Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slodebads

Oh help, it stands out like a sore thumb

Deb Slocombe
4 years ago

We just bought this house and after purchasing noticed that it looks way different than everything built around it. (Exhaustion will make you miss things like that.) They are all earthy colors brick and rock, this guy is clearly all off white brick. It is a great floorplan and fits our needs but stands out like a sore thumb due to the drastic difference in the way it looks. How can I soften the look with landscaping or otherwise? All advice is much appreciated.

Comments (32)

• Elaine Ricci
    4 years ago

As owner of the only mint-green house on our street, I concur with HL.

Deb Slocombe thanked Elaine Ricci
  • stumpydarby
    4 years ago

I have a blue house. There aren’t any blue houses anywhere close by. Who cares? Do what you like. You obviously liked it enough to buy it. Did you like the color of the house when you looked at it?

If the answer is yes … then don’t worry about it.

Deb Slocombe thanked stumpydarby
  • St561 W
    4 years ago

your house looks beautiful!

Deb Slocombe thanked St561 W
  • mmilos
    4 years ago

Sore thumb? Likely a swan in a sea of ugly ducklings.

Landscaping looks brand new...give it time to grow in.

Deb Slocombe thanked mmilos
  • mileaday None
    4 years ago

I'd do something easy - plant some flowers for color & interest until your bushes fill in more. I think a change of color on the front door & maybe the shutters also could make a big difference. Shutters at the top window or flower boxes at the first floor windows to bring the focus to street level. I think your house just needs color and a personal touch - I don't generally look at "the house" but at what has been added to it to make it a home.

Deb Slocombe thanked mileaday None
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your house is great, but your not happy with your competition. So go darker…you will be the envy of the neighborhood. And why not?

Deb Slocombe thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Lampsusa
    4 years ago

I don't see an issue. Yoiur home is striking in it's own way.

Deb Slocombe thanked Lampsusa
  • Julie Schmooley
    4 years ago

I think it looks really nice too!!

But consider what you don’t like, that it doesn’t match others or you don’t like the white and black scheme. Then go from there...

I love painted brick so I’m not going to be much help haaa but maybe lighten the front door, you could do a natural oak door with matching wooden shades or planter boxes. I think it’s just missing that third element of color and natural wood could be the trick. You could also tone down the landscaping with lighter bark.

Deb Slocombe thanked Julie Schmooley
  • Sarah
    4 years ago

Park your car in the driveway, hang a wreath on the front door & maybe a flag. Then stand across the street & take another photo. It’ll start to feel more like home soon!

Cute house & I love the color scheme.

Deb Slocombe thanked Sarah
  • PRO
    Blume Design Studio Landscape Designers
    4 years ago

It looks like the landscape was recently installed. I would give it a couple of years for that to grow in. I am always a fan of a walkway to the front door from the sidewalk which will break up the lawn and add more texture, possibly with a nice stone. A darker paint color would also help as JudyG suggested.

Deb Slocombe thanked Blume Design Studio Landscape Designers
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

You know, years ago we repainted a white house yellow. Within five years, six homes in the neighborhood were repainted some shade of yellow.
    Oue daughter repainted hers grey green. Guess what. Seven homes in the neighborhood in similar shades.
    our new home? A green with a little grey. several homes repainted...
    Maybe, you'll be the trendsetter.
    Paint, or don't. But do it because of your taste, and what YOU like. (Within reason, of course...)

Deb Slocombe thanked Oliviag
  • calidesign
    4 years ago

Your house looks great. The previous owner likely painted and re-landscaped to fresh it up. I think it's almost always unfortunate when someone paints the brick, but since its done just move in and enjoy.

Deb Slocombe thanked calidesign
  • Deb Slocombe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for the reassurance. It is a new build that has been sitting on the market for a YEAR. They gave me a good deal price wise so I just took a deep breath and jumped in. (Needed to find a place fast.) The white brick appears cold to me and I wonder if that is what was keeping it from selling. I appreciate all of the suggestions and reassurance. The photos below are representative of what is around this house. It is pretty much the only one with no rock. I'm just hoping that it matures nicely. Thank you all!

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Your home is very lovely! Maybe you could add some pizazz if you painted the door a dark red ( SW Rustic Red). Nothing is needed really.

Deb Slocombe thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • Olychick
    4 years ago

Um, you scored with such a nice looking house amongst some thorns, if there are more like the houses pictured. They should be the ones posting to figure out how to make their homes more attractive, not you! Sometimes less is more.

Deb Slocombe thanked Olychick
  • highdesertowl
    4 years ago

I love your house! The only thing I might consider would be to paint the garage door and fascia a darker color to match the shutters and front door.

Deb Slocombe thanked highdesertowl
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Changing the shutters and front door for less contrast might do the trick for you. Since it is new, maybe the builder can tell you what color the garage door is and you could go darker on that same color strip for the shutters. Then look for a complimentary color for the front door.

• Kathleen Kirchoff
    4 years ago

Embrace your uniqueness.

. With cream brick you can use any color. Yes Black is classic for the shutters and grey is trendy and neutral for the garage door but consider using your favorite hues instead.

When we bought our cream colored brick house all the wood was painted chocolate brown. Thankfully that was only a bit trim and the patio siding. I changed our shutter and door to a deep plum that echos the leaves of several plants in my beds. The siding is now a soft sage green. it is a novel color scheme but works with my plants even if different from the other houses on the block.

I would not worry about being just like the rest. You could add color with flowers first then maybe paint the front a bright shade.

Deb Slocombe thanked Kathleen Kirchoff
  • Anne Duke
    4 years ago

I’d be thrilled with not being the same. Add some annual color on a regular basis and it’ll be the neighborhood showstopper.

Deb Slocombe thanked Anne Duke
  • loobab
    4 years ago

Conformity is overrated.

Deb Slocombe thanked loobab
  • tatts
    4 years ago

Well, it needs a good pressure washing. The dirtyness looks to be crud accumulating in the mortar joints, possibly mold/moss since it's worse under the eaves where it's a bit more sheltered..

Deb Slocombe thanked tatts
  • Mid America Mom
    4 years ago

I like yours better than the others. BUT the garage seems off in color. I'd put in some reddish plants.

Deb Slocombe thanked Mid America Mom
  • User
    4 years ago

To fit more in neighborhood I would paint eaves a white to blend with brick, then change shutters to board batton wood like the sample home picture with a coordinating fiberglass or real wood garage door You don’t have the stone so bringing in the natural wood helps to blend with the neighbor:). There r a few neighborhoods in my area that r your styles they do the wood like I suggested or there r no shutters but the windows are black ( I think your windows r white monitor is on night mode) which is also a old farmhouse. style and they have a wood stain door

Deb Slocombe thanked User
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

In my opinion, your house looks to be the only "correct" house if the brick runs all around the home. Don't compare your home to those ugly ones.

If you want a "warmer" tone, then the white should be a creamier color. But I wonder if it's the bluish-grey throwing of the white? Or even the color of my monitor or the lighting in which the picture was taken?

Deb Slocombe thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Deb Slocombe
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The color of the brick seems to be a dingy grey white, so I think you are seeing it pretty clearly as it is. (And yes, it runs all the way around the house.) Thanks for the kind comments. I do think I would prefer a creamier white. For now it will need to remain the color it is. I think it will grow on me.

• msubreeze
    4 years ago

I like your house best...

Deb Slocombe thanked msubreeze
  • erinsean
    4 years ago

Love the color of your garage door. What about painting your shutters that same color. Your front door could be another color...yellow? Red?. I really like your house and when the plants are bigger it will look altogether different.

Deb Slocombe thanked erinsean
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    4 years ago

The other houses in the neighborhood are quite ugly.

• Flo Mac
    4 years ago

I have the feeling you want your house to have a more earthy look. I like the suggestion of the wood look shutters and the flowers boxes if you like. Also, you could match the shutters' stain with wood type garage doors then a front door with a beautiful color of its own or if you prefer, a stained door. I love the brick color but I think it could be enhanced by a change in the trim color close to the roof. If you don't like the wood look how about black shutters and black garage door with a wood stained front door or painted a wow color. I too like a house that stands out in a good way and I think your house does it in a good way.

Deb Slocombe thanked Flo Mac
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Paint the house ivory, use this trim and install wood shutters. You would be the envy of the neighborhood.

Deb Slocombe thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • emmarene9
    4 years ago

I like your house as it is.

Paint shutters the color of the garage if you like it. Or paint the shutters a color that you consider cheerful and match garage to the brick.

Replace the black light fixtures with a warm metal tone.

Wooden shutters or garage door would also add to warmth.

I think the white brick is calling for a vine somewhere, maybe over the garage.

Deb Slocombe thanked emmarene9