Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunaina_jinna

Kitchen remodelling. Help with layout.

S J
4 years ago
Hi All,
We bought a house and planning to redo the kitchen before we move in. Current layout does not look pratical to me. So I am looking for suggestions. Even though the kitchen is not as wide I would like. I am happy we can fit in atleast a small island. I am thinking interchanging stove and oven placements. But the stove will be more centered to the wall where the current double oven is. So you think corner gas range would work better. The corner in between current oven and fridge. And move the oven where the current gas range is. We are planning to paint the window trims white.

Comments (11)

• AFritzler
    4 years ago

If it were me, I would move the wall ovens right beside the fridge and then put the cook top on the current wall oven wall. I would also remove the prep sink or if you want to keep it move it to the other side of the island across from the cook top.

• zmith
    4 years ago

This kitchen has obvious layout issues. Your ideas are in the right direction but would be better if the prep sink was rotated to face the refrigerator. This space could be even better if you can post a dimensioned 2D layout as cpartist mentioned, and let us see what the possibilities are.

• S J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is the 2d image with dimensions. Here is the layout we are working on. Should I add a prep sink on the island towards the stove facing the refridgerator.

• Pam A
    4 years ago

I understand wanting an island, but I think in this size of room, there isn't space for an island AND a u shaped layout. The walkways are looking a little tight at 37" (I had that previously, it is SNUG to get by anyone in that kind of space).

Could you consider removing the island and making all your lower cabinets deeper to allow for deeper counters? 30" deep lowers are an option that might work well here. That, or consider a movable island that lets you tradeoff workspace for aisle width where and when needed?

• S J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Pam. But would like prep space closer to stove.

• S J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If I move the fridge beside dishwasher. Oven to the current fridge area. Swap the walkway widths. That is 45.5 inches between sink and island. 37 inches between oven and island.
    I am the only one who cooks. Wanted add prep sink on island towards stove. Please suggest if these changes would be good.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Suggest a wider sink to be able to wash bigger items. 30" is on the small size a 33" w to 36" suggested

• S J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did ask for 36 inch sink. Here is updated kitchen layout. We changed Refridgerator location.

• S J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi All, Thabk you for the suggestions. Here the updated layout. I wanted to check if I can move the cooktop to the walll where the oven is. Please see below pictures.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Good job getting a bigger sink. I bet you'll really enjoy that.

Could move the stove to other wall, but having it where it is near main sink & fridge, is better imo. If you do keep prep sink in island.

If keep stove in current layout, may want to switch sink & base cabinet in island to have the flow wash prep onto stove &have extra landing space behind you instead of prep sink in the way. May want to even not get the prep sink, because it's so close to other sink. The extra spread out room on small island may be of more use. It just depends on the user's preference &how you envision using the prep island. If you do get sink get a slight overhang to protect the cabinets rom water running down the cabinets.

Here's suggested spacing. Watch the space in front of fridge. Make sure there's enough room to open doors, drawer, & a person loading groceries comfortably. I prefer at least 42" 48" even better when possible.