Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwdb

What color/type of kitchen floor will match my hardwood floor?

kwdb
4 years ago

My renovated kitchen will have white shaker cabinets, white farmhouse sink, white subway tile back splash and stainless steel appliances. I need to select a new floor. The other rooms have hardwood and it's in good shape so I can't justify replacing it. I'm wondering about using this luxury vinyl plank (9" by 60") by Cleo in the kitchen. I love the pattern. I'd have the tiles grouted. Do the colors work together? Is it okay to have the planks running in the same direction or should they go the other way? Here's a photo of the current wood floor with the sample tiles placed beside it.

Comments (14)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I agree with continuing the current hardwood floor if it's possible and within budget. Your current floor looks like a red oak and probably wouldn't be hard to match.

However, you could do vinyl next to the wood and the color you've chosen would work, but I would do tile rather than planks. Maybe something like this only with a grout that matches the tile:

Richmond - CLEO Flooring · More Info

kwdb thanked groveraxle
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

I think your selection looks great. I would run the planks perpendicular to the wood if possible.

• kwdb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As I'm searching for hardwood that will work beside the existing hardwood, what rules should I keep in mind? Is it ideal to use the same 3" plank size, the same color tone of wood, the same sort of grain? Or is the ideal to use wood but do something very different re:plank size and color?

• eam44
    4 years ago

I vote for same as you’ve described. Your floor isn’t what you want people to be looking at (or is it? If so go for contrast), you want it to disappear so the focus is on your counters, backsplash, etc... But again, if floors are your passion, completely disregard this advice.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Yes use the same plank size and same color..same everything!:)

• mark_rachel
    4 years ago

You would have to match the wood exactly to the existing wood. It would take a bit of work, but it would look very nice. I also like the vinyl tile that you selected. It looks good with your wood.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

What's your counter top? As much as I love the look of blue slate up against a wood floor, it would look weird if it is the ONLY punch of blue/gray in the entire kitchen. If in doubt, look to your counter tops to help pick your floor. It is a very simple (yet elegant) form of DIY Design which helps homeowners complete the look without having all the stress of picking 'another colour' for the floors.

• kwdb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks SO much for the help, everyone. I took your advice and was able to find wood planks that match the existing planks. I’m thrilled! Thanks again.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Excellent, kdwb. If possible, have your floor installer weave the new planks into the old so you get a seamless floor. It will look awesome!

• mark_rachel
    4 years ago

Take away the transition strip & interweave the new floor with the old. How did you find a match so fast?

• acm
    4 years ago

3-inch red oak? still pretty much everywhere.

• kwdb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@mark_rachel our floors are 12 years old. I brought a sample plank into my local floor dealer and they had a match. Our original floors were indeed red oak in a “gunstock” color. They have faded over time and so either “gunstock” or the lighter “honey” shade each will work.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

kwbd.......that s great you found flooring that matching existing..it is going to look wonderful!