Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancy_wethington

Help! Cherry Traditional Hutch with Trestle Table?

Nancy Wethington
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Wanting a more informal look in my dining room. It's somewhat open to the kitchen. So far I've refinished the kitchen table and moved it to the dining room. Added less formal chairs. Now what to do with my traditional cherry wood hutch? Leave it the way it is? Paint it all black? Paint black accents only? Help! Cheap Thrills on the Homefront

Comments (21)

• Laura Hill
    4 years ago

Black seems like it would be too “hulking”... what about a fun color? Are you keeping the dining room rug and the upholstered chairs? Love the quilt you have draped... what about patchwork/quilt slip covers for the upholstered chairs, and a nice neutral sisal rug? Pick out an accent color you love for the hutch...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I think they really do not work together but if you must keep it a color will for sure add some less formal look and I like the idea of the patchwork for the chairs.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

If you want to go for an eclectic look, it could work. Looks like your new chairs and table have navy blue, not black, though. If so, I would definitely not paint the hutch black! My first thought was navy, but I also like the fun yellow and red options pictured above. I'm not a pro.

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

Also, I love the idea of the quilted slipcovers for the upholstered chairs!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Good ol' chalk paint works wonders to tone down the formality of cherry or mahogany furniture.

I did a google search of "chalk paint hutch china cabinet" and came up with loads of images. Here's a link to a before and after of a piece very similar to yours:

http://gulliftys.us/seven-exciting-parts-of-attending-how-to-paint-a-china-cabinet/refinished-chalk-paint-china-cabinet-mixed-bag-of-moxie-how-to-paint-a-china-cabinet/

I'd do the hutch in a color that works with the rest of your decor if you think that black is too imposing. Maybe a blue/green or gray?

• shead
    4 years ago

My MIL painted her formal china cabinet so that she could use it as a display piece in her living room and it looks great! I think she might have used Agreeable Gray but I think you need more color. Here's some pics I saw on Pinterest. I really love this green:

This slate with the papered interior is really nice:

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    4 years ago

Which chairs are you keeping? If the upholstered are new, then I like the idea of the patchwork covers. Personally, I would have used the painted chairs all around the table.

If you aren't sure about painting the hutch, you could start by inserting a backing to cover up the mirrors. You could use a color, or even a pattern. Foamboard, covered in fabric or wallpaper would work.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Before you decide on the hutch, figure out what you're doing with the chairs. In my opinion, the upholstered chairs do not work with the wood chairs. Use one or the other, but not both.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Or green:

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Fuschia?

• shead
    4 years ago

I vote green and I agree about the upholstered chairs not really working with the table and painted chairs.

• Kathleen K
    4 years ago

If it is good shape don't destroy it with paint that will chip off later but be a pain to totally strip and restain. Sorry if i sound cranky but i have spent he last week rehabing a dresser that fell victim to grey and black paint trend before getting kicked to the curb.
    Seriously it will be easier to build a rustic piece out of 2x4s than paint that loverly ornate piece.
    Move it to another room.
    Sell it to someone with traditional taste.
    You can then something that fits your design. Or pocket the change and build something from pallet wood.
    Don't paint it.
    With the the black and wood of the table and chairs, a bright painted hutch would look great but it needs a simple line. Check second hand stores.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

Actually, Kathleen, chalk paint requires no stripping and does not chip. My husband used chalk paint on a 1930s mahogany chest of drawers and it turned out great. After you paint you apply a wax finish that seals the paint and doesn't chip or flake.

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

Just wondering - do you use all of your crystal and things in the china cabinet?

• Nancy Wethington
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not usually. Occasionally use them (maybe twice a year) for dinner parties.

• sunfeather
    4 years ago

There was no place for our china cabinet when we moved into a new house. I got rid of the top section and put the base in my guest room - it is mission style and looks OK for now. I'm planning to put a mirror over it. I also got rid of all of my crystal and formal china - it was pretty but I never used it.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

It's gorgeous wood, it works for an eclectic look, why make work for yourself. IMHO it is the chairs that don't work. They are too formal. I love the idea of patchwork recovering. Then call it a day. This is how I would look at it, your china hutch is a grande dame in the dining room. Let her sit there, just be herself, and enjoy her company! I think wood tones all go together well, much better than painting something in a color that some day you will tire of. Put painted wood over the mirror background if you are craving more color, but I think patchwork covers on the chairs or even patchwork table runner and/or placemats would look great!

On the one hand. On the other hand, I'd wait for a bunch of good nice cheap better looking chairs to come up on Facebook or Craig's list for sale by owner . . . So sorry if you love those chairs. They look comfy but something about the grey gives them too much somber/formal modern presence for a farmhouse-y eclectic look. Just my .02.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 years ago

I like groveraxle's green interpretation! The green makes the piece fade away somewhat whereas the yellow and pink only make it stand out more. Perhaps more of a sage color though that would tone it down even more and perhaps coordinate better with rug and upholstered chairs.

• homechef59
    4 years ago

Pimento. I'd paint it pimento. I painted a mirror frame with Krylon pimento spray paint as a base coat for a later application of gold leaf. I almost left it pimento. It was a great color.

I'd leave your china hutch just as it is. It shows character and a willingness to ignore trends. It's a useful piece of beautiful furniture. Just use it.

War story. I ended up with two very fine, very elegant antique mahogany dining room tables. I decided to sell one. I really didn't need it. After a discussion with a few of the antique dealers in my area and an offer of $500 for one, I decided to make one of them my breakfast room table. It used to be worth multiple thousands. If the table is only worth $500 in the resale market, I may as well use it as everyday furniture. What am I saving if for?

So, I have a very elegant Chippendale flame mahogany table in my breakfast area. We eat on it every day. Use your china, too. It's worth nothing. It should be used and enjoyed.

I like pimento.