Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mohanaray

Laying marble look tile

Mimi
4 years ago

I am getting a veiny marble look porcelain tile (first picture) installed in the shower surround and floor of my guest bathroom. I am considering dry laying the tile for the installer to ensure that the veining looks right. What is the correct way to do this? Should the veins be running in the same direction to give the look of a single slab? Any other tricks on how to get a seamless effect?

Also considering extending the marble look tile to the wall behind the sink/toilet, either halfway up the wall or all the way to the ceiling. However the bathroom is very small so I am concerned that it will be too much? Also then the wall opposite the sink/toilet will be the only untiled surface, will that look odd?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    4 years ago

I don't see a problem doing tiles all the way around the bath. But, don't make yourself crazy trying to align the veining; a good installer will know how to mix the tiles for a varied layout. Is your selection a rectified tile? That will have minimal grout lines.

• Helen
    4 years ago

A good tile layer will lay out tiles in advance to make sure that there aren't clumps that don't look right.

My bathroom and shower floors are marble basket weave but the tile setter made sure to scatter different variations around so that the end result looks great. This would be true of any kind of marble tile (real or faux).

The same is true of wood flooring as my planks have some variation and so whoever laid my wood floors went through the boxes so that different shades are nicely distributed.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hope my tile guys does that too!

One more question- he is saying the 24 by 48 tile I want is too big because the bathroom is 60 by 90. I think the large format will make the small space look larger because of fewer grout lines. Perhaps he has no experience laying tile that big and so he is discouraging me.. thoughts?

• K R
    4 years ago

I think the tile is way too large for this bathroom. My master is pretty large, and we used 24x24 for the floors and 12x24 for the walls. Ditto what the others said the tile installer will know how to lay it, you cannot match all the veins.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

The big tiles are great in a small bathroom... match the grout to the white of the tile and you won't even notice them. Here is a heavily veined tile in a small bath... the customer loved it!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

There are tile setters who work with very large format tiles but they are few and far between and I agree that size tile is too big for your space . 12 x 24 would be a much better choice and also easier to get a tile setter. There would be in your space no good way to lay such large format tile.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I ended up going with the 12 by 24. My contractor seemed uncomfortable with the 24 by 48 tile and I decided to err on the side of caution. Feeling a bit meh about the result- the smaller tile has more veining and looks a bit busy to me. The original plan was to use the same marble for the bathroom floor (except for the shower base which is going to be 2 inch white hexagon tile). I am now considering using the same hex tile for the entire floor or perhaps a plain white 12 by 24. Any advice? Fyi I am getting a can light installed which will help as well.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops forgot the photo!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Use a hex tile in a plain color, gray, off white. Don't do more of that on the floor. Grout lines look too big. He might have tried kind of matching them up a bit. I wouldn't do anymore of that tile. Think of it as the "backsplash" with a lot of action. So the countertop needs to be "quiet". A nice dark gray hex tile would look great. What are you putting on the floor of the shower. I would do both the shower and floor same time for a more "spacious" look.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Flo, that’s what I am thinking as well. Using small 2 inch white hex tile on the shower floor, so either extend that to the entire bathroom floor or maybe a larger hex tile? The marble tile is quite overwhelming as is.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would keep scale of shower floor and room flooring the same. The less additional "motion" the better in your space. Sometimes you can mix patterns, but with that tile in the shower (and it looks really nice from what I can see btw) keeping everything else plain is the way to go. You can jazz things up with a pretty purple Orchid or some bright pink towels, things that can be switched out from time to time. The flooring is semi-permanent. (Nothing is permanent! lol) Good luck.

• Mimi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is what the small hex would look like on the floor...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

I would do larger size hex and not soo white. What is color of your vanity again?

• kas4
    4 years ago

It looks like your shower may not be waterproofed correctly. I believe the redguard should completely cover all surfaces. I'm sure some pros will chime in.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Be advised. Cement board is not waterproof. If Redgaurd is used it would need to cover the entire board at the proper mil thickness. If a liner was used under a mud base and continued over the curb as required you can NOT fasten cement board through the liner. In progress photos would help. I'm aware you are looking for design advice. Just trying to look out for your wallet.