels/space that needs to go in the corner to give clearance for the drawers on either side. I'd love to see some photos of this! And for people who have taken this approach to corners, are you happy with your decision?

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO kitchens need all the storage you can get and there are so many really innovative storage ideas for corner cabinets I have no idea why you would want a useless corner.

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We agree with Patricia Colwell Consulting. Corner cabinets are a better way to utilize the corner space than a blind corner would.

• beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, zmith! That's an awesome thread - lots of cool stuff to read! The extra space for clearance in the corner looks OK, though the photo of the corner wasn't great. Right now we have 3" and 4" in the design and that seems so big!

Would love to see some other photos if anyone has any to share!

CAGE and Patricia, I understand not everyone likes this approach but it's one that I'm considering for good reasons. It's OK for you to not like it. :)

• wilson853
    4 years ago

No regrets whatsoever eliminating it. It really depends on what you need to store and how much space you will have left over on each side if you use the blind corner. Opening a door to swing out a tray (some oddly shaped) didn't make sense to me, when you can just open a drawer and store so much more. I have a Super Susan in another kitchen and am not a fan of the hinged door and if you need to wipe out the cabinet - something breaks, rodent, etc, it is very difficult to access the nooks and crannies. There's 14 pieces of CorningWare and Pyrex in this double decker drawer. No way would all of this have fit in any in any of the corner solutions that I looked at and on top of that I would have been left with slivers of space on each side that would have been practically useless.

beckington thanked wilson853
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

I'm keeping this in mind if ever we redo our kitchen. We bought a metal blind corner unit and it was a waste of good money. The thing wobbles and doesn't store as much nor as efficiently as I expected. Your drawers make sense to me, wilson853 (and this kitchen glimpse is gorgeous).

• beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks you, wilson853 - that's so helpful!! Would you mind sharing a photo of that corner area from farther back as well, so that I can see more of the surrounding cabinets and see how it all looks together?

• wilson853
    4 years ago

There's 3" on each side of the corner for drawer clearance. The corner was hemmed in because of the DW to the right of the four-drawer base and the warming drawer stack under the Keurig so these were the drawer sizes that I was able to fit.

• beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ah perfect, wilson853! I don't see anything wrong with how that looks! Your kitchen is lovely - thanks for sharing!

• wilson853
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No problem. I know how difficult these decisions can be. Are you doing inset cabinets? The space between the three-drawer bases mimics the corner clearance. Those two sets of drawers were built as one unit to eliminate the shadow line between them.

• beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ah no they are frameless. So no bit around the doors, which probably helps make the extra space at the corner with inset look OK, eh?

What do you mean the shadow line?

• User
    4 years ago
    Not sure if this is close enough...but I absolutely hate lazy Susan’s so we did drawers. Kitchen isn’t finished yet but these drawers function just fine. Not great pictures...just what I had on my phone.
    beckington thanked User
  • beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks kikodog! How many inches clearance is that on each corner?

Your kitchen is looking great - you must be so happy to be in the home stretch!

I've emailed my cabinet maker for photos of past projects they've done like this.

• rainyseason
    4 years ago
    Here’s another blind corner. Very happy with the choice.
    beckington thanked rainyseason
  • beckington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks rainyseason - looks great!

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I said shadow line to mean the vertical line that you see when you put two inset cabinets next to each other. With full overlay or frameless like I had in my previous kitchen you don't see that line.

• susapix
    3 years ago

I wrestled with this for a while and finally did a set of drawings looking at the amount of useable storage space you actually get with corner drawers, lazy susans, magic corners and (my favorite) the slinky Hafele Le Mans corner. Some of these actually provided less storage than two banks of drawers and a sealed off corner and the ones that did add some space only added a few cubic inches. Plus, the storage is almost always only on two levels whereas a bank of drawers has three. I finally concluded that it just wasn't worth it. The amount of additional useable storage you get is zero to negligible and all of it is less accessible. These things just seem like they are saving space for you. But in fact they are wasting it.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz