Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patti_z6a

Climbing Hydrangea bloom buds

Can someone please post a pic of what the bloom buds look like on a Climbing Hydrangea. Mine is already 5 years old and I keep hoping that it will bloom soon.

Comments (9)

• Patti (z6a ON Canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh ok, thanks for posting Gardengal. Now I know what to look for. Yes, I've been patient with it. I just hope it doesn't take another 5 years. Do you remember how long yours took to bloom?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

My first one took at least 3 years...and it was a big one to begin with. A 5G container with the vine itself maybe 5' tall. The one I have now was here when I moved in 3.5 years ago. It ls not huge - grows on a chain link fence - but it has bloomed each of the years I've lived here, but not very heavily. It's already finished for this season.

Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Patti (z6a ON Canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How much sun do yours get? Mine only get a couple hours in the morning, then a couple hours in the afternoon. It was about 2 feet high when I got it. I just hope it's getting enough sun to bloom.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

My big one (previous home) only got some morning sun and then lots of shade. It was growing up a 100'+ Doug fir. The one at my current garden is out in the open, although the property is surrounded woods, so I would say more sun than shade.

The largest one I've seen locally probably gets no direct sun but is also not in heavy shade...if that makes sense :-) And it blooms like crazy!!

Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Patti (z6a ON Canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well that's given me a lot of hope. Hopefully I just have another year or two to wait for the show.

• ophoenix
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My climbers are about 9 years old. Hiding an ugly cyclone fence and are blooming now. They get quite a bit of sun about 6-8 hours or more but are watered by my neighbors drip system! lol and our watering the plants under them. They are covering at least 20 feet of the fence and were trimmed recently because they were covering some of the plants under them. I think it took at least 4-5 years for them to start blooming and there are two in our forest that have not yet bloomed although they are 8 years old. They don't get as much sun but are crawling up a fur tree just fine.

Be patient! They will bloom when they are ready! I don't fertilize my garden, have lots of fir tree litter and occasionally add some dry leaves. But we do water.

Patti (z6a ON Canada) thanked ophoenix
  • Patti (z6a ON Canada)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So pretty!

• ophoenix
    4 years ago

Thanks!