Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

What are we reading in June 2019?

Annie Deighnaugh
4 years ago

I just finished The Notebook...quick read, chick lit little love story. It went down easy enough but I'd classify it summer beach reading.

Next up for book group The Hate U Give.

Comments (55)

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I just started the fifth in the Matthew Shardlake series, Heartstone. They just keep getting longer. They are good filler books for me. I do love the Tudor England setting.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

A month or so ago I slogged through Grisham’s The Reckoning. I didn’t really enjoy it much but stuck with it and it took me a while to start something else. Baldacci is one of my favorite author’s, and I love his Amos Decker series, so I nabbed Redemption and breezed through that.

A friend had bought a paperback at Costco and loaned me Pam Jenoff’s The Lost Girls of Paris which I finished the other day. I love the historical WWII spy genre so I did enjoy this one, even though I had sworn off WWII fiction for a while. It made me wonder how much truth there was to the story of the girls sent over to occupied France from the UK and how much their government really covered up for a while. Now I have started a beach read, Mary Kay Andrews Sunset Beach.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

After seeing it reviewed recently in The Washington Post, I picked up Normal People by Sally Rooney, a young Irish author. Apparently her debut novel, Conversations with Friends, got rave reviews but I had never heard of her or that novel either. I’m enjoying it so far. It’s about a relationship between two high school students who eventually go off to college, drifting in and out of each other’s lives. It deals with the complexities of love, social class, friendship, and more. A relatively short novel, I’ll finish it quickly.

• salonva
    4 years ago

I just finished Beartown which I was really impressed with. It's the same author as Ove, but I thought this was way better and meatier. I also thought it was beautifully written. 4.5 or even 5 stars.

On another forum several people have recommended The Bees by Laline Paull. I know nothing about it (that is often how I select books:) but it was available on kindle from my library so I will give it a try.

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

I may be the only one but I didn’t really care for Daisy Jones and the Six. I read the whole thing but I kept waiting for something interesting or provocative —most of it seemed very watered down. Maybe it was more that I expected to LOVE it but I felt very let down.

I am now reading The Sentence is Death by Anthony Horowitz. It’s ok so far we’ll see how it goes!

• lisaam
    4 years ago

Baltimore Book of the Dead, by Marion Winik is sort of like a book of beautifully written obituaries--loved it.

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

Funkyart, what I liked about Daisy Jones was how the author IMO created such a vivid set of characters that were not only very much of their place/time, but personalities who you could imagine experiencing what they did in the book. I"m also a sucker for a little variation on straight up narrative, so the as-told-to style with different characters' voices engaged me.

Then too I found it-like the latest film version of A Star is Born-to be firmly and charmingly a well done Achingly Romantic story. [MILD SPOILER] The love triangle was so beautifully developed, and it kept me waiting to see would they or wouldn't they all the way through to the end.

Having said that....I am firmly a believer that a book is good if you like it, and nobody else's opinions change that. I've certainly read my share of 'you'll love this' and thought 'meh, no I don't' so hopefully your next read is a better experience!

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

I’m rereading Carly Simon’s autobiography, “Boys in the Trees”. What a truly amazing, eventful life she’s led!

• Funkyart
    4 years ago

I agree, Running. Not all books are for all readers.

This one gets good reviews and the thumbs up from a few here — perhaps my issue is that I have known musicians and heavier partiers with addictions. I just found it very sanitized, watered down, tame. I was slightly touched by the ending but overall it just wasn’t enough to earn my thumbs up. But again, I know I’m in the minority.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

Funky, I think I mentioned here that I listened to the audio of Daisy Jones. I think the book was formatted in such a way that the audio version was very entertaining as each character was read by a different narrator so the characters really came alive. I might have had a different opinion if I read the book versus listened to it.

I finished Normal People. I intended to read the book but since I had the audiobook as well and had a road trip, I ended up listening. It was fine, but surprised it was nominated for several literary awards. It certainly wasn’t one I’d go out of my way to recommend but it was enjoyable enough.

Now I’m on to The Absolutist by John Boyne, a new favorite author of mine. I don’t anticipate this one being nearly as good as The Heart’s Invisible Furies, but he is such a talented writer.

• Sara
    4 years ago

Just finished the sixth Ruth Galloway mystery, The Outcast Dead. Enjoying the series so far but didn’t like this one at all.

Now reading So You Want to Talk About Race, by Ijeoma Uluo. It’s so good and perfectly fits with a lot of thinking and learning I’ve been doing lately about race.

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

4kids -I just discovered John Boyne too -after reading The Heart's Invisible Furies, which I think is the best book I've read in at least a year. Can't wait to read a few more of his novels.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just finished The Hate U Give...really good, 4 star, looking forward to the movie and book discussion.

Next up, as part of the great American read, I'm going to foray into the first Outlander book...

• jill302
    4 years ago

Life has been crazy. I am usually a voracious reader but have had trouble even getting my book club books read recently. Recently finished A Gentleman in Moscow, loved this book, the count is such a wonderful character. Currently reading Becoming, enjoying this book as well. Despite not being from South Chicago I can relate with a number of Michelle’s experiences and have enjoyed learning about her life. That said I am just at the halfway point.

• kkay_md
    4 years ago

I just finished a memorable novella of 118 pages. Entitled "Ghachar Ghochar" and by Vivek Shanbhag, described in a NYT review as an Indian Chekov. Quite a story. (The title is a nonsense term described by one of the characters as meaning "a tangle.") It reminds me, in its ability to capture a claustrophobic world in a spare work, of "Down the Rabbit Hole" by Juan Pablo Villalobos, a story told by the young son of a Mexican drug lord (even shorter, at 74 pages). Both are compelling reads.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I just finished Heartstone by C.J. Sansom (Matthew Shardlake). I think it's my favorite so far; I'm reading them in order and this is the fifth in the series. It takes place in 1545, mostly in and around Portsmouth, England, at the time of the French navy's approach. Of course there are a couple of completely fictional storylines, but I love the real historical setting and detail. I can't read these books without my iPad standing by to look up real things, like the ill-fated warship Mary Rose.

Next up, Beartown.

Then I shall return to Tudor England and the remaining two Shardlake books.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

Kkay, I read Ghachar Ghochar a couple of years ago. I typically write a small review on Goodreads of each book I read to help remind me what I liked or didn’t like, but for some reason I didn’t comment on this book. I can’t remind anything about it unfortunately! You’re the first person I “know” to read it. I think I just picked it up at the library after seeing it on their recommended reading shelf.

Bestyears, earlier this year I read Boyne’s latest book Ladder to the Sky. Though the main character is a narcissist easy to despise, the writing was again fantastic.

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

Chatted with my daughter, also a reader, last night who read Daisy Jones and the Six...and didn't care much for it. She mentioned a snarky Washington Post review which really cracked me up. For those who haven't read the book I don't think there are major spoilers; for those who have, enjoy!

• nutsaboutplants
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago
    • Just finished The Feather Thief . It was quite interesting, as I didn’t even know that there was this art called “fly tying” and that it had such crazed and crazy practitioners. Toward the last third of the book though, the only thing that seemed to keep the “Investigation” going was the author’s own interest. This left me with a vague feeling that the author was somehow conflicted, that he kept the investigation in the matter alive because he‘s a writer. in other words, we‘ll never know if he was interested because he wanted to write this book or he wrote this book because he was sufficiently interested Even before he planned to write the book.
  • larecoltante Z6b NoVa
    4 years ago

I’m reading Spying On The South by Tony Horwitz. Hilarious at times and a very painful, sobering reminder of long-standing divisions in the US. Excellent book.

• Oakley
    4 years ago

Lynn, I read “Boys in the Trees” a few years ago, great read. Love me some Carly. :)

• kkay_md
    4 years ago

4Kids, I came about reading "Ghachar Ghochar" in an interesting way. I have a dear friend in SF who often makes offbeat recommendations to me. She said she found the book in a lending library, and had no idea who put it in there, but she found it memorable. To jog your memory: It's about an Indian family that strikes it rich on the back of an uncle. When one of the characters marries, the new wife has a critical view of the family's wealth and behavior.

I think I listened to a podcast about the "Feather Thief" tale some time ago. The story was quite compelling.

I have a copy of "Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid that Sparked the Civil War" by Tony Horwitz. It's been on my TBR shelf for some time. With the news about his recent death, I've pulled it off the shelf and mean to dig in soon.

• lonestar123
    4 years ago

I'm reading the Guidepost Sugarcreek Amish series and the Guidepost mysteries of the minister's wife series.

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

I also read Carly Simon's book and also found it fascinating. I'm of their generation and still recall she and James Taylor as one of the all time great It couples--and looking at the pictures just reminds me of how gloriously gorgeous they were together.

And as with so many famous couples, how miserably unhappy that marriage turned out to be. For 2 people with seemingly charmed lives and every possible advantage they really ripped each other apart. Sad, but I do admire her ability to continue to live her truth and make her glorious music no matter what happened in her personal life.

And how funny that she's happily ensconced in what was once James' house on Martha's Vineyard with her family today!

• Lars
    4 years ago

I love the house where James Taylor grew up in Chapel Hill NC, and especially the furniture. I never liked Carly Simon, however, and she came across as bitter to me. Her songs had the worst lyrics, and her voice makes my skin crawl. I was not a James Taylor fan either, and so I never followed what happened in their personal lives.

I'm reading Marshal South and the Ghost Mountain Chronicles, which includes stories of another failed marriage. I bought the book while visiting Anza Borrego, which is one of my favorite parks.

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

I've just started the Carly Simon memoir, thanks to the provocation here, and am really enjoying it. Yesterday I listened to a few of her oldest songs after reading about their origins in the book, and it certainly added a new perspective. I'm just at the part where James has taken her back to the 'shack' he's building on Martha's Vineyard. I hadn't realized they'd first become acquainted with each other there before either was famous.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

Last night I finished Beartown. I couldn't put it down. It really exceeded my expectations. As I read it, I wondered if I'd stumbled into the wrong book. If I described it to myself, I think I might have passed on it. But it was wonderful, so well written, with a cast of characters that are all essential to the telling of the story. Past, present, and glimpses into the future.

ETA: Hockey is central to the story. I'm not a hockey fan and find it impossible to watch. But that doesn't make the book any less compelling. Imagine any other sport or activity that can possess an entire community.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

This isn't a book I am reading, but DH is. When I went to Kripalu last week, the woman who guided our hike on day one was talking about the aspects of trees' lives that most of us don't know about, and she mentioned this book, The Hidden Life of Trees (Wohlleban). She said it was such a great book, she's given it as a gift at least 20 times. So, I got it for DH and he's been glued to it, reading parts aloud to me (whether I want him to or not, but that's another story now that we are two weeks into his retirement!). So if you like nature, you might like this book, or a good idea for a gift for a nature-loving friend.

I am reading The Heart's Invisible Furies, which I like so far but have been too distracted to get into it too much -- I'm about 10% in.

I really liked Beartown, too! I gave it to DH but he doesn't seem to be into it. He put it aside for the tree book as well as Howard Stern's new(ish) book, which he loves. I think Howard Stern is a bit (okay, a lot) much, but he is a good interviewer.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just finished Outlander and I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Great summer read...like an Errol Flynn swashbuckler but told from the eyes of the female lead. Real chick lit. I'd give it a 4. I think I might binge watch season 1 of the tv program too, just to see how it aligns with the book.

That puts me at 49 of the Great American Read. I'm going to hit 50 and then take a break from the list and turn my attention to other books. I know I won't ever read all 100, but it's nice to chip away at the list.

Next up for book group is My Ex Life.

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

Sueb20 -thanks for the recommendation of The Hidden Lives of Trees -looks so intriguing! I just ordered it.

I'm reading Howard Stern's latest book, Howard Stern Comes Again. I was quite impressed with how much personal transformation he has undergone, thanks mostly to psychotherapy. The book is a collection of what he deems his best interviews. Compelling so far.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I’m rereading A Gentleman in Moscow. There’s so much detail I’d forgotten in just two years. Such a book.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

Just Finished Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Mikata. Very interesting look at societal pressure to conform as well as those cool Japanese convenience stores.

• runninginplace
    4 years ago

Reading a book on a serious and important subject. No Visible Bruises: What We Don't Know About Domestic Violence Can Kill Us is about the epidemic of abuse in our society and some of the ways that it can be predicted and stopped by law enforcement, medical practitioners and society overall. The author has a strong writing background and it shows; she presents facts and statistics blended with haunting and horrific, though unfortunately not rare, cases of abuse that led to tragic outcomes. I definitely recommend it although be forewarned it is hard to read in parts.

Next up for me is The River which has gotten quite a bit of summer-read buzz. I'm looking forward to it. Then I think I will go for something lighter like the latest Miss Julia book.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Those who like The Secret Lives of Trees, also check out Lab Girl. I thoroughly enjoyed it, with what I think is similar subject matter and an interesting story about a woman scientist.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just finished a very quick read...young adult...Ghost by Jason Reynolds. One of the Great American Read list. (I've hit 50 on the list now.) It was ok for what it was, but apparently enough to start a series of follow-on books. 3 stars only. Unlike other YA books that have a more broad appeal, this one is definitely geared toward the pre-teen/early teen age group.

Next up, another from the list: Gilead.

• dedtired
    4 years ago

I’m reading The Overstory by Richard Powers for book club. It won the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award, which for me does not always guarantee that I’ll like it. When I started reading it, it seemed like I was reading a series of short stories. The first third of the book tells the stories of different people and their relationship with trees. I think, although I’m not there yet, that all these people converge at some point. It’s about the relationship between nature and humans. Once I finish, I’ll report back. I will say that the writing is magnificent.

Might be be a good follow up for The Hidden Life of Trees.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow, the second time I've read it. And I had the exact same reaction at the very end, even though I knew what was coming. The exact same reaction. In just two years, I'd forgotten so much. I remember the overall plot, but it's the details and the relationships that make this book so wonderful. I long to have known the Count.

• czarinalex
    4 years ago

Bunny... thank you for recommending Beartown. I just finished it today. Excellent book! So thoughtful. The kind of book where you are reading for the story, but keep re-reading passages because they are so well written and the meaning resonates with you.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

czarinalex, I'm so glad you enjoyed Beartown. All the characters are so human, flawed, yet capable of such nobility.

• hhireno
    4 years ago

So far, I’ve enjoyed all Fredrik Bachman’s books. Beartown actually helped me understand how and why people get so wrapped up in sports. Even though the hockey was a big part of the story, it wasn’t too much for me, a person who has no interest in any sport.

His Us against You continues with the town and the people. I would recommend it if you liked Beartown.

• leela4
    4 years ago

I've read 2 of Fredrik Bachman's books-A Man Called Ove and Beartown and I really enjoyed both. DH is of Norwegian descent -grandparents homesteaded in Montana-so I could really appreciate Ove's character.

I don't remember who recommended The Great Believers but I finished it yesterday and it was really good. It was so significant historically in the ongoing AIDs battle. DH's brother is HIV positive, diagnosed several years ago (and mostly healthy; he also has Type 1 diabetes which complicates things a lot.) He was in his mid-twenties in the 80's, and he was living in San Francisco at that time. The book certainly increased my awareness of a problem that is not solved, and the continuing stigma associated with it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just finished Gilead, part of the great American read...I'd give a a 3.75...it was good and a very thoughtful piece, well written. A lot of religion/philosophy so for that reason I'd say not good for book group.

Next up, or soon, will be The Lilac Girls... GFs and I have put on our list to visit the home and gardens that inspired the book, so I want to read it before we go.

• happy2b…gw
    4 years ago

Annie, I have read The Lilac Girls and glad I did. I would love to see the gardens and home of the benefactor. I am on the waiting list for the author's new book, Lost Roses.

I just finished The Girl with 7 Names. The author revealed a lot about herself even her most personal thoughts fo guilt and longing. I am amazed at the craftiness of the North Koreans who survive but do not defect.. Voice is expected to be very strong in a memoir, but Hyonseo Lee wrote with exceptional frankness. Her depiction of her plight is detailed as if she was speaking directly to the reader.

I just started The Huntress. I think it will be a good story.

• czarinalex
    4 years ago

I just finished The Garden of Small Beginnings by Abbi Waxman. What a delightful book! Some chapters are LOL funny. A sweet story about grief, change, sisters, gardening and new friends. It's a small book.. I finished it in about 5 hours.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I see I never reported on The Hate U Give. I'd rate it 3 1/2. The group generally thought it was long for a YA book, and weren't overly impressed. We saw the movie first and then discussed the book. The movie ended differently than the book which was annoying and we thought there was a lot of bad casting for some of the key roles. However it did lead to a lot of good discussion, so for a book group book, it worked well. I think seeing the movie really enhanced the discussion.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

I took Where the Crawdads Sing on our cruise. Loved it. It was a perfect way to while away all the airport/bus time getting to the ship!!

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I read Daisy Jones & the Six while on vacation. I enjoyed it very much while waiting for planes, trains and automobiles. There were people in my life at that time frame who reminded me of the main character’s. I wasn’t overly close but their lives had many of the same parallel’s. I didn’t feel the addiction’s in the book were glossed over. The way the story was told was in many ways typical of the way that time eases a bit of the harsh reality and softens the edges. In real time I could imagine the volatility on steroids. I won’t give anymore away except to say that in order for Daisy to get to the good place at the end it would have been more realistic to mention how she had to do some serious mending. There are always casualties in the wake along the way.

• bella rosa
    4 years ago

Check the Elena Ferrante book, My Brilliant Friend and the other 3 books in the Neapolitan series. Wonderful read!

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

Bella, I haven’t read My Brilliant Friend but can’t wait for the 2nd series to come out. The first series was amazing.