Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barplants123

I cut fig tree to 'stump' instead of 5" tall...

barplants123 barplants123
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

NJ zone 6 or 7,

fig tree has been here about 12 years, usually produces a lot of figs in Fall but the branches never make it though Winter - each spring they're white with something and brittle and so we usually cut it down to about 5" in late Fall or early Spring and then new branches grow to about 6 feet by the next Fall and are filled with good figs in only about 6 months!

I used to maintain a yard that had a similar purple fig tree about an hour north/colder than me, granted it was in full sun and mine is only partial, but this other tree wasn't regularly pruned or insulated or fertilized or watered besides rain, but it produced better tasting figs than mine and never seemed to die off in Winter because it fruited the next few years too. Although it was only about 6 ft max and about 4 feet around I assume it had been pruned down to about 5" now and then but I know at least 2 years that no pruning or anything was done to it so maybe it's a dwarf variety.

So last year, I tried just leaving mine without pruning or insulating to see if it would do the same but it didn't - the wood was still white and dry and didn't produce anything, maybe not even many leaves.

There's also a guy on youtube in my state and zone who has figs that are like actual decent sized trees - like 8 feet width and 8 ft high and with 2" lateral branches - I doubt he insulates them either which is strange because it seems the only way to keep figs in this zone is to maintain them at a small size with thin springy branches which can be bunched tied together and insulated each year.

His are also in partial shade but gets great harvest.

ANYWAYYY, last Fall I cut it down to a stump like we normally do and for the first time I also insulated the stump with a pile of leaves and tarp over the leaves. Only this time I cut the stump basically flush with the ground instead of leaving about 5" of branches.

There ARE plenty of new 2-3" branches coming up right now but I'm wondering should I have left about 5" of the old branches? I was thinking it's better to cut it to a flush stump because if 5" tall branches are left from the year before they might not do well through winter and get that white death thing and then new branches would grow from the white branches would be better to just have all new fresh branches/suckers grow from the stump.

There are some 'flat' areas of the stump not really producing any suckers (at least not yet?) but there are still outer portions of the stump with basically exposed roots or 2" tall branches that are producing new growth.

I'm just wondering if cutting it so low was such a bad idea?

In fall I will probably thin the tree out but leave the branches tall and then tie them into a bunch and wrap the tree with insualtion and then a tarp, plus insulate the stump well, and we'll see if those branches make it through Winter but if not I think I will stick to just cutting it down while still leaving about 5" tall branches through Winter. Maybe 5" branches will live if insualted since they're close to the stump. It had never been insualted before last year and the 5" branches/stump would still produce but seemed like it was sending out new braches from dead/damaged 5" branches left uninsulated from the year before.

EDIT: here's the figs in the same zone as me I mentioend.

https://youtu.be/AjprUtUNKn8?t=39

Not quite 2" lateral branches but definitely looks like the main branches are a few years old (if cut to a stump each year they won't grow that thick nor have lateral branches as large as his, and they seem pretty big that I don't think he insualtes them, and the ones in the back are partial shade from the house.

SECOND EDIT:

Yea I don't think he insulates his fig trees. They look like they have at least 2 maybe 3 years growth on them before this video he says he's not sure if they've made it through winter, so probably he'll prune it, but you can pretty much tell he doesn't insualte them and just hopes for the best

https://youtu.be/X0skB7hmeJQ?t=645

Comments (10)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

There are different varieties of figs, just like there are different types of apples, so figs of different varieties may have differing flavors, and hardiness may vary according to the type you grow.

• barplants123 barplants123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ wish I knew exactly the type I have.

main question though is was cutting it to a stump a bad idea instead of leaving about 5" tall branches?

I didn't want to cut it down to 5" tall branches in case those 5" branches got winter damaged and then the new growth would have to come from those 5" damaged branches.

I figured new suckers straight from the stump would be better.

here are some pictures. There are some non-fig 'weeds' mixed in but should be able to see what tree is doing. Should be fine, right? I think this new growth will be about 5ft and produce plenty of figs by Fall like it usually did if cut to 5" tall stump instead of a flush cut low stump like this.

There's not much if any new growth coming from the main center of stump though, so hopefully it doesn't just basically rot out and then kill the roots and everything?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

New growth will come from roots or low areas of bark, not from the center of the cut stems.

Original Author
    4 years ago

^ I sort of knew that.

but if I didn't cut so much off and instead left it as like 5 inch branches, new growth would basically come out of the sides of those 5 inch branches. Instead now it's like what's going to happen with the larger flat center stump area? I don't know if branches will grow so well out of there, and if not then it's basically a large flat surface that'll probably never heal over and instead might die from rotting out.

Should I have just cut less off of it?

Maybe once the new growth is a decent height I should bury this cut stump with a few inches of dirt and then add more the next year (to not sufficate it all ant once) and then these cuts will be buried deeper and less likely to turn into big rot holes that could kill the tree??

• Gred
    4 years ago

I am no expert by a long shot, but I believe you cut it too low. Being that low to the ground the center of the main trunk will decay/rot as it is nearly always moist. It will still likely grow back from the root material left undamaged, but not as vigorously because you cut off a lot of energy stored in that wood. The good news is that in a couple seasons you should be back to where you were before.

Original Author
    4 years ago

tree doing good 2 weeks later, lots of new branches at the same pace as when it was usually cut to about 5" instead of this low. Should produce plenty figs by Fall if watered and fertilzied and will try insulating it for the 1st time. Trying to propigate off it too which is kinda tricky but I'm up for the task.

Surprised no one mentioned also about this type of tree having so many crutches where basically like 15 different trunks/branches all bunch together leaves an area where water and leaves etc collect and eventually might rot out the stump - you can see this in the first set of pics, areas of soil basically between branches that were cut.

we had a large maple with 2 trunks with a crutch rot and had to have it removed although buth trunks were leaning and very heavy is a different situation but I'm not sure about a smaller tree like a fig what happens with those soil areas that accumulate? is it better to put more soil over something like that and it'll turn that area into roots, or better to try and keep it dry and free of leaves/debris?

I think this is what happens with woody hedges - branches inside might die off from this but then new growth just occurs. Let alone as the hedge expands it discards/gives up on the inner wood since it's blocked from the sun anyway and becomes sort of useless to the hedge.

As for the cutting the stump this low my original theory was to eliminate any cold-damaged wood and let new suckers grow from the stump like it's doing. Surprised that a tree nerd (I mean that in a good way) didn't chime in with confident assestment of this type of scenario as I know there are lots of them on this forum but either way I'm not worried at all about this fig tree but want to learn more about agressively pruning things similar to scenarios like this. I don't recommend agressively pruning anything actually - and especially not topping trees - just plant small plants where you want small plants and med-size trees where needed etc. not only does disease/rot get into large woulds that aren't sap wood, but any new branches that come out will be weaker and prone to wind - a different scenario than a small fig tree/bush but just saying.

Original Author
    4 years ago

treer doing great now, figs starting to form.

ONly thing I'm wondering is what pertains to some other plants/hedges - is if I should cover with soil over the stump-cut areas and they're become roots? Or leave them be? but if leave them be won't they rot out and introduce disease etc into root?

Butthis is very common for a hedge , and old hedge sometimes I'll see the inner branches are rotted down to the base, but not necessarily dead branches that the plant gave up on in order to expand (because I see live branches right next to it) - it seems some branches die possibly from the base rotting out, so shouldn't you cover that with soil so it doesn't rot out?

Original Author
    4 years ago

surprised no one mentioned MOUND OR STOOL LAYERING.

Which is what I described and apparently no problem for the tree. Google it, you can just pile soil up aroudn the base of most trees/shrubs etc and it will grow roots into that new mound of soil, you can then either cut each one out and have a ton of independant trees with their own roots from the 1 original tre, or just leave them and they will root ball together as one tree which is how I would (and will) do this one so that this older sort of rotten wood will become healthy root zone instead.

You can even do this with a stump. For example we had a white birch that died, cut it to a stump and it was growing suckers (new trunks) from the stump. You can mound layer that and get a bunch of new (but small) white birch trees for free, and they'll have the same good genetics as the original tree (as opposed to planting a sapling that formed by accident by a fallen nut or seed etc. If you just leave the stump without soil and let the new suckers grow they won't be nearly as strong as if it's mound/stool layered because they'd be basically easy to snap over, plus the stump would start to rot, but not with the stool layering method.

I've always known not to mound mulch up against a tree because it could rot out the trunk. Even though soil holds moisture even better than mulch, soil usually won't rot it out because with soil the tree can actually root into it as opposed to mulch it can't root into and thus just rots eventually.

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/353446-mound-layering-is-easiest

• Camelia Minoiu
    last year

Can you post an update on how your fig tree is doing? I had a ginormous fiddle leaf fig tree that was cut down (by mistake) and new leaves are coming out of the ground and I wonder how I should care for them and how many seasons before it grows to original size...