Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjdevilbiss

Upper Kitchen Cabinet Layout Help

Breanna
4 years ago

Am starting to design a kitchen remodel and hoping to get some opinions on the upper cabinets. Do you think non-symmetrical cabinets (different sizes, which bothers me) would look alright on either side of the window as in the design photo? Or keep just the left one - maybe have a glass front to open it up a bit? I was leaning towards taking both out and having the wall be empty to really let the window light in. The other side of the kitchen will have two similar sized uppers on either side of a range hood so am not overly concerned with storage. Any thoughts/opinions? Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Jacqui Naud
    4 years ago

Consider keeping the cabinet on the left and have open shelves on the right.

Breanna thanked Jacqui Naud
  • herbflavor
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

to the right of window I would place an 18 or 21 in cab with hinges on right side of door[single door]..then a 12-15 inch open shelf cab, with finished interior on patio door side of this. You stand IN the corner to open two doors, as you have shown. To open ONE door you can stand away from the exact corner. It makes a difference...[easier] This uses 36 inches of that wall space, which appears to be 42 inches total. The open shelves from peninsula side can be a nice feature. Do you see any issues w the double doors on the left of window cab.....the center of cabinet, in terms of opening both doors, means the standing person is in line w dishwasher. Just thinking....perhaps its mostly an issue of what is stored. But open shelves where one stands off to the far side and simply reaches for mug or bowl or plate without the added element of opening two doors, dealing with the swing,etc...could be better. If you positioned a single bowl sink on left side of window, and dishwasher to right of sink...you could have a different situation , maybe better. Looks like you are doing dbl bowl sink and opting for centering it.....but many people migrate away from this as a necessity

Breanna thanked herbflavor
  • zmith
    4 years ago

Reduce the right cabinet. You won't be able to reach the right side of it as shown.

Breanna thanked zmith
  • gm_tx
    4 years ago

I actually think it looks fine as shown in that rendering. Yes, they're different sizes, but it does feel balanced to me.

However, if storage is not an issue, it would also look fine to remove the one on the right or have open shelves there.

Breanna thanked gm_tx
  • Karenseb
    4 years ago

My designer put a glassed front diagonal cabinet on the end. I thought it was a nice way to end the cabs there.

Breanna thanked Karenseb
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

I would just make the right one narrower.. If you really like symmetry then all your other options won't work: glass doors on one side and not the other, closed doors on one side and open shelves on the other, a cabinet on one side and floating shelves on the other. None of those are symmetrical.

Give some more space on each side of the window and make both cabinets the same size..that would look nice.

Breanna thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Breanna
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all! Exactly what I was hoping for. I'm going to reassess the size on the right to see what it looks like to get it to match. Thanks!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No cabinets on that wall and please no open shelving and they will never balance each other .

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would have them the same size with glass doors. The one on the left is an obvious place to store dishes and/or glasses given the location of the dishwasher.

• salex
    4 years ago

I've seen cpartist say this several times recently: Symmetry is overrated.

That said, if the different cabinet widths really bugs you, make the right one narrower.

Everyone has their pet peeve about symmetry or balance. Mine is a preference for uppers that line up with lowers. So the mockup you showed doesn't bug me because of the different widths, but because of the lack of alignment top & bottom. (Please DO NOT let this make you start second guessing your cabinets because of my personal hangup. My point is that the only thing that matters is that you know what you like and what you don't, so if the asymmetry bugs you, change it.)

• jbtanyderi
    4 years ago

There’s too much unneeded moulding on the upper cabinets. It’s out of keeping with the clean lines of the lower cabinets.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I also would look into more drawers for the lower cabinets.