Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daytonite7

How do y'all get motivated to pull weeds

I just got off work and looked in the garden and shuddered. It's so hot out, I'm tired from working 12 hours, and I have a million and one things to do. But, I know if I don't get out there and start pulling, they will take over.

Comments (21)

• cooper8828
    4 years ago

I get motivated by thinking how many more weeds there will be if it goes to seed. Honestly, I listen to an audiobook and it's pretty relaxing.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked cooper8828
  • Irving Ragweed (Austin 8b)
    4 years ago

I remind myself that pulling up weeds is much less time consuming than pulling each individual hitchhiker seed off my clothes.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked Irving Ragweed (Austin 8b)
  • Sara Malone Zone 9b
    4 years ago

Ditto on the audiobooks. I have read dozens over the last year while yanking. But the funny thing is that now certain areas of the garden now unwillingly bring to mind certain books, those that I was reading while I weeded there!

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • zippity1
    4 years ago

i try to weed a few minutes (or feet) at a time if i try to do everything it takes days and i can't talk myself into doing it......so i may pull for 5 minutes and then again for 30 and a couple of days later for an hour or so ..... I ALSO listen to audio books while weeding earbuds are the best ever....

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked zippity1
  • zippity1
    4 years ago

i also use a really good grade of screened compost heavily on my garden once or twice a year, i've found this helps immensely the only things i'm struggling with on the weeding front is "nutgrass" and some bermuda....bermuda is the absolute bane of my life.....i hate that stuff.....

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked zippity1
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

Once the weeds are cleared from an area return frequently with a hoe and scuffle off any seedlings as soon as they appear. Make sure they never get a foothold again. Or mulch. Lots of weeds are a sign that too long has gone by with no maintenance. Little and often is key.

• annpat
    4 years ago

I don't weed much. I'm a mulcher.

• lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
    4 years ago

I like to get out early in the morning before work, even if it's only for ten or fifteen minutes in the pre-dawn dusk. The difference in temperature is substantial enough to help keep me moving and happy.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked lilyd74 (5b sw MI)
  • dbarron
    4 years ago

I'm lazy, I try to mow or weedeat or Roundup (yes I know...bad), and if I can't do that..I'll pull them/dig them.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked dbarron
  • armoured
    4 years ago

Mostly I don't. Fortunately another family member likes taking care of the flower beds. Me, I'll mulch heavily in areas around trees where only the weeds like to grow. And occasionally pull out the prickly stuff and dandeliions that grow in the yard, or try to before they go to seed.

The only thing I make effort on is the stinging nettles (for the benefit of children) - scythe them where they grow heavily outside the yard by the road, neighbours' and our own property - nobody's ever complained.

In my own yard, I just try to pull them up by the roots. I should put gloves on, but I don't always bother. Strangely, I've become rather used to the sensation - still hurts but just part of the experience. From personal experience I can say that if you pull a lot of stinging nettles, either the nettles themselves or the body's reaction to pain (endorphins?) induces some darn interesting reactions. Not saying I recommend, mind, but interesting.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked armoured
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

I find weeding to be an extremely therapeutic activity :-) Almost zen-like to be outside, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells and being focused and productive. One of the best things about weeding is being able to visibly see the progress made and the improvement immediately. It is immensely satsfying!

I do a little bit everyday when I inspect the garden so they never get out of control. It is important to keep on top of them, otherwise the task becomes daunting and almost overwhelming. Once they are removed, mulch well.

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

take a few minutes.. and do one square foot ...

when you next walk by it.. you will be motivated to do a more ... so do 2 more sq ft ... etc ..

its hard to start.. when you feel overwhelmed ... but if you get one peek at how good it will look .. after its done... you will want to do more ...

and .... breaking it into smaller .. enjoyable parts ... actually gets you started ... whereas .. when you are overwhlemed.. you just want to go back in the house ..

i used to tell the kids.... you need to see a light at the end of the tunnel.. and each little bit of the project done.. it gets a little brighter ...

ken

Daytonite TN Zone 7b thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Richard Brennan
    4 years ago

Like Annpat I am a mulcher. About four inches of straw and coffee grounds in early June around the vegetables and wood chips around the perennials. Then in the fall I "put things to bed" with about five inches of shredded leaves everywhere. Only a few very determined weeds make it up, or some grass that is rooting underground. Those are pretty easy to yank out when I come by doing other chores. Bare ground is your enemy. Seeds will blow in and something will grow.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    4 years ago

My biggest weed problems are in the paths...can't mulch and won't spray. So I yank!

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    4 years ago

If there is room between the desirable plants, I try to put newspaper or cardboard down after weeding then put mulch on top to hold it down. That way I don’t have to weed much again.

• glib2
    4 years ago

I juice the edible ones. Lots of Mg, Ca and K. Specially good are the thistles, since the thorns stay in the pulp.

• toxcrusadr
    4 years ago

If it's hot until sunset, get yourself an LED headlamp and do night gardening! Your neighbors might think you're nuts but who cares.

• glib2
    4 years ago

whoa Tox, vitamin D is half the benefit of gardening. Just make yourself a fruit shrub from last year's excess fruit, and garden as close as possible to mid-day.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I typically work early mornings in hot weather and like others have mentioned, often listen to books on tape that I can borrow electronically from the library to keep my brain occupied as I weed. I either hand weed or use my stirrup hoe. I use a combo of strategies to maintain, either mulching well or using the hoe, depending on the particular plants and garden type.

• steve2416
    4 years ago

Like annpat and richard I'm a mulcher. I use leaves that have turned to leaf mould and after ringing around the tomatoes, peppers and dill, etc I start covering the bare areas in between. It's a game and I'm always so happy with my results - seems like there is an instantaneous growth spurt from the individual plants. Ruth Stout is my inspiration, she said mulch over weeds 'cause they can't stand the loss of sunlight and it increases the fertility of the soil. She was right, my hard NC clay now looks like chocolate cake and I can dig planting holes with my fingers. Most of my "weeds" are volunteer veggies from last year!