Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beesneeds

What cacti can grow wild in SW MI? ID help?

beesneeds
4 years ago

A couple weeks back I was able to go on a bit of a tour of some parkland under development. Before going, the guys checked to make sure I was wearing sturdy closed shoes- because we had to walk though the "cactus lot".

Turned out the "cactus lot" really was. It was a turnoff from the road where a couple cars could park, and then you got out and walked through the grassy/weedy stuff to the developing area...

What looked like random green from the road was lots of flat paddle cacti that growth habit was really prone and laying flat to the ground instead of sticking up, right along with the usual weedy grasses and such I'm used to seeing. I was shocked to learn these had been growing for many years in the spot- apparently at one time there was a house that was torn down there, thus creating the lot- and the cacti had been growing there for years.

I wasn't able to get pics, but they looked an awful lot like the cactus paddles you can get from hispanic grocers (if you lucky enough to have a local one and they stock them)- only these were much smaller that the big juicy ones I'm used to seeing at the grocers.

I might be able to either get back there or get one of the guys to take a couple pics of the things. They thought it was funny I was so amazed by the cactus lot and it's ability to thrive where it does. I had no idea any cacti could be winter hardy to the chilly zone 5 area they are in.

Comments (5)