Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flamingyue

Need help! Which floor plan is better? (House/Kitchen Remodeling)

flamingyue
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are trying to remodel our house, and our builder offered several options. Please help to see which one make more sense. Your advice is really appreciated!

Original floor plan: Every room is individual and the kitchen looks small and dark.

Remodel option 1: Turning dining room into kitchen, open the wall to living room.

Option 2: Keep kitchen as the same area, open office and dining room, and close living room access to dining room.

Option 3: Similar with option2, but have access between living area and original dining room, add storage space in the kitchen.

Comments (9)

• damiarain
    4 years ago

1. not sure if the first photo was supposed to be your current floor plan? (looks like it's a duplicate of option 1)

2. how many people live here? what are your hopes and dreams for this renovation? When I look at the options, I'd say #2 & #3 are squishy - basically squeezing in the public spaces in the back, while leaving the large living room untouched. Maybe you're a family that would benefit from that? Ours would not - so for me #1 is best... (though the dining room is awkward... not sure about those two arm chairs.. would you want to have back yard access through the 'left' wall like in #2 and #3?)

flamingyue thanked damiarain
  • jslazart
    4 years ago

I also would do #1, but I have no need for duplicate rooms (which is how I see living/family and dining/breakfast spaces). And I have to have an office, personally. For the dining room, you could put in a bigger table and a buffet and ditch the arm chairs.

But you really need to talk about *your* needs and preferences.

flamingyue thanked jslazart
  • flamingyue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry, wrong picture for the current floor plan. Don't know why I can't edit my post, but the original floor plan is like this:

We are a small family, my husband and I only have a 4 year old daughter. So I don't think we need a duplicate living room. I want to have a open kitchen combine with big family area and small dining area. Personally, I like option 1, but this plan doesn't give me some storage space. Also, dining room is a little bit awkward position. By the way, the wall between living room/dining room and the wall between office/dining room are all load bearing walls. For cost consideration, we only can open/remove one of them.

• herbflavor
    4 years ago

Plan two

flamingyue thanked herbflavor
  • damiarain
    4 years ago

What are the specific storage issues you're concerned about?

If it's kitchen, it looks like there's a tall pantry at one end of the kitchen? (although I would probably think about swapping the fridge and the pantry, as well as move the DW to the other side of the island in option 1)...

If it's outside of the kitchen, could you add more storage along i.e. the bottom-left wall of the option 1 dining room? Or on either side of the fireplace (under the windows) in the living room?

• flamingyue
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Outside of kitchen, I am thinking storage of vacuum, cleaning kits, and other messy stuff. Thanks for your advice @damiarain.

• cd7733
    4 years ago

I like option 1 as well and using the closet under the stairs would be a good place to store vacuums/cleaning supplies. Putting a door in the dining is a great idea, too.

I like how option one modernizes the space and feels large. I'm not a fan of seeing the kitchen upon entry in option 2 or having a separate formal living, and the kitchen/family/dining feels cramped, to me. I also think keeping the separate office space in opt 1 is a great feature.

Best of luck choosing!

flamingyue thanked cd7733
  • herbflavor
    4 years ago

Depends on what you want. Plan one has a serpentine aspect : living /kitchen /dining are removed from each other and the prob is that none of the three spots are large enough to accommodate what I would want . Perhaps that is what you desire in that people will be splintered off but I see continual back and forth and not in a good way. Plan two w probably a reduction of island somewhat offers the one lg space and I would plan for the couch and around fireplace to also contain a couple chairs once the island is adjusted for that. And you still have the front room as a separate area which will evolve as far as your use dictates. Can't comment on storage ......it can be worked out .....looking at more long term possibilities and comfort/enjoyment for day to day living. Good luck

flamingyue thanked herbflavor