Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mytuesday

Just started demolition and looking for help with kitchen.

Caroline H
4 years ago

These pics are the style I want. I am a bit overwhelmed with cabnets, countertops and flooring choices. I would love to hear how others would achieve this style. The picture of the bathroom, is my bathroom near the kitchen, I want something similar in the kitchen ( but not marble top). Thanks in advance for any help.

Quartersawn Oak Kitchen · More Info

mytuesday’s ideas · More Info

Comments (37)

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my plan. We are adding 12 feet to the back of the house Kitchen/family room

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Millworkman Thanks for your response. We are following contractors scheduling. The general design is there but need to select cabinet facing, counters and floors. Nothing, is staying from the existing kitchen.
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    My mistake, The kitchen is still intact. The demolition is for the add on.
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Searching on 'craftsman kitchen' should give you threads with pertinent info. The following thread has a good example with stained cabinets (Helen's kitchen), and another with painted cabinets (rudbeckia's).

Questions/1912 Craftsman kitchen remodel

Nice plan. You might consider adding a prep sink to the island, and make sure you locate the DW to the right of the clean-up sink.

• User
    4 years ago

6 months ago is when this post should have happened. Now you are in a time crunch and only an experienced Pro can save you from months of indecision and delays that cost you quite a bit. No good contractor begins any demo without architectural plans and a completed kitchen design. They also have a 3-12 month waiting list. That leaves me wondering what kind of potential hack that you've found.

Find a good KD immediately. The architect who created the required plans for you to file with your city for the required permits should know a few. They are busy too. It will still be more streamlined than trying for conflicting crowd sourcing.

• User
    4 years ago

A big budget project like this, with an 60K addition, plus 150K kitchen cabinet inspirations, absolutely requires professional help. That should already have happened. How else is your contractor even ready to get started? Cabinets like you want are going to be a 3-6 month wait for that level and look.

• daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

To keep it somewhat modern, I would choose the cleaner elements of the cab style from the pic directly under your bathroom pic and the solo island pic. I would do your island in quartersawn oak, but the perimeter painted or reverse. I think it will be too much oak for all cabs. I'd avoid the busy-ness of the pic with blue island. IMHO, that is an outdated look. The trend is now towards simpler lines. Soapstone counters would coordinate well with your bathroom.

Have you chosen floors?

When we did a whole house restoration, we had a top end designer working with us. I still came here for tons of advice. My comfort zone is having someone whose advice I trust and guides me, but who also listens to me. I come here to figure out what I want so that I can communicate that effectively to a designer.

• salex
    4 years ago

Your photos show inset cabinets (not overlay) with flat/recessed-panel doors and slab panel drawer fronts. This is what you should ask for if you want that look. Inset cabinets are not standard - they usually take longer and cost more.

• gtcircus
    4 years ago
    One thing I will point out is that on an older house you sometimes cannot finalize kitchen plans until the demolition occurs because you don’t always know where immovable posts (structural) are located until it’s taken to the studs. That happened with my project, BUT we had drawings pending confirmation that we could move a structural post. Cabinets like the ones you pictured are custom inset and it will take 3 month to order if not longer - everyone is very busy right now. And by the way, a good kitchen design takes several months of planning with multiple drafts of the plans as ideas evolve in a perfect world. I also thought that planning a kitchen was not a big deal until I went through the process and if you are overwhelmed by decisions now, then you need someone to assist you.
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

How old and what style is the house? These cabinets are all craftsman style.

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    thanks for all the advice. I guess I am not very good at explaining things. My inspiration pics are just a look I want to achieve. Green design I have a middle class budget. Thanks Everyone who pointed out the inset/overlay issue. Inset will not be possible. I appreciate the kd advice and will look for one. live- wire-oak we have the architect plans already. Mama goose. I am looking at those threads. Daisy chain I think I want the island a bit different, but not sold , yet on any color or stain yet. The cabnets probably won't be in oak . and I am hoping for whitish counters, but I am flexible. thanks Everyone for the advice
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Inset IS possible if you go with Shiloh cabinets!!! NO upcharge and they are beautiful!!!!! I used them in my kitchen for my uppers; lowers are Shiloh's "Eclipse" line of frameless European. I love having the two different styles.

Here are a couple of pictures.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with my kitchen 3 years later!

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Cpartist my house was built in 1987. I don't think it has a style. It is white with Spanish tile roof. The original cabinets were the standard 80s oak vanier.
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Anglophilia your kitchen is beautiful. I will check out Shilo. thanks
  • gtcircus
    4 years ago
    One other piece of advice - less is more when it comes to kitchens. Decide on a layout first based upon how you cook and live. I wanted a tight kitchen meaning I wanted the refrigerator, cook top and sink within a step. One other thing I really like are the pull outs next to the cooktop refrigerator which store spices, oils etc that I use with the cook top. I had another one that pulls out by the oven.
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Bellburgmaggie. I like that pull out. thsnks, for the advice.
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Make sure the cabinets match the style of the house. Honestly, unless there is lots of oak in your 1980's house, I don't think those cabinets you love will work with the house. How about posting some photos of the house itself? The living, family and dining room specifically.

• gtcircus
    4 years ago

Caroline, it makes cooking a lot easier because oil, seasoning, salt, pepper etc can be stored there without junking up the counter top. I love it.

• Danette
    4 years ago

You may have a bit of time still to select. My cabinet people won't come out to field measure/order until the demo is complete (It's also part old,old kitchen, part addition). Demo has now been ongoing for over two weeks and will be at least a couple more weeks. Lots of moving plumbing, walls, electric, gas, radiators, etc...still need LVL beams installed and engineer has been out for a week.

And I'm still trying to pick out a counter and backsplash.

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist here are some photos.

my dinning room · More Info

my entry · More Info

stairs · More Info

living room · More Info

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago

how about something like this, but with an oak island? I think this is what Daisychain01 was suggesting?

Kitchen Transformation · More Info

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

Caroline, you've decorated your house so beautifully : ) .

One thing to consider esp with your inspiration pictures is your budget. I see Gil Schafer lol who is very, very spendy. One thing to consider is local, possibly Amish or Mennonite, cabinetmakers. Here's cpartist's thread on trying to figure out her kitchen cabinets,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/talk-me-off-the-ledge-regarding-using-amish-mennonite-cabinet-makers-dsvw-vd~4352586

I would take your time with the kitchen reno to make sure it's done well and lives up to your style.

Anglo didn't mention that her countertops are Corian, much more hard-wearing than marble, so that might be something to consider.

What are the floors in the family room? Do you want to match what's there or look for something new for the entire kitchen/family room space?

Are you changing just the look of the kitchen or the layout as well? I think the best way to start is to read through this thread -- make sure you don't miss the first few comments which are follow-ups,

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-dsvw-vd~5500754#n=445

Also, here's an older thread from ILoveRed,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2698370/inset-quartersawn-oak

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    thank you Beckysharp. I looked through all the post and lots of good info. My inspiration pics are for style and color, only. I won't be getting high end cabinets. I looked up that designer and I loved all his stuff. I haven't made a decision on the floors. I have hickory engineered wood upstairs and on the stairs. My choices, for floors are engineered wood on whole down stairs, lvp whole down stairs or engineered wood, in the livingroom and by stairs and tile in the kitchen/family room. I would love suggestions on the flooring. Thanks
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Danette, what is an lvl beam?. Our biggest issue is seismic and wind issues. I live in a windy part of CA and the new rooms have to come up to the new codes.
    4 years ago

If you are happy with white cabinetry, I think that would be a more affordable option. You might want to consider Ikea if you have one nearby.

My choices, for floors are engineered wood on whole down stairs, lvp whole down stairs or engineered wood, in the livingroom and by stairs and tile in the kitchen/family room. I would love suggestions on the flooring.

Whatever you choose, I would pick the same flooring throughout the main floor because it looks less choppy.

There are enough people in the forums who don't like vinyl plank flooring, but I do. We used it for an addition and kitchen remodel in our old house (Home Depot's Trafficmaster brand), and then used Karndean in a wood look for our new house, throughout the entire house, including bathrooms and laundry rooms. We live on a farm, and the price point and easy maintenance is great for us, especially on the first floor which is open concept. The vinyl is great in the kitchen but also works well in the dining room and living room, where we have Persian rugs.

4 years ago

I have hickory engineered wood upstairs and on the stairs.

I missed this part. It might look best to do this throughout the main floor.

Here's an older classic GardenWeb kitchen, you could just substitute an oak island,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2678448/finished-kitchen-circa-1840-working-farmhouse-ikea-budget-reno#n=107

Some more threads,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2691770/a-year-in-the-making-my-new-kitchen-w-pics#n=155

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5647040/white-shaker-battle-ikea-vs-the-rest-of-the-cabinet-world#n=41

• Danette
    4 years ago
    Caroline, lvl beams are support beams that are installed when a load bearing wall is removed, which we did. Unfortunately, I may have to have a support column too, which would mess with my kitchen layout plan...
  • gtcircus
    4 years ago
    I also went with a “green” kitchen after years of having intense red and cobalt blue. I just wanted CALM. One thing to understand before the critics complain is I am a spinal cord injury survivor. I fell off a horse and broke my back in 1989 and was told I would never walk again. I told the dr to GTH.. But I have deficits so I planned my kitchen around my current situation and also if my situation changed. That is why I have told you to focus on how you really live and cook. I LOVE my kitchen because I can cook with only taking a step off a stool which may be important for me in the future, but may have nothing to do with others. I also now have 180 viewers of the lake standing at my sink. Again, get honest with how you live, how you cook and how you entertain. And you will have our dream kitchen no matter your budget. It’s not how much you spend, but the consideration and thoughtfulness that goes into a kitchen that makes it workable versus just throwing up cabinets.
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Danette we have 2 support beams. I hope your column works well.
  • Helen
    4 years ago

You can get the look you want without the cabinets being inset. I just finished a remodel and to maximize interior space, I had full overlay drawers with some full overlay doors and inset doors where I wanted a true furniture look in the cabinets that ran into the dining room.

My cabinets were made by a local cabinet maker for about what it would have cost for a semi-custom plus they were fully custom with no need for fillers and with certain custom features like toe kick step stools.

My cabinets are quarter sawn oak.

Upper cabinets are inset - tall cabinets and lower cabinet doors and drawers are full overly

Tall cabinets and drawers are full overlay

Glass front cabinets are inset

• Holly Stockley
    4 years ago

Well, what sort of advance planning ought to have happened or not is, at this point, neither here nor there.

Caroline, my advice would be to choose your floor first, as that's going to be your most limiting option. Then countertops. (And if you want white, I'd second the suggestion to look at white corian) Then cabinet color, and finally choose a backsplash when everything else is in place.

You might also give a look at Holiday. They have some nice options and if you take a leaf from Helen's book and use a few inset cabs strategically, you can get very close to the look you want.

It's sometimes worth also checking around for a local cabinet maker. They vary wildly in price and quality, but sometimes can be excellent bang for you buck.

I do think you really want a KD in on this, so you get the best layout and options possible. While you look for one, set up some Pinterest boards with images that appeal to you - and don't forget to mark each pin as you save it to remind yourself what about that image you liked!

Maybe go find the thread for CP's finished house, as well. Her kitchen is lovely, and I think has a lot of elements you'd find appealing. Use her as a resource, since she spent a lot of time assembling an excellent Craftsman style kitchen.

I'd also suggest not going overboard on the Craftsman detailing - it won't work very well with your house. So, it's as well that you don't want to do the intricate woodwork on the doors. I'd probably also avoid the "prairie" style grilles on any glass-front cabs. Craftsman, done authentically, is a lot of look and it might fight with the other elements you have going on there. I think you want more "Craftsman Lite."

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I have seen some full overlay doors that give the illusion of inset -- in a moderate priced brand if I recall correctly, but right now I don't remember which. I'll come back and edit this post if I find it; I just wanted to put that out there so you can look yourself if you are so inclined.

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    bellburgmsghie I appreciate your advice. Honestly, I don't cook much any more. My kitchen has been a disaster, for many years. And, it is very small. When we bought it when we were in our 20s, I thought it was a palace HaHa. My sink and dw are perpendicular to each other. To rinse dishes, I have to lean over the dw door. My counter space is only 2 two foot sections. So anything is a major improvement and my husband and I are looking forward to cooking again. But, mostly I am excited about Holiday dinners with a room full of cooks. God bless you , I hope your injury never stops you from your cooking. Your kitchen is lovely.
  • Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Helen thanks for the advice. I will talk to my contractor about it. I adore your back splash.
  • Helen
    4 years ago

@Caroline - As others posted, all my cabinets were done by a local cabinet maker. If you can find a talented one in your area, it's a great way to go.

The medallion was done by Premiere Copper from a design sketched by my designer. I love Art Nouveau and have a crane statue which we used as inspiration. My kitchen isn't slavishly anything but was inspired by a bit of Prairie, a bit of Arts & Crafts, a bit of Art Nouveau and a soupçon of Art Deco.

My bathrooms have the same cabinet door but with bronze antique mirror inset and my bathrooms are more Art Deco with Chinoiserie wallpaper. :-).

• Caroline H
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Holly Stockley Thanks for your advice. I agree to tone done the craftsman style. And, I will definitely check out Corian. I like it. I actually have years of pins, on pinterest. This project has been a long time in the planning. Of course, my ideas have changed many times. And, they are still changing , at this time. My contractor tells me he has a company he has used for years and my cabinets can be done on time. I have new questions for him. I didn't even realize the doors I was drawn to were inset. Haha. All the advice and pics of everyone's kitchens are great help.