Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan00000

Swap location of toilet and shower in master bath?

dan00000
4 years ago

Hi everyone -- first-time homeowner recently moved in and already renovating the master bath. The curb on our existing shower is leaking so we're going to take this opportunity to update the whole bathroom... But we need help figuring out the layout! Here's the current layout:

The main issue is that when you reach in to turn on the shower, you get wet, so we're trying to fix that. For the new bathroom, we are going to go with a curbless shower with a frameless glass surround. We like the current vanity with double sinks and we don't ever take baths so a tub is not needed.

Option 1 is to move the shower head to the wall with the window (which my contractor says is quite doable).

Option 2 is to swap the shower and toilet location. More plumbing work, but we would get a bigger shower. I've never had a shower this big, so I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not?

Do you prefer Option 1 or Option 2 (or something else)? Thanks in advance!

Dan

Comments (14)

• AJCN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I like showers on the bigger side, but if you move it wouldn't the toilet be in direct line-of-sight from the door? That's not ideal. I'm not sure I understand the scope of your project. Are you remodeling the whole bathroom - all fixtures, vanity, floor, lighting, etc? Or just wanting to deal with the toilet and shower?

dan00000 thanked AJCN
  • Oliviag
    4 years ago

moving/swappint shower and toilet is usually a mich higher $$$ item.
    Unless you have discovered a true reason for the swap, fix the curb, put the showerhead where you want it, and be happy in your new home.

dan00000 thanked Oliviag
  • eaw 513
    4 years ago

I agree with AJCN, you don’t really want the toilet to be the first thing that you see. Save your $$$ to put toward another project and enjoy!

dan00000 thanked eaw 513
  • teddytoo
    4 years ago

Do you live in a state that gets winter? If so I wouldn’t put my plumbing on an exterior wall. No frozen pipes for me. I would opt for the larger shower!

dan00000 thanked teddytoo
  • Karenseb
    4 years ago

I like the last option if you can move the toilet, but I would make the shower 60 by 36 and use sliding doors. Should be no problem getting to controls on right wall.

If you can’t move the toilet, you could keep the shower where it is and build a wall between the toilet and shower and put the controls for the shower there.

that might make the showering area too small unless you can steal a few inches from the toilet space for the wall with the shower head.

dan00000 thanked Karenseb
  • millworkman
    4 years ago

What kind of foundation or slab is the house on? Moving plumbing can be VERY expensive.

dan00000 thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Hate both plans. Depends size shower you really want, versus double sinks. You COULD have a larger shower. linen tower, and take this same concept with a single bowl 60" vanity as your view into the bath. Thus, depends. : ) But If you're going to move a toilet , get it in the best locale.

What is behind the dresser, as that would certainly improve the options.

dan00000 thanked JAN MOYER
  • writersblock (9b/10a)
    4 years ago

https://www.thespruce.com/switch-toilet-and-sink-when-remodeling-1821372

That's about swapping toilet and sink, but it gives an idea of some of the issues with moving a toilet.

dan00000 thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • seregiel
    4 years ago

If I were moving pluming, I’d combine jans plan with option two - put the toilet next to the double vanity, move the shower down and either install a bench in the back to continue off the vanity area or make it a double shower. That said, if the choice is just about option one or two and only switching their plumbing - id go with one and save the plumbing costs. If I had to have the toilet be the first thing I saw opening the door I’d lean into it and do a giant fancy tile set behind it or something. Just seems like there is something better being missed.

dan00000 thanked seregiel
  • felizlady
    4 years ago

The master bathroom doesn’t need a tub if you don’t use one. I replaced a shower-tub combo with a nice corner shower, too. Love it.
    Anything is “doable” but moving the below-floor plumbing isn’t cheap, especially if the house is on a slab.
    If you have good crawlspace it’s much easier and less expensive. I never use the word “cheap” when referring to plumbing fixtures or plumbing rearranging. Regarding your shower, move the controls to where you can reach them from outside the shower door, even if you need to frame up a new section of wall to do it. The shower head should face away from the shower door. I prefer a standard wall-mounted showerhead plus an adjacent adjustable-height hand-held wand on a vertical bar. The wand is great for rinsing out the shower.

dan00000 thanked felizlady
  • GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

You’re turning a 30K project into a 40K project. And that is if you have modest tastes.

dan00000 thanked GreenDesigns
  • dan00000
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so much! This is extremely helpful -- I had no idea moving a toilet was such a pain. I'm going to go ahead with option 1.

AJCN (and others) -- The current toilet is right in line of sight -- not ideal, but I can live with that.

Jan -- I really like your design, but I'm going to try to save some $$ on this one and not move the toilet.

teddytoo -- I'm in California, so no frozen pipes -- both of these walls are actually external anyway.

Thanks again everyone!

• seregiel
    4 years ago

I just realized if you shortened the vanity 4” you could have a true water closet and enclose the toilet if you wanted to separate it from the room. You want to keep the vanity, but it was an errant thought.