Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diana_m_kats

How to make dining room look less farmhouse?

D Kats
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Is there any way I can style this table to look less farmhouse? My apartment is pretty modern looking and my husband wants to get this table for the dining room but I don't think it will match. I have an open kitchen/dining room/living room setup and my kitchen is white with white and gray countertops. We will also be purchasing new chairs and a sideboard/buffet so can maybe play with that to tone down the table? Including pictures of my kitchen and the space where dining table will go!

West Elm Anderson Table

Comments (16)

• maddielee
    4 years ago

I don’t consider that table to be farmhouse style at all. (If anything the benches might give a small vibe of farmhouse.)

• D Kats
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't know, even the salesperson at the store said that table will make my apartment look like a farmhouse! My husband really likes it but I just can't picture any other furniture around it. Any suggestions for a sideboard that would go well with it? And what style of chairs?

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I think you should be thankful...most men seem to want overstuffed black leather recliners, not a beautiful table like that!

I don't think it looks farmhouse, either. I wonder if the salesperson just uses that term because so many people WANT farmhouse style and they thought they could make a sale?

It looks modern to me, too, although it could work with other styles, too. It's definitely shown with modern chairs in that pic. Your bar stools look more farmhouse/country to me than that table.

Did you look at West Elm dining chairs? They have a great selection of modern style chairs. Maybe pick a few you like and post here for others' opinions if you want them?

• henno_fm
    4 years ago

table itself is not farmhouse.. but maybe the colors

you can add some chairs with black/grey and metal details and choose a matching chandliere with obvious lines

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

That is a beautiful, contemporary table. It is nice. BUT, the size doesn't look like it would fit in your space easily? And you would have to select very slim line chairs, plus the bar stools would have to be changed. That French Country look (and they look too high for that island) won't work. The table almost could go "mid-century" and with a bubble chandelier it would go that direction.

Interiors · More Info

A tulip table might fit your space better.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Venus Capiz Shell Pendant · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Lettie 5-Light Gold Leaf Detail 49" Pendant · More Info

Or modern chandelier.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Fine Mod Imports Jays Counter Stool, Natural · More Info

• sableincal
    4 years ago

Flo - New York Magazine has a two-page spread on your chandy, but shown in black. Apparently it's the rage in NYC!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Can you take a picture of the entire space, seating area included? And wahat are the dimensions of that dining area behind the chairs ? I'd look at Room and Board.Much nice quality than West Elm and a lot of options. You can pick tops for many bases.

You need new counter stools too : )

Or look at Hooker

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

Table looks almost MCM, not farmhouse at all. Can you try photoshopping it into your space. Or at least lay out blue tape to see if it's a fit.

I do like the idea of a tulip table in your space (like Flo posted), could work well with the area that looks a bit tight for a rectangular dining table.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Diana, you need to make a decision about which way to go. That table is in no way farmhouse. It is definitely modern. The architecture of your space is transitional leaning contemporary, and the existing furniture that we can see is transitional leaning traditional.

If we had more photos of the space it would help. I can see that table with your armchairs, but not with your current bar stools or dining chairs.

Is this a long-term rental or a way station on the way to your own house with a style all your own? If it's temporary, then I'd start aiming at the ultimate style direction you want to go.

• D Kats
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone! We recently bought this apartment, fully furnished, and haven’t moved in yet. We will be replacing all of the furniture over time. We didn’t plan on replacing any yet, but the current dining table is a glass top, and with two small children it isn’t practical. I still feel that the West Elm Anderson table is too bulky for the space so we decided to go with the modern table, and midcentury chairs. We will be getting counter stools to match the chairs as well. I think this table and chair combo fits the space significantly better. I will post final photos once everything is delivered. Thanks again!
  • groveraxle
    4 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. That clears up a lot.

It appears you are getting the upholstered chairs to go with the table instead of the chairs shown with it in your first image. Let me just put in a word for the leather Slope bar stools. They are the most comfortable bar stools ever. You might consider getting those instead of going matchy-matchy with the dining chairs.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Your DR is not farmhouse and the kitchen can pass for contemporary. The issue is your French chairs and barstools. Switch them to something that goes with the sleek, mod table and you'll be out of the farmhouse woods!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz