Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_30269123

Costs to get electrical service from transformer pole to my property

Texas36 Texas
4 years ago

Costs to get electrical service from transformer pole to my property. was told I can go overhead or underground but overhead requires 20 feet easement. If it’s 20 feet does that mean just access to or can pole be placed next to my shop building? Also what is the estimated cost of a New pole or a transformer box run all the way to property? All I am told is it’s not cheap. But I’d like to hear a dollar amount. I realize there are a lot of questions but whatever info can be provided would appreciate it. Looking to run to a couple RV’s..

Comments (31)

• girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

It is what ever they want to charge. 25 years ago we built a new home on 2 acres. We were one of the first homes to be built in the neighborhood and we paid $500. to have electric run under ground to our house. A couple of months later they went up to $2500. in the neighborhood. This was all under ground, I am in N. TX.

• B Carey
    4 years ago

I am paying $9200 to have electrical run under the main Country Road, then 1/4 mile (a little more actually as it is winding) underground...borrowing under 2 culvert sections and my own transformer box. Our hookup and permitting fees are very inexpensive compared to other areas.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was told I could dig the trench and power company would give me 150 feet wire for free but if I needed more then I was not sure if I could pay for extra out of my pocket or if that meant a pole was required If it was more than 150 feet?

• girlnamedgalez8a
    4 years ago

Have you asked them your questions?

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Carey how many poles are you adding and at what distance apart each other? What is cost of a transformer box?

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did ask some questions but the master electricians are always intimidating when I ask to break down step by step what I need. But just want to make sure I understand what I need.

• B Carey
    4 years ago

No poles since it is underground wire. The transformer box is a green 3ft by 3ft box. The outright cost to run the electrical would be much more expensive, they discount the service when you are building a house. You have to have the foundation in before they will install as some people decide just to build a shop!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Don't let the trades intimidate you!!! If you do, you will be on GW constantly and be crying the blues!!! YOU'RE paying them to work FOR YOU!!! They are not doing you a favor.

• just_janni
    4 years ago

Our local utility would subside the hookup for about 50' and drop a line / bury it from the pole. We had about 350', so ultimately ended up trenching and burying conduit ourselves. That would have been an additional $12K for them to do it.

• trifecta264
    4 years ago

I needed to have a new pole erected to move my neighbor's cable and phone wires from the pole in the center back of the servitude behind my back fence. Not only did I not want his wires crossing over the corner of my yard as it had been over the empty lot for years, I was building a pool in that exact location. Fought very hard to get this for less or for free, No go. It cost me $2500 for them to erect new pole in corner of

servitude, including relocating the wires to the new pole.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Gotcha. Good info folks. And the lineman did tell me they would install if I build a house but I’m really just thinking to put a couple RV’s for now. I dont want to trade my neighbors I have now. and Is there a certain distance a transformer has to be before another transformer is added? Or can someone run wire as far as needed to a meter from a transformer? im needing atleast 250’ to get to my property line.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

We're going approximately 700' and electric company is charging us $8k.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I am paying $9200 to have electrical run under the main Country Road, then 1/4 mile (a little more actually as it is winding) underground ... borrowing under 2 culvert sections and my own transformer box. Our hookup and permitting fees are very inexpensive compared to other areas.

We're only a hair under your cost ... they don't have to run UNDER a road for us, and our distance is only about half yours. So I'd say we're neck-and-neck.

We are doing buried lines, which is not typical here.

I dislike paying for "invisible stuff", but I do think this is a reasonable cost.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. I see costs will vary a lot. But underground the wiring can run as far as you need without a pit stop in between correct? Unlike overhead where you need a pole every so many feet?

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

I have a 20 ft easement on our five acres FOR THE NEIGHBORS BEHIND US TO GET ELECTRIC!. (yes, this is in Texas). There are poles - I cannot put anything 'permanent' on that easement. I have a 'co-op' here - that easement was in place when I purchased the property so have no idea when/how long/cost. Go visit your electricity provider for correct info.

• shivece
    4 years ago

Every utility is different. Most utilities have a tariff on file with the Public Utilities Commission (or whatever the regulatory body is called in your state) and it is available on the PUC and/or the utility website. The cost is usually regulated and the tariff approved by the PUC. The tariff should describe all aspects of the cost of line extension service. Different aspects of the cost may be in different parts of the tariff. Because people don’t usually run electric service for RV’s only, there is the potential the tariff is not clear about the service or cost in your situation. If you don’t think the cost the utility is proposing to charge you is consistent with the tariff, call the utility commission customer assistance line. Most states also have a consumer advocate office that can help you as well. Utilities often subsidize the cost of line extensions because they will get amortizing revenue from year round electric service. It is possible they have the ability to charge you the full, unsubsidized cost because revenue from RV service is limited and intermittent. One thing you can be sure of is the line will have to meet National Electric Safety Code standards for the proposed use. You may want to check that out as well.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. We have a co-op here as well and have specific code to follow for it to be approved and connected so I’m sure the power company will keep me within regulations.

New- beginnings—- There is a 20 ft easement as well on power company pole. If I install a transformer pole on my property does the neighbor get to run wire from this pole if they choose to build near it? Just a question because if the neighbor benefits then maybe I can talk to him about splitting costs.

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

another question for the co-op - if you had simply said 'your own power pole to bring in electric (no transformer on it) and the pole was not on the easement, the answer would probably be different than 'transformer pole on your property (on the easement or not on the easement?) again, you might get two different answer here also. I am on San Bernard (Austin and Waller counties primarily)

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok thanks new beginning—- is like my own power pole but if I was told coop only supplies 150 feet because after that the voltage drops doesn’t that mean I’m needing a pole that has a transformer? Not just a pole? I’m asking. And there is no easement even though there is a pole with transformer behind a home that is two lots down. I’m not sure what the rules are on coming off this transformer pole or is it specific for that home only?

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

I will look at our set up tomorrow (in the process of moving and at new place right now). Home is approx 500 ft off the state road which is where the power comes in to the property - will look to see where transformer is but I can only note that those poles that run North up the easement are delivering power to the home behind us (and our property is 900 ft deep at that point). There are actually three homes on the property so where the pole that is closest to the road is located, there are two meters. The home that is towards the back of the property must have the meter on a different pole. Perhaps I will attempt photos! If you want overhead (satellite photo) let me know and I could e-mail longitude/latitude numbers.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. Yes you can email some photos. I’ll show you what I have as well. It’s confusing because everyone provider offers different things. Some say you should get first pole free. But it’s not the case. Then I was told voltage drops so they don’t give more that 150 feet of wire so I’m assuming I would need another pony pole but does that include a transformer? If it does include transformer and anyone can come off the pole then possibly I can use the neighbors transformer pole. Unless they are designated to the owners property?

Texas6023@aol.com

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Your best price will be from a little east of south central North Dakota, but when you factor in travel, it will be the worst price. Maybe you should get your advice locally.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

The OP has posted several good posts, but the only useful answers are all from his local jurisdiction. Seems he prefers to post here and get lots of inapplicable responses.

• Texas36 Texas
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahha.

Oh wait it wasn’t that funny.

Hey mark,

Can a plat be made after all construction and private road has been formed for primary residence?

i will ask locally but just getting different perspectives on things. Sorry to inconvenience your replies.

• sumac
    4 years ago

So every utility is different. Talk to the SERVICE PLANNER for your area.

• alphacrux
    4 years ago

With some of these prices, it may soon be economical to go off-grid solar with battery storage (not quite there yet).

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

"Can a plat be made after all construction and private road has been formed for primary residence?"

I would agree with whatever answer you receive locally. I do not want to mislead you.

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

Everything is local! We had power company run new poles down our road, transformer at road/ driveway intersection, and then underground about 300 feet to our shed: FOR FREE!!

• Pinebaron
    4 years ago

We are in PNW. My GC laid 400‘ of conduit each for power, gas and cable; the power company charged around $2200 for the extra footage above their free first 180 or 200’. I thought the charge was reasonable for a 400amp transformer and suitable cable to our meter box concealed behind the property as are all other utilities.

• HU-758257739
    3 years ago

we are in Mason county Wa and to run power 90 feet it is 8k. every place is different