Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annievibes

Hydrangeas or Roses for front yard?

annievibes
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey guys, I live in zone 7a Central PA, where we get rough winters. My front yard is currently a blank canvas and I wanted to add some color and appeal. I can't decide if I want hydrangeas or roses (perhaps knock out roses? since I read those bloom easily) for my front yard.

In that area it gets full morning sun not sure for how long, I guess overall I want the one that requires the lowest maintenance, blooms the most, and will come back year after year. I know both do, and ultimately it depends on care/location but yeah..

I plan on adding stones and black mulch if anyone was wondering :)

This is an old photo so the front yard has changed but I added a red x to the bushes because I removed them all. Also, the yellow section on the left is the part where I want to work on first. Should I buy about three plants?

Comments (14)

• annievibes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Embothrium, that's a great idea! And it explains why so many gardens have those low green shrubs. I will for sure add some to the front yard garden!

• littlesmokie
    4 years ago

What are dimensions of area you marked yellow?

I might suggest removing grass to make your planting beds deeper. And/or you could also consider creating a gentle curve to one or both beds.

As I recall knockouts are thorny so I’d put them under your front window (intruder deterrent) and hydrangeas near the porch seating area where you won’t be grabbed by a wayward thorn.

Agree you‘ll still want evergreen structure... you could consider sarcoccoca (aka sweet box) in shady spot adjacent to hydrangeas which would provide evergreen color and a bonus of late winter fragrance near your front door :)

annievibes thanked littlesmokie
  • getgoing100_7b_nj
    4 years ago

Roses do require significant upkeep. Thrips, sawfly, black spots. They really are high maintenance no matter whether it's knockout or any other so called disease resistant rose. Just my 2 cents.

annievibes thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • annievibes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you smokie & getgoing,

After all the suggestions, I will def add evergreens! Very glad I came here before buying roses, I know they say some roses are low maintenance but the more I read about them the more it seems like they'll require more care than what I can give them since I quite honestly don't spend too much time in my front yard.

• Tracey Woods
    4 years ago

Try to get a better idea of the amount of full sun and the hours. I love Hydrangea (oak leaf is my favorite), so many varieties but they don’t like late day sun. Are deer a problem by you? head to a garden center and make an appt for a design consultant. Think in layers and patterns and a color theme. You will need evergreens, deciduous shrubs, and perennials. Have fun!!

annievibes thanked Tracey Woods
  • Tracey Woods
    4 years ago

Can you add a photo of the full elevation?

annievibes thanked Tracey Woods
  • Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

I am in zone 7b (Lawrenceville, GA, near Atlanta). We have lovely knockout roses in our frontyard, which have been reliable bloomers and low maintenance during the year and a half that we have lived here. There was a small hydrangea in the backyard when we moved in, and we have since added two more; they're doing well, but they require frequent watering. So far, it seems to me that the roses have bloomed more and required less maintenance. That said, I love both types of plant.

annievibes thanked Elaine Ricci
  • annievibes
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry for the late response! Thank you for the suggestions! The front area gets about 6 hours of sun. I was talking it over with my husband and he said it would probably be better to plant annuals per season, I'm considering it! And perhaps just leave the hydrangeas and roses in my back yard.

I'm going to start a new thread with updated photos for design purposes :)

• Nadya
    4 years ago

Roses are NOT low maintenance at all. For the front elevation, you want something with continuous bloom - hydrangeas are way better. Roses are lovely but they come and go.

• kings_rose
    3 years ago

Roses evergreens and hydrangeas I have all three

• bellarosa
    2 years ago

Hydrangeas underplanted with catmint.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

If you want to know about true low-maintenance roses ask on the roses forum. Flower Carpet roses may be something to consider if you want a low growing rose in front of your porch. There are also small hydrangeas, but I can't recall the names. I agree about adding some evergreens for winter interest.

• bellarosa
    2 years ago

A row of Bobo hydrangeas (they only grow 2-3 feet tall) would be stunning.