Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherggpie

Exterior color help - red roof

Heather
4 years ago

Color experts please help!
I need advice on window and door frame colors as well as the exterior wall color.
As you can see, we have a red clay tile roof which ties us down with wall color options.
We currently have wooden window frames and a wooden sliding door onto the patio.
To increase our garden size and update the house we intend to:
-Remove the concrete/brick patio and replace with a smaller wooden deck/stairs (a grey colored decking wood)
-Remove roof over patio to allow light into living room
-Replace window and door frames with aluminium. Stacking doors will be used instead of sliding doors and more windows added for light and warmth.
Our architect has suggested charcoal colored window/door frames. I’m not sure if this will work with the red roof and if so, what wall color would be best to tie them all together?

Comments (13)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I’m no expert but when I‘ve seen red tile roofs, they’re usually paired with white, cream, light yellow/tan walls.

I don’t know about replacing that brick with gray decking, it doesn’t sound like a good swap to me.

The roof over the patio can be changed to an arbor, is it an arbor already? Is it there because it gets hot and some shade is needed to enjoy the patio?

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I would add a skylight to the living room, if possible, and leave that patio. It looks like a wonderful place to be on a hot sunny day. It also adds a lot to your curb appeal. I would also leave the brick, and would lighten that yellow paint on the stucco to a cream color. I am also not fond of those cement squares with grass coming up between them, and would like to see a sidewalk from the front patio over to the door. Its a very cute house, and doesnt really need a whole lot to make it beautiful.

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hahaha! Now you are both raising debates that my husband and I have had over and over. Unfortunately the patio has to go, as there are structural problems causing issues inside the house.
    There will still be a patio of sorts, but it will be smaller. Our thinking is that we want to bring the garden more into the house, hence bigger windows and removing that huge slab that is to the left of the outside table. We will have a lovely big table inside the house, right next to the stacking doors. Instead of having 2 tables, we simplify life and have 1 which serves both internal and external seating (with stacking doors open during good weather).
    Perhaps we should put more thought into how large the new patio will be and the removal of that roof.

The door and entrance on the far right is actually being demolished. Its placement does not work with the internal flow of the house. The actual front door is in the first picture, at the back corner of the uncovered section of the patio. We do plan do connect it to the sidewalk with paving, so there will be a straight path from that door to the street.

Thank you for the input. It’s good to hear an outsider’s perspective on seeing the house for the first time.

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any thoughts on the color of the frames though? Would charcoal work? I don’t find any images online of red roofed houses with such dark window frames. It seems white is generally preferred. The architect has suggested charcoal and seems against using white. I’m scared that we make a long term choice based on the current short term popularity of darker frames.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Are these pictures of the front of your house? I’m confused. Such a cute house!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

If I had to make such a decision, I’d go old school and paint some paper that charcoal color and tape it up against the window frames to see how it would look.

Can you clarify what a “stacking door” is? Is it a sliding door or an accordion door?

• cat_ky
    4 years ago

I think charcoal will look nice on the trim, but, its you who has to like it. Take Annas advise and put some poster paper cut to size and painted charcoal and tape it all the way around one window, and then make your decision. My advise is, pick your charcoal very carefully. I once painted a house charcoal. It was a beautiful color on the sample, and looked good when I put it on one corner of the house. Well, I bought it and spent days painting a 78 foot ranch house and when I was all done, I hated it. It looked very blue. Not only to me. Neighbors started giving directions to their house, by saying they were across the street from the very long blue house. I never changed it. We sold it. New owners loved it, they kept it. Then it was sold again due to a job transfer, and now it is painted white. Looks terrible. Not the type of house to be painted white. Everyone mentions how bad it looks.

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes CindyR, this is the front of the house.
    There is another wing to the left of the first picture which is not shown here. What you see in the first picture is the middle section of the house. The parking area is to the left of the photographer in the first picture.
    We have literally never used the door shown on the right hand side of the second picture as its positioning is impractical.

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Anna - stacking door = accordion door.
    Thanks for the advice on the colour. I’ll give it a try and will do the same with whatever wall color we consider.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Heather:

Have you already looked into having your roof colored or stained? You could go more of a brown instead of the red.

I actually like the color of your house now because it looks on my phone like a mixture of your roof and the brick.

Before settling on a color, if you are so inclined, see if you can adjust the color of your roof?

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I originally wanted to change the roof colour, but our builder has advised against it. Apparently the high pressure cleaning that is done prior to painting often causes problems with old roofs like ours. I’ll get more advice on that.

• CindyR
    4 years ago

Love love the colors in Karis post above.