Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torri_christensenmatsen

trim troubles today!

The trim I picked doesn't fit on all the doors and closets, as spacing is tight in some places. The trim guy just cut one side off to fit against the wall, leaving the other side sticking out. Do I put just a plain trim piece in these spots or leave it "unmatched" like this? Help ASAP, the trim guy is here working.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO you need smaller trim I would not like that solution

• chiflipper
    4 years ago

Cut off the "flair & edge", best to have the top trim "match" on both sides.

• bebreli
    4 years ago

Sometimes there are tight corners. I have actually seen this in several smaller homes - original craftsman trim that one side is not flared and runs smaller as it does not fit. How close is this to other doors? If there is a door say to the right of this door that is trimmed properly I would leave it. If this door is independently in a room without other doors or top trim to match to then I would change it to fit. Depends on how much it will bother you. Also with the interior casing being natural wood it makes it more noticeable then if the inside jam was all white to match.

• Torri Christensen Matsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions!

• highdesertowl
    4 years ago

Even if you cut off your top, right edge to match--the rest of the trim on the right side looks much wider than that on the left side. You would need to cut the trim narrower all the way down, and that will look undersized in relation to the top piece. I would just leave it as is--or choose a much narrower trim all around.

• Mrs. S
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I agree with Hallett. Funny that most folks are saying to cut down the trim on the right side. Funny because the issue has come up before and I am pretty darn sure that the answer is always that homes aren't always designed with the trim in mind, and you just continue the pattern of the trim around the house, and sometimes the trim disappears into the wall. I think the worse solution is to design a different trim around every doorway. Some doorways are smack up against a wall, so I guess some are saying you don't trim out that kind of door?

I think you DO trim the doors, and do them just like you're doing. Your trim isn't too wide, I think it looks nice. Love the beefy white trim.

Recently, the issue has come up with curtain rods as well. (Was it this forum or some other?) The general consensus as I recall, is to let the curtain rod die into the wall, and your eye will never notice that.

• Kathy
    4 years ago

Best to fit as your carpenter suggests. Once it is filled and painted you won’t think twice about it. Here are examples of trim, done differently on both sides of a bathroom door. I like the “wrong one” best, the one that dies into the room wall. The “proper one” with the gap against the wall bugs me.

• Kathy
    4 years ago

Torrie, He is doing a fine job! It’s going to be great. Enjoy your project, feed your carpenter treats!

• Torri Christensen Matsen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You have all put my mind at ease. Thank you so much for the help!

• Sammy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Given the circumstances, the carpenter is doing the right thing. (You can’t have too much reassurance, right?)

Good luck with the rest of your project!