Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mohanaray

Plan B urgently needed for entryway/bathroom

Mimi
4 years ago

I’m at my wits end coming up with a cohesive plan for the first floor of our townhouse! It has a bedroom, bathroom and entryway. We just had engineered wood installed in the bedroom (because there was no subfloor). I have ruled out wood look tile and vinyl plank flooring because I couldn’t find a close enough match to the bedroom floors. So now I am considering tile, but I would like to have the same/similar tile in both the entryway and the bathroom because it is a small poorly lit space- see first picture. Entryway is 36 inches wide and bathroom is 60x90 inches on the far right of the picture. FYI the stairs now have walnut wood treads and white risers and the walls will be painted white.

I want a look similar to the second picture for the bathroom- veiny marble tile on shower surround, but white penny or small hex tile on the shower floor. Should I extend that to the rest of the bathroom floor and entryway? Should I just put the same marble tile thats on the shower walls? I got a few samples of marble tile and tried it on the floor but it might be marble overkill (pictures 3 and 4). Please give me some advice! I need to go buy the tile tomorrow and still have not made up my mind!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The last tile is nice. doesn't seem too overpowering. You can't do the same engineered hardwood in this hallway as you did in the bedroom? the tile you've chosen says "bathroom' to me.

• petula67
    4 years ago

I think you could have some fun with black & white penny or larger hex tile in mosaic patterns for the foyer and bath.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am hesitant to do engineered hardwood in the entryway since I live in the midwest and have read that it warps/buckles easily when exposed to moisture.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

then can you pick a solid color porcelain tile that you can use for the bathroom floor as well as the hallway? save the marble look tile for the shower, do the pennies on the shower floor, and do the larger, solid tile for the rest of the bathroom floor/hallway.

If you picked a dark charcoal color, you could inset the pennies in a 'rug' in front of the sink area.

here's a 30x30 porcelain:

or you could do a basalt tile

you could do these in the hallway, and just do your pennies on the bathroom floor w/the other tile on the shower wall.

another option is this wood-look parquet type of porcelain tile. these look great once they're down

Refin:

or, this type of porcelain flooring for the hallway (looks nice next to your stairway) and run it into the bathroom. do the pennies on the shower floor and a nice white, large subway tile on the shower walls. (or your marble look tile)

https://www.flooranddecor.com/shower-tile/victorian-oro-polished-porcelain-mosaic-100501345.html?rrec=true

https://www.flooranddecor.com/waterjet-decoratives

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

I think the marble looking tile is better suited for the bathroom only. Is that a photo of the shower in the bathroom? I like Beths last photo of the parquet looking tile and think it would be stunning and then you can take one of these and just use them in a staggered pattern in the bathroom since it isnt large enough in there to pull that pattern off. Instead of trying to match the wood in the bedroom go opposite and choose a light wood looking like the parquet or just do a solid gray in a 12 x 24" and lay it staggered.

New Home · More Info

• acm
    4 years ago

There are lots of nice gray tiles in large formats available under the descriptor "cement-look". I think that would be the nicest match to your marble (bringing out the veining) and much more durable and appropriate for the hallway.

Red Brick Rehab outtakes · More Info

I used this tile in a recent rehab, in both bathroom (with marble accents) and kitchen (with granite counters). Durable, but with a soft look. Something from Home Depot, as I recall.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like the cement tile and also the light grey wood look tile! It may end up looking a but cold though?Not sure about patterns or dark floors would work since the bathroom is small and gets zero natural light. Also, that is definitely not a picture of my bathroom, more an aspirational picture. My bathroom iscurrently demoed and looks like this...i am getting the lighting upgraded before anyone suggests that. Thanks everyone!

• acm
    4 years ago

Light colors are good in a small space. Plenty of bathrooms get no natural light -- that's what fixtures are for! Same with the hallway!

Let me assure you that you don't want the upkeep of white marble in a frequently used entry!

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, back with an update! I decided on the less veiny marble tile (the last one in the pictures), and went looking for greyish tile. Here are the three I liked the most- leaning towards the taupy grey on the top, because the other ones look dirty to me? Also it might work best with my walnut and white stairs and the wood mirror/shelving I want to install in the bathroom.

I also looked at some ashy wood look tile and actually really like how it looks with the marble tile. But since the bedroom and stairs on the same floor are walnut stained red oak, it might look fake? Anyway thats the second/third picture- would love to get some opinions! Thanks!!

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Beth, can I ask where the cement grey tile is from? I also really like the black herringbone tile, but I am told black is quite unforgiving in our climate (midwest).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

what do you mean, 'unforgiving'? It's the midwest, not Mars Mimi! lol.

Slate is a great flooring. It doesn't get cold in the winter, stays at room temp, and is easy to care for once you seal it. Brazilian Black is a slate. It would feel cool during the summer.

you can also get the same look in a porcelain, or even Basalt, (which is cooled lava).

And what cement gray? I posted 3 tiles and listed them from Tilebar. I said you could get 5 samples for $5 and mentioned for you to take a look over there.

Here, I'll give you a head start! (they even have an option where you can upload your picture and view the tile on your floor!)

https://tilebar.com/basic-cement-silver-24x24-matte-porcelain-tile.html

https://tilebar.com/basic-cement-grigio-24x24-matte-porcelain-tile.html

this one is cool too

https://tilebar.com/medoacus-grigio-24x24-polished-porcelain-tile.html

here's one in black

https://tilebar.com/medoacus-nero-24x24-matte-porcelain-tile.html

16x32 (this has darker brown sections that might look nice next to your wood floors)

https://tilebar.com/revel-dark-gray-16x32.html

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Midwest where? My heavens. Unless the Mississippi is coming in, I'd use wood. I don't like penny tile with marble. A nice deep charcoal if you must have tile in the hall. Keep it simple. You chose the star in the marble on shower walls.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan- the issue is that we do not have a subfloor on the first floor, so we would have to put in engineered hardwood. From what I have read, engineered hardwood is more prone to water damage. We live in Chicago so not concerned about the Mississippi, mostly snow/salt etc.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

then put in a slate or tile floor where you come in from outside. I can't imagine you'd want to track in snow and salt across any of your flooring. have a landing spot to take off shoes or boots.

engineered wood flooring is much more stable than a solid hardwood.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Nobody uses area rugs? Boot trays? At the entry? Helloooooooo? I'd use the engineered.There is just as much snow/ salt in upstate NY

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

jan,,,boot trays?? we have flip-flop trays out here. what the heck are boots? and salt and snow? lol