Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Friday's Flowers

nat4b
4 years ago

Took pics in this excessive heat today, hottest day of the year, 100 degrees right now yikes. What was funny that after a very warm night some of them opened worse than on a regular day.

None of my sick daylilies show any sign of improvement, but once in a while there are good flowers.

Question - how do you remember stuff about your daylilies? Good memory or write it down in your database / notepad about each?

Chris Salter

Cat Dancer

Nan's First Blush - LFO. It didn't have a lot of flowers, maybe 10 at the most, and this is the best ))

Christopher Moody - one bud left

This one is good this year - My Yoke Is Easy

My tall noid

Forty Days and Forty Nights - paler this year, not a lot of buds but as tall as usual

Strutter's Ball growing in a lot of shade, some others near it don't open, it does

Mama's Cherry Pie - I like when it looks like this, thicker white borders

I think uploading is not working anymore, will try these and some more in the comments

Comments (11)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

I like all of these full figured ones. Some really pretty lavenders. With the ruffles Katrina's Heros in particular catches my eye. Are you talking about spring sickness? My Yoke is Easy is another outstanding beauty....For 100 degrees you are doing quite well. It hit 100 degrees the other day here, while the rest of the days this week have hovered between 96-99. Not unusual for us though. It's just hot.........Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Very nice! Cat Dancer & My Yoke Is Easy are my favorites of these, but it was a hard choice!

To remember stuff about my daylilies, I have a chart with small pictures of each reflecting where they are planted, with just a couple of stats, such as size, height, season. I use a program like microsoft publishers for that. I use this the most.

In Word, I have a list, in order by beds, with a complete description of each daylily, such a color, form, etc. I don't put in hybridizer but others like that info. Then I also have a quick list of daylilies listed in general color categories, and a quick list by flower size, largest to smallest.

Brad

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Nat, looks to me like the our blooming is matching. Love your Sea Dragon, Mine is just starting, rain ruined my second bloom yesterday. Your Cat Dancer looks good, I think mine is taking this season off. I like Neal Berry and Lavender Heartthrob, my LH has done well too. I like Nanas First Blush, a nice yellowish one.

Sherry

• shive
    4 years ago

I always like your Christopher Moody. Sea Dragon look great, and so do Katrina Heroes and Nan's First Blush. I hope your daylilies overcome their "sickness." A hundred degree is unheard of in your part of the country, isn't it?

Debra

• mantis__oh
    4 years ago

Your foliage looks all right in the pictures. Are some of these in a lot of shade? Don't know what is their sickness. Perhaps you had too much rain. With sun and drying out, they should improve. Christopher Moody actually performed better here than Thomas Tew. First few flowers had some opening problems, but the rest looked as nice as yours. Looks to me as though some of these need dividing also--is that part of the sickness? I have a few clumps this year that didn't perform well because they need dividing.

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Several pretties here. I like Christopher Moody and Lavender Hearthrob is also pretty. Sea Dragon stands out. i hope your lilies shape up soon.

• mantis__oh
    4 years ago

I keep a diagram of newly planted cultivars. For older cultivars, it can be a pain. As they bloom, I try to write down names and tag a lot of them that are to be divided, deleted, etc. Sometimes I will spend 15 minutes trying to figure out a name. Yes, it is a challenge. Especially when you're dead tired.

• Julia WV (6b)
    4 years ago

These are very lovely especially Lavender Hearthrob and Sea Dragon. What sickness did your daylilies have?

I have a software program called PlantStep where I log in all the plants and has several sections(tabs) and one is called notes/awards. Many people use excel spreadsheets to track their daylilies.

Hope your temps cool down.

Julia

• dick_in_ohio
    4 years ago

1. Check the size of your pictures. I can't think of any other reason to have posting problems. I cut my pictures down to about 800 x 600 and I don't have problems posting ever.

2. What kind of health problems are you having with your daylilies? I didn't see your previous post(s) on that.

• nat4b
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks a lot, everyone! It cooled down to a very comfortable temperature here so I worked in the yard a bit.

Thanks Maryl! I didn't realize I have so many lavenders ))

Thanks Brad! I have a general database with the info from AHS, I meant observations like poor opening, splotchiness, etc. I will need to add a column for every year, if I want to record that and that will become kind of a hassle..

Thanks Sherry! I like all of those a lot too.

Thanks Debra! Actually July can be pretty hot, it's the high humidity that makes it unbearable.

Thanks Mantis! That's the thing, foliage looks good, but the buds don't. Oh yeah, lots need dividing, for sure. I did a few last year, all but one back to being huge again, and the one where I left like 5 fans wasn't any better performance wise this year. Some are in a lot of shade but sick ones are both in shade and in more sunny beds.

Thanks Kate!

Thanks Julia! I have an excel database too, maybe I should start a new sheet where I will only write about their performance near names.

Thanks Dick! My pics are not big, I think it was Houzz problem.

Re daylily problems - they get those brown scabs on buds and scapes, and the buds dry out and fall off and those that remain the flowers either can't open, or open deformed.