Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skell311

trex installation bummer

skell311
4 years ago

Trex installed on our new front porch and I am shocked by not only the spacing between boards (1/4"...wide enough to get a high heel caught in) but the visable screws. Tempted to ask the contractor take it off and reinstall tighter (voiding warranty). Anyone have input? We have a beautiful new home entrance and this does not look good to me at all. Talk me off the ledge please!

Comments (22)

• worthy
    4 years ago

As per p. 31 of Trex installation instructions, the minimum required side-to-side gapping is 1/4". Never more than 1/2".

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hear you but it looks awful to me.

• worthy
    4 years ago

Trex Hideway Clips

would have eliminated the visible screw heads, but the gaps are required.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

very helpful Worthy. Didn't know these were an option. I will talk to my contractor about this..

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

This looks correct to me. They used hidden fasteners. We have Fiberon with hidden fasteners and it looks similar. You do not want the deck boards tight together. Look at images on the internet. I don’t see anything wrong with how yours looks.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The way this is installed, I see all the screws between the boards. Nothing is hidden here

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

What fasteners were used? You will still have gaps between the boards even with different fasteners.

• User
    4 years ago

It’s a deck, not tongue and groove porch flooring. ANY decking material will have gaps. It’s REQUIRED on all decks.

If you wanted no gaps, you should have designed it for tongue and groove porch flooring. That’s a different design to go with the different material. If that’s the look you want, start over with the design. All at your expense, of course.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, that is the way it looks when installed correctly.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think the issue is this front floor was treated like a deck instead of a front porch. I am sure it is installed correctly but had I been informed of the options I would have never chosen this. oh well. I will have to move on...

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Why is there no proper flashing on your roofing details? I can see OSB in the gap between the shingles and sidewall/housewrap. That’s a much bigger issue than decking instead of flooring.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What is OSB ?

• kudzu9
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

All of the composite deck materials will expand and contract with changes in temperature so proper gapping of decking is important.

I think deck material was probably the wrong choice for this particular application; T&G porch flooring would have been more appropriate as Green Designs suggested.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You are probably right. Just a little late in the game to learn about these porch floor options. Equal blame on us, the contractor and the architect. We were only asked to pick a color and not given a choice of deck styles. Oh well!

• kudzu9
    4 years ago

Well, since it's a small front porch, I presume you'll not be spending much time out there anyway.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    4 years ago

HI, skell311,

It's very gracious of you to shoulder some of the blame, but when you are paying professionals to design a custom home for you (I'm making that assumption here), they should educate you about the various materials available and the pros and cons of each. Selection of exterior materials should be made in the design phase and specified in the approved construction plans.

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kudzo this is the only way into the house (except for sliders in the back) so will be on this everyday.

• User
    4 years ago

Do you have any pictures of the roofing in progress?

• skell311
    Original Author
    4 years ago

roof in progress

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

looks like copper flashing.