Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela_cluney71

Can’t decide how I should update my kitchen. HELP

AClue
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Closing on this 1940’s house soon and can’t decide what I want to do with the kitchen cabinets (other than NOT painting them white). They are solid wood so I don’t want to replace them with cheaply made cabinets. So, should I stain them darker (but not too dark), like a walnut finish or paint them a dark blue with white uppers or strip them and do a clear untinted seal??

I am for sure going to update the floor tile and paint the walls Benjamin Moore ”white”. I also, need backsplash and countertop ideas which I feel like are hinged on the cabinet color/stain.

I dont like anything too trendy but want something truer to the period of the home. Would love your input!

Here are some photos of the kitchen (with sellers furniture in background). I’m including the floor tile, kitchen rug, wall color and dining table and chairs from adjoining dining room (soon to be purchased):

Comments (29)

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

No to those white floor tiles. They belong in a bathroom. The chairs don’t go with the table and really don’t look comfortable. I think a rug should be the last thing you purchase after you’ve decided on a color scheme for the kitchen.

AClue thanked oaktonmom
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Paint them ALL a deep navy, ABSOLUTELY NO to that white bath tile, repeat the oak from the dining area beyond instead. Change the hardware, Lose the white faucet, After that, there are a million tops that can work, splashes as well.

No to the bentwood chairs with that table. Which looks very small, so I hope you measured.

AClue thanked JAN MOYER
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

That's one LARGE 'fridge!! The last thing I would do is mess with the cabinets. Do the other suggestions first see if it is enough for you. Painting of any sort will just be a maintenance issue. I prefer wood stained light over dark..but to each is own.

AClue thanked arcy_gw
  • artistsharonva
    4 years ago

I would do simple cosmetic changes as others mentioned. I would not risk painting or staining them. Darker may make space appear smaller.

I definitely would not put $$ countertop on.

With all due respect, a complete kitchen remodel when funds allow, because the current layout. That stove next to wall squeezed between fridge is not user friendly when cooking.

Live with it and use it to determine what works for you and what changes you want. Keep a list. Get estimates 3-4. Will help prepare.

There's a lot of potential for a better kitchen to enjoy with a whole redo.

AClue thanked artistsharonva
  • DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

Do nothing. Live in the house at least 6 months, watch how light moves through the room which will influence color for walls and cabinets. Those are not decisions to be made quickly or in a vacuum. If you like the cabinets and the kitchen layout works for you proceed with updates based on experience there, not just the desire to change it quickly.

AClue thanked DLM2000-GW
  • THOR, Son of ODIN
    4 years ago

The cabinets are fine. As others have mentioned, live with the kitchen for awhile and save up for a thorough reno (appliance placement and adding drawers). My quick fixes would be to paint over the busy tile backsplash, change out the faucet, add some undercabinet lighting if needed, and change the green wall color --only if those bug you.

https://www.thespruce.com/painting-tile-as-alternative-to-replacement-1822582

AClue thanked THOR, Son of ODIN
  • ptreckel
    4 years ago
    As others suggest....do NOTHING now except paint! Live in the space before doing anything. I understand that you want to get things done before you move in. NO. Your cabinets are a lovely wood...and natural wood finishes are making a come back right now. So, you are “on trend,” if that matters. Also, as others note...the tightness of the stove and fridge, with no landing space between them, is a functional issue. And one that should be prioritized. But painting your walls a nice neutral cream or white is an easy update. Enjoy your new home!
    AClue thanked ptreckel
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Save to move that stove then worry about the counters .

AClue thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all! Such great advice. What other floor tile do you suggest that is more conducive to the era but still updated. Can’t stand that tile!

Also, totally agree about the misfortunate stove placement. However don’t think a complete kitchen reno is in our plans. Sounds really expensive and we have so little room to work with and changing gas line placement sounds $$.

I am IN LOVE with that table but open to other chair ideas. Any suggestions there?

Totally open to not painting the cabinets if the orange tint doesn’t seem too terrible.

Also, I promise that rug is not a purchase that will happen soon but more of an item to help illustrate my style preferences and vision for the kitchen ;)

• AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also, really like the idea of a soapstone counter.

Regarding the kitchen reno, does anyohave an idea on how much it is it is to change gas line placement?

(we will for sure wait to do these renovations, except for wall color, cause there are other pressing priorities for the home)

Thanks again!

• bpath
    4 years ago

In the era, linoleum would have been the floor covering. You can use it still today, or marmoleum. Plain, or there are lots of nice designs.

Can you simply swap the refrigerator and the base cabinet next to it? That would give you a landing spot beside the range.

AClue thanked bpath
  • AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh, interesting idea with the marmoleum.

Cant swap that weird little cabinet. The fridge and stove are hugged between the walls with no room between them. The cabinet actually jets off the wall next to the fridge so it’s not actually in line with the appliances, if that makes sense? .

• lyfia
    4 years ago

Since you are looking to change countertops and floor. It would be easy to do what bpath suggested. Just a few screws and if you decide to paint you could add a panel on the side of the fridge to make it look built in.

You still have the stove against the wall, but at least you have space on one side and no gas line to move. The cost of moving the gas line would depend on a lot of things. Do you have a basement below and is the basement ceiling open? If so it is one of the simplest scenarios and may just be 1-2 hours of a plumbers time.

AClue thanked lyfia
  • zmith
    4 years ago

I would look into reconfiguring a few things before changing floor or countertops. For example, could you move the refrigerator to where the pantry is? You'd have to remove more than just the pantry, but it would be a HUGE improvement.

AClue thanked zmith
  • silken1
    4 years ago

Rather than move a gas line when you do reno, you might want to consider an induction range instead of gas. That would be safer beside that wall in the meantime too.

AClue thanked silken1
  • AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There is a basement below that is unfinished! Hmm, now you’ve got me thinking and my husband is gonna hate the cost of these ides, but oh the function!

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    4 years ago
    Moving the gas line a few feet will not be expensive if there is an unfinished basement ceiling under it. I had this done in my kitchen 20 years ago. I don't remember who did it or exactly what it cost but it was a minor thing.
    AClue thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • oaktonmom
    4 years ago

Why don’t you get some estimates and then make a decision.

AClue thanked oaktonmom
  • User
    4 years ago

I wrote a long response that included the marmoleum as flooring, etc. Houzz lost it. But whatever.

I agree about putting the fridge where the pantry is. While you're waiting to close, see if you can find those cabinets....I think lots of us have them and it's possible big box stores do, too....then you can fill in the space where the fridge was with cabinets so you have a landing space for hot stuff...(they screw to the wall and each other, usually) That's all I would do. I like oak, but I'm in the minority. I think a plain white 4x4 tile for a backsplash would be appropriate to the home AND will work well with the cabinet (plus they're budget friendly and a backsplash is a great DIY project. I would change out the light thing above the sink with something more period-ish. You might want new knobs for the cabinets.

As for saving for a remodel....it's a small kitchen and with a house built in the 40's, it probably has "stuff" that can't be moved. Not all of us have "magazine layout" kitchens, and they work. We can still cook. And we get to go on vacation with the money saved :) I see this kitchen as totally a DIY project, but ymmv, of course. Just the gas line and electric would need to be hired out (for the fridge)

It's a lovely space and I'm excited for you!

AClue thanked User
  • jhmarie
    4 years ago

I am afraid I have that white floor tile in 3 of my four bathrooms:)

This is my wood kitchens idea book with both new and older, refreshed kitchens. It may give you some ideas. I agree if you can manage a bit better layout - that would be something to do before new counters.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

AClue thanked jhmarie
  • AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Really loving all these ideas and advice! Making me rethink a lot of things...and maybe saving and waiting. Although removing the Pantry and replacing with fridge eliminates needed storage it gives a better work flow for cooking. Kind of a hard toss up since we are already concerned with lack of food storage.

JHMarie, really love that idea board and saved one in particular with white uppers and wood lowers and maybe a white concrete counter (??), can’t tell. Love it style wise. Would I be crazy to paint the uppers white? Feels so heavy visually in there now and need to lighten it. Maybe the same white as the walls so they blend in??

Im also going to look into adding some can lights to brighten it up. Just feels like a hole compared to the rest of the house.

Im now also considering continuing the wood floors into the kitchen as suggested (By Jan??). I wasn’t sure with the small space and all wood cabinets but the ”all wood kitchen” idea board had quite a few with wood floors and cabinets that looked great!

Also really digging the idea of 4x4 white tile backsplash.

You all have helped SO MUCH!! Although, it sounds like I have more questions now, haha!

• oaktonmom
    4 years ago

If you relocated the refrigerator where the pantry is, you could add taller upper cabinets over the new workspace.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

That picture is from last season's This Old House. The countertop is a quartz Silestone.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/jamestown-net-zero-house-reveal

That is one of my favorite new kitchens. It is in an older home, and they wanted it to work with the older elements of the home. I think they succeeded.

I have an apron front sink in my oak kitchen. Kohler makes a "short apron" Whitehaven which can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. It is a shorter apron, so be sure to see one to be sure you like it. There are two kitchens in the idea book with a short apron Whitehaven - both refreshed oak kitchens.

I would make the changes to the lowers first - and then see how you feel about painting uppers - and all after you decide any layout issues. You have a functioning kitchen - no harm in waiting - and even saving up if necessary. That is how I did it - and I had to wait and save a few more months after I fell for the apron front sink:)

Also - my most functional change - under cabinet lighting - and lowering the microwave because I am rather short!

AClue thanked jhmarie
  • zmith
    4 years ago

Hi, Angela. My thought about removing the pantry cabinet implied that it would be moved to the stove/fridge wall. A logical location could be against the wall where the stove is with the stove moving down to where the refrigerator is. Your space has potential to be much more functional without sacrificing storage.

AClue thanked zmith
  • User
    4 years ago

If it turns out that you must totally remove the pantry from the room, you really only lose (square footage wise) the middle bit as that space would be counter...

If you can do as zmith suggests AND add a small bottom and top cabinet in addition (amount of room you have depends on the width of your fridge vs the width of your pantry cupboard), you would have a landing space other than the stove-top.

As far as chairs for the table that you love, I think these would be appropriate...https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/george-oliver-barros-side-chair-golv5833.html

AClue thanked User
  • AClue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, that makes sense, storage wise. Gosh, the range centered on that wall would look really nice!

YES, love those chairs Pennydesign! I would love those but I need something covering the center or my wiggly children will slip thru the back, haha! It’s that season of life. There are other ones similar style wise I had my eye on. Maybe I’ll pursue those.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

My first thought as well was to remove the pantry and the cabinet to its left to put in place of the fridge. Then you can center the stove on its current wall and possibly use the other cabinet that juts out to the left of the stove to fill in. You may need a filler or two but it should be doable without too much trouble. Just be sure to use a panel to the right of the fridge against the wall so the fridge has room to open.

AClue thanked katinparadise
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

I wouldn't change the cabinets - they appear to match your dining room floors. Replace the countertops and backsplash with a solid white quartz and change the cabinet knobs. Then update the flooring with a tile similar to this one:

Kitchen Remodel - Monrovia · More Info

AClue thanked calidesign