Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quickstepback

Farmhouse plans?

quickstepback
4 years ago

Hello,

We will start building our house on 20 acres in the plains in a few months, and I’m having trouble finding plans that I like. I’m looking for something that has a farmhouse look, to fit in with the surroundings, and has the feel of an old farmhouse with a few modern features.

The basics of what would like are:

-1600-2200 square feet

-3-4 bedrooms or 3+ an office

-1 or 2 story is fine, though if a 2 story, laundry must be on the first floor

-a master bathroom with separate tub and shower

-a large laundry room and/or mud room near the entrance to the house

-a sizable pantry in the kitchen or something that can function as one

-detached garage

The trickier parts are these:

-lots of windows, basically a window at every opportunity or at least on every exterior wall in every room

-a layout with the kitchen in the front of the house and the living room in the back, dining area can be wherever

-10’ ceilings on first floor

-ability to open windows in rooms and have a cross breeze to cool

-a porch in the front that is big enough to have some chairs on

- a large/huge porch in the back

-the house has excellent views in all directions, and we’d especially like to highlight the view to the back, to the SW

-we don’t like a million different rooflines going a ton of different directions, and we don’t like houses that look like they were designed from the inside out. Simple and functional is fine with us

Does anyone know of any great resources for a house like this?

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Well...when you say farmhouse, you've opened Pandora's Box around here.

Your requirements, listed above, are very reasonable and achievable in a simple, direct architectural solution.

Since farmhouses differ based on geographical location and climate, please tell us the location of your property.

Here's a real Texas farmhouse from the mid-1800s. You may desire something a tad more modern...

Good luck on your project.

• quickstepback
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, something more modern would be desirable!

We’re in eastern Nebraska. Lots of wind, sun, cold, and snow.

• BT
    4 years ago

You can google for a farmhouse plan. I suspect you will find most of the available plans unacceptable. Here is one of my suggestions, could be restyled in the "farmhouse" style.

https://www.maxhouseplans.com/home-plans/lake-house-plans/appalachian-mountain-iii/

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Does anyone know of any great resources for a house like this?

Yes an architect to give you exactly what you want and need.

If you don't know of any in your area might I suggest working remotely with architectrunnerguy who is here on these forums?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Have you considered engaging the services of a local architect?

• doc5md
    4 years ago

In addition to contacting local architects, I’d drive around the area and snap some pictures of actual farmhouses in the region that you really like. That could help your architect understand your vision of a farmhouse

• quickstepback
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That could work. We do know what we want. Architects sound expensive though. Should I especially them to cost $2000? $10000? $20000? Obviously I know it would vary, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Can you tell I’m a newbie?

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In my area, I received quotes for fees that ranged from $2.50/covered sq ft (design only, no construction supervision), to 3%-5% of the budget (conception to delivery), to 12% of budget (conception to delivery). Hourly rates were $100-$110, when given (the 3%-5% guy didn't do hourly; "it's a waste of money" he said).

I had $20,000 budgeted for complete architectural services (total house budget of $500k in central Texas, excluding land), so I need to add $5k more to reach the 5% of my favorite candidate. He may very well charge me only 3%, but I want to have 5%, just in case. My project is fairly involved (multiple structures).

• cpartist
    4 years ago

You're spending 6 figures of your hard earned money. what would you consider expensive to get exactly what you want?

• sumac
    4 years ago

in my area it's 12-14% of total cost of construction and the hourly rates are around $165

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

CPA's comment about getting what you want is a good one.

Here's another thought about tha "expense" of an architect: everyone who builds pays something for the design of their home, whether or not they realize it.

In the case of builder's houses, the cost is built into the construction cost and seldom called out. In the case of plan factories, the cost is clear, but what is not understold by many is that there are additional costs for foundation design, site preparation, electrical, and lighting, kitchen and bath fittings, and any desired plan modifications.

working with a talented and experienced architect may save on some or all these expenses as well as having the potential to save on allowances and construction changes by a builder.

Good luck on your project.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

working with a talented and experienced architect may save on some or all these expenses as well as having the potential to save on allowances and construction changes by a builder.

I wanted to highlight this.

I know y'all already have your land, QSB, but I don't, and my architect has already saved me serious pain, heartache, stress, and money, and I haven't even hired him yet.

During the interview, we discussed land, and he specifically commented, "Don't buy in <local town that my family was strongly considering>." He went on to describe a client of his who bought a piece of land there, and the clay was so bad, the holes for the piers were drilled to 23' and they STILL didn't hit rock. :-O Too much of their budget was blown before the foundation was even constructed, and they had to delay their project.

I listed other areas we were looking at, and he proceeded to tell me what the typical soil conditions were like for each one, saying that he could get us soil maps, too, and help us evaluate the land prior to purchase.

This is just one example of where an architect's insight can save you. I'm sure there are dozens more.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

Your wishlist is not very difficult, though the front facing kitchen (one of my favorite things too) can be hard to find. The windows and ceiling height don't matter too much as you can get that revised in any plan. I have found Don Gardner has a lot of plans with front kitchens so you might start at his website.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

You don’t mention (or I missed it) the total square footage you are aiming for.

Your wishlist sounds like my house, except for the ceiling height (mine is 9’) and the pantry. Although my kitchen has enough storage so I’ve never missed it. Our house is on 12 acres rear faces south.

We bought a William Poole plan and had him modify it for a fee. We originally had an architect draw plans that we had to scrap. So that money was lost. We ended up with plans from a magazine of plans as we had to get started to avoid some issues with the county. Long, frustrating story but it worked out. We have loved our Dutch Colonial for 22 years and the plan has held up to the test.

However, our wishlist was only 3 things, master on main, 4 total bedrooms, and 2 sets of stairs so it was pretty easy to find a house. With your list an architect is probably the best way to fulfill it.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Annette that first house is 3+ rooms deep and will have a huge roof.

The second one seems to have forgotten that people also want access and views to their backyard.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

When it comes to "farmhouses", it really pays to go out, tour and photograph farmhouses in one's region, since farmhouses vary so much by region, building tradition and climate.

A farmhouse in Nebraska, for example, may be nothing like one in New England, the deep South or the Southwest.

The problem with plan factories, and their plans, is that they don't take this into consideration and simply offer generic houses which may, or may not, be appropriate for a given region.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

Cp. part of that post disappeared. It said that even only picking 3 of their wants these were all that came up. I picked detached garage, 4 bedrooms and covered porch. Those were the only 2 with a kitchen at the front.

• alley2007
    4 years ago

If you don't know of any in your area might I suggest working remotely with architectrunnerguy who is here on these forums?

I second this suggestion. Below is a link to architectrunnerguy's ideabook where he posts design concepts for remote clients along with a link to the gardenweb discussion.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/81674558/list/remotely-designed-houses

There are also several discussions on gardenweb about planning to build a house and working with an architect in general.

Best of luck with your project!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

AKA - The Cloud Museum

• User
    4 years ago

"farmhouse" is not an architectural style; its a building use type. A simple definition is any house with a barn. Of course, realtors and internet plan mills will use any word that might attract a customer so modifying this term with "modern" helps to sell houses and plans.

Ignoring the marketing nonsense, it would help you to look at what few historic farmhouse are still standing. East of the Mississippi the dominant farmhouse architectural style was Greek Revival and "vernacular" (meaning characterized by the use of local materials and knowledge, usually without the supervision of professional architects) so many were a simplified version of the Greek Revival style but all 19th century styles were possible.

Keep in mind its the nature of farm buildings to be extended over time often for the purpose of providing covered passage from the main house to the barn.

These are some in southern Maine and New Hampshire:

• quickstepback
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i think we will likely end up working with a local or remote architect to modify a plan. Although this will be a long term house for us, the budget is very important, and I’d like to stay at or under $250,000 for the house build, so we don’t have a ton of wiggle room.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Modifying a plan is not what an architect does and is in fact illegal since all designs are copyrighted.

• quickstepback
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I do really like the simplyelegant plan posted by lyfia, and the rest on that site. They seem to have the flow, proportionate room sizes, larger mudroom, and window situation that I’m looking for.

• quickstepback
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Then maybe we’d modify them with the original architect?

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Yes you do need to go through with the original architect. Problem is after you do that, you'll pay more to have them drawn up to meet your local codes. So in the long run you may be paying just as much as if you went with an architect depending on where you are and who you used.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Another thought. Do you want a house that you have to adapt your needs to, or a house where the house adapts to your needs?

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following

• User
    4 years ago

When you buy a set of house drawings, you are normally granted a license from the copyright holder to use the drawings to build one house. There usually isn't an architect's stamp on the drawings so I don't see why there would be restrictions on making modifications if you are only building one house.

I suspect it would be virtually impossible to use a set of these drawings without making changes. If there are "engineered" or steel beams involved you might be required to hire an engineer.

IMO its wise to buy the digital files so they can be easily modified but make sure you know someone who can edit them for you. Changes made by the plan company are often done by freelance outside drafters so don't expect a high level of skill or low prices.

• K H
    4 years ago

From Nebraska, now living in Northwest Missouri. Wishing you the best! Southern living has some beautiful farmhouses that would be practical for NE.

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL1718

This looks like it has most of your wants. Simpler roof, farmhouse look, lots of windows, kitchen is pretty close to the house front. Might eliminate the master fireplace to get an additional window in bedroom two. Could also remove screened porch to simplify the roof. Good luck

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I agree with others here that you'll get a house that fits your needs best with an architect. If you're only planning to live there a few years, sure, go with a stock plan. If this is your planned home for the indefinite future, why not have a plan designed to your unique needs?

That said, if you're set on a stock plan, you might check out Allison Ramsey's plans. Many have a farmhouse look, and may fit your needs.

https://www.allisonramseyarchitect.com/index.cfm

You could also look at these from Alan Masacord. Neither is a perfect plan or a perfect fit for your needs, but I find them to be among the better stock plans, they could perhaps be altered by Masacord to fit your needs better.

https://houseplans.co/house-plans/21151a/

https://houseplans.co/house-plans/1258/

• K H
    4 years ago

I also love this one. http://houseplans.southernliving.com/plans/SL1832

Detached garage, simple cross gable roof.

Not sure where you are building in eastern NE but if you are close to the Missouri River you may want something like this! Hope you find something you like!

• K H
    4 years ago

Last one I promise. This is a more modern farmhouse but it has 10' ceilings and front kitchen.

Plan 51793HZ

4-Bed Southern French Country House Plan with 2-Car Garage

• K H
    4 years ago

Can’t help myself! This one is a brand new plan. Smaller square footage. I saw your budget is around 250,000. Midwest rural prices for middle of the road finished is $130-$150/ sq foot. We are building right now and our house has a simple gable roof and will be around 2300 finished our bid was 294,000. But we wanted a full basement because of severe weather. This cost us $40,000.

https://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/farmington-7438/

• cpartist
    4 years ago

KH most of those plans will have dark interiors. They are more than 1-2 rooms deep. Especially the last two you posted

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Quick, start talking to a couple local architects. (That is suppose to be a small play on words if anyone caught it). Worse case you will learn what it is like to work with an architect and what their fee structure is, best case you will find a gem.

• shead
    4 years ago

$250K will likely not get you the minimum 1600 sf you desire. If you haven't already, talk to some local builders (plural) to get an idea of price per square footage in your area. My estimate to add on 1100 sf to our existing house was more than your total budget altogether and I'm in a rural area.

• K H
    4 years ago

Cpartist you are right I didn’t even look at that! Op you don’t want a dark house!