Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_82733016

Exterior Paint for 1950s Ranch!

JB B
4 years ago

Looking for suggestions to "modernize" this ranch 1) overall color? 2) shutter color or no shutters? 3) paint brick to blend together? 4) new garage door?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Yes, remove the shutters. The window sizes and style aren't really suited for them. I think the sage green Sativa suggested could look nice with the brick and roof colors. Soft white for the trim.

JB B thanked chloebud
  • chloe00s
    4 years ago

Not sure about colors or shutters - depends on the look you are going for, but definitely paint the brick the same color as you are painting the house. Properly primed, painting brick is fine. The brick causes a strong line that makes the house look too low and horizontal, despite the peaked roof on that section. There is just way too much going on there on the right side of the house with the brick, horizontal clapboard and shutters, and vertical siding on the top. Painting the brick will make a big difference. Garage door does look pretty dated. I would change that out, or at the least, not use contrasting colors on the “trim” and make all the door all one color.

JB B thanked chloe00s
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No shutters on a 50s ranch. Get a bolor that is darker for the siding like a sgae green or even a more grayed green. A nice MCM steel door to elimunate the storm door and if you want the scren idea go with a phantom screen a new garage door would be nice and the explore MCM landscaping.

JB B thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Izzy Mn
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No shutters. Paint garage door all one color. I've seen a house near mine similar decade with brick like yours they painted the house (not brick) a deep dark blue with white trim and a bright fun colored front door in lime green and a orange. At first I didn't like it but it's grown on me.

Do paint down spouts same color as house.

JB B thanked Izzy Mn
  • katinparadise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No shutters, sage or gray green as suggested, full lite screen door and possibly a wood look garage door or painted all one color the same as the house.

JB B thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 years ago

A Mahogany tone garage door would balance out the warm of the brick really well.