Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segacs

Sidelight privacy treatment for rental front door

segacs
4 years ago

You guys have been super helpful with my last couple of posts, so I thought I'd try one more.

Our new rental apartment has a front door that opens right into the living room. The door has two sidelight windows (and one toplight window, but that's less of a big deal) that basically allow anyone from the street to see right inside.

I've been looking for some sort of inexpensive, rental-friendly way to add privacy to these sidelight windows. The caveats are:

• The windows are 80" high, as opposed to the more standard panel curtain height of 72" available at Wal-Mart and such.
  • Window interiors are made of a plastic that can't be drilled or screwed into. Tension rods MIGHT be an option, but they don't stay up very well on that surface either.
  • We can't do anything too permanent or that would damage the walls or windows, since it's a rental.
  • We'd prefer not to spend very much money on this, because, like I said, it's a rental apartment.
  • We live in Canada, so whatever we buy would need to be easy to buy / ship here.

Ideas, suggestions?

Comments (22)

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Have you looked into privacy films? One example on HD site: Gila - privacy film

ETA: I have privacy film on my laundry room windows and I've never had to remove this type of film so don't know if it's a massive pita. :(

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

Just wanted to say that the standard length of readymade curtains is usually 84". Sounds like you may be looking at shower curtains perhaps?

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Could taller thin plants outside do the trick? I have a side light with a cactus in a tall square pot. No one can get close enough to see inside. Topiaries may work for your climate.

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Anne, unfortunately outdoor plants are really only an option for about 5 months a year here in Montreal. Our winters are too harsh for any plants to survive outdoors.

@ShadyLady, no, I'm looking at sidelight panel curtains like these, for instance. Every place I've looked only sells them in 72". I've never seen any in 84".

@Tartanmeup, I haven't looked into this, but I'd be curious to know if anyone else has experience removing it before I put it up and risk incurring my landlord's wrath.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

OIC what you're talking about now. You could always just hang sheers from a rod in that case, and just cover the sidelights with them.

• tartanmeup
    4 years ago

segacs, I'm in Montreal as well. I hear you on the plants. :P

For curtains, I'm curious about the rods. How will you hang them? Can you use magnetic ones? You could alter regular curtains to fit. If you don't sew, any tailor or seamstress could help you out.

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Tartanmeup It's a good question. The windows aren't magnetic, so magnetic rods wouldn't work. There's no place to install regular bracket rods, either. Tension rods might be the only option, but I feel like they'd just slide down on that plastic stuff that the windows are made from.

And yes, buying fabric and making my own curtains is an option too. Provided there's some way to hang them.

• Yayagal
    4 years ago
  • tartanmeup
    4 years ago

Here's a video from 3M describing a method of removing their frosted film. Very simple technique that requires water, detergent, plastic sheeting and some patience. Other tips online include GooBeGone and a scraper. They don't say how long the film was on the glass though...Don't know if that makes a difference.

Have you talked to your landlord about this? They might appreciate a long term solution as well? If Anne Duke's plant idea doesn't work for outdoors, perhaps you can try it indoors?

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ooh, velcro, I didn't even think of that. Would you velcro directly to the curtains? Or attach a rod with velcro?

And thanks, I'll look into some of those window film treatments.

• User
    4 years ago

We have the privacy vinyl Lowe's carries on our front door windows, french doors and laundry room. Instead of using their “kit” to install it we just used a spray bottle of water and it sticks well and peels right off. It looks great and was the perfect solution for areas we needed privacy but didn’t want to cover up nice architectural details with curtains. I think it would be a great temporary solution for a rental. We chose frosted but does come in prints.

The 3M vinyl in the above video indicates an adhesive was used, the kind from Lowe’s does not use an adhesive.

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Was also looking at Home Depot's sidelight panels, which are 11.75 inches wide x 78.74 inches high and might fit our sidelights. I'll re-measure to be sure, but it seems like something like this might work.

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Caroline, alas, our windows don't really have anywhere to attach the velcro. The sill separating the sidelights from the toplight is probably too narrow, and I doubt anything would adhere to it all that well. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

@Patriceny, yeah, leaning towards window film now. Going to see what my local Home Depot or Rona have in stock.

• ratherbesewing
    4 years ago

How about Command Hooks? They could hold the rods in place.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

I have used window film that uses water to apply and it just peals right off when you want to dispose of it. No damage to the glass. I ordered mine from Amazon. They have many different designs and patterns.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Have you actually stood on the street to see how much you see into the house I bet not much and you probably have to really try. Put a good light on the outside above the door and the ability to see inside lessens.

• segacs
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Patricia Random passers-by probably can't see much. But the neighbours, especially those living upstairs in the same building, can see fully when they go up and down the stairs. And it's just a bit disconcerting having the windows wide open to the public like that.

• donnawb
    4 years ago

I would do window film.

• Jo
    4 years ago

I would recommend speaking with the owner to see if they will put something up for you. I have sheers on mine and they provide sufficient privacy. If I owned the place I would definitely want to put up something that would be good for the long term.

• User
    4 years ago

I live in a 1976-1980 tract home development, maybe 1,000 homes on ~300 acres. About 75% of the homes have front door similar to yours, but with the window on one side. Including mine.

Some have installed: drapes, window film, stained glass, mini blinds, wood blinds, bubble glass, and for the last 5+ years, wider doors, eliminating the side windows.

Do you have a budget? I have seen the Sunday Comics and kraft paper used.

I added bubble glass, a panel was ~$20, 40 years ago, probable less expensive today. A couple of years ago, I added wood blinds, ~$350.

If your budget is Wall Mart Panels, either install to cover the floor of ceiling. If you go to the floor, your curtains will not cover the top, but that will allow light.