Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathernoelle1

Help Accessorizing Living Room!

heathernoelle1
4 years ago

I've often browsed the boards here for ideas, but now I'm in need of some help of my own!

We recently purchased a new home and I cannot seem to pull this room together.

What I want to keep: Sectional, coffee table, tv console, wall art.

What I would like to add: possible accent wall color (teal??), accessories, end table and lamps.

I'm attaching some photos of items I like, but I know they are not unique by any means. This room needs help! --Also attaching photos of the kitchen area, which is directly across from the living room.

Any advice/suggestions/links are greatly appreciated!

Comments (17)

• K R
    4 years ago

Nice start! Pull the sofa out from against the wall and place all of the legs on the rug. It may be too small, but try. The chair is kinda just sitting there in the middle of space. Try it next to the couch angled.

heathernoelle1 thanked K R
  • heathernoelle1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, I have thought about pulling it out. (It is currently about 6 inches away from the wall). Sadly, I think the rug is a little too small, but I'm willing to get a new, larger one. And yes, that chair drives me crazy. I don't love it...

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

The rug might work in the other direction with just the front legs of the sectional on it. But yes it is too small. If you get a larger neutral rug with lots of texture that would look great with the new chair and pillows you posted. Placing the new chair just like the picture straddling the rug corner.

heathernoelle1 thanked suzyq53
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Be careful about getting too many legs in the space. You need some pieces that aren't on legs or you'll have a forest look in no time. I'd want the sectional and art together, but that will be all off for watching TV. Have you tried floating the sectional facing the art wall and moving the TV there? Art where TV is with a console underneath.

heathernoelle1 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Rug is too small the art needs to be moved to the right or the seactional needs to be centered under the art The art could be hung a bit lower too,That lonely chair is too far out of the seating area but if brought into the main area with a lamp it might work I think a different coffee table would be awesome one not rectangular and with a glass top I love the Noguchi table for sure

Take the mirror away from above the TV Remove the fake plant and I would look at a much wider lower TV stand in fact the Besat system from Ikea would be a great addition for bot the TV some storage and some display . THe system can be done to look almost custom and IMO would help balance out that space

• heathernoelle1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste Now that you mention the legs, I cannot stop seeing them. Because of the wiring and permanent placement in the room, we have to have the TV on that wall. It is at that height in order to cover this huge wiring box placed by the builder. My preference is what you suggested, but I don't think we can get around the wiring aspect.

@Patricia Colwell Consulting The chair is not staying, thankfully. I don't love it. The kids move it from room to room. The console is new, so has to stay for now but I do like the Besat system above. I'm probably replacing the rug with a larger one and can definitely move the art over. Thank you!

@suzyq53 I had not contemplated that particular chair, but do like the placement suggestion! --I was wondering if using that teal color would be a good idea for an accent wall?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

In order to get a room you can love that works optimally, is it sometimes best to spend the money to get the TV focal point in the right spot. Move the sofa as I suggested and see what that does to the general feeling of the room. You may decide it is worth it to save up, move the wiring and repair the wall where TV is now so your room can function better for your family.

• threers
    4 years ago

You have very tasteful furniture. I like the brass toned lighting too. Please do not paint an accent wall!!!! Your current art and additional art will add the color and personality you are looking for.

When considering a bigger rug, think pattern and color which you need in your room. Your current rug is a good choice but indeed it is too small for your space. Would it look good in an entrance hall or perhaps under the dining room table?

heathernoelle1 thanked threers
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

Here is my rendering with accent wall.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

As for me, I am a fun of big wall art.

• heathernoelle1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images Thank you! I do like it, but have decided against the accent wall for now. I do like the accessories and art. :)

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

A larger rug is definitely in order. Choose it first and use the colors in it for accent pillows. I agree with pulling the art over so it's centered over the sectional and bringing the chair (or a new one if you wish) around to the side with the table lamp to form more of a conversation area. A few pretty accessories would brighten up the coffee table.

heathernoelle1 thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Let's Decorate
    4 years ago

I agree that the couch needs to come out of the corner. You can do wireless for the direct tv and Netflix and such and not have to spend a ton of money. Not a big fan of accent walls but I do like that teal.

heathernoelle1 thanked Let's Decorate
  • heathernoelle1
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Let's Decorate Thank you for the advice. It's a great room concept, so the the sectional is currently facing the tv area with the kitchen area to the right. If we moved the couch from the corner, I'm not sure where it would go without changing the open concept of the room.?

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

Pull the sectional away from the window and more into the room. There should be enough room to comfortably walk up and look out the unobstructed window. Turn the rug 90 degrees, I think it will fit better with the sectional pulled away from the window. I would put the chair on the opposite side of the tv so it becomes a conversation grouping with the sectional. Where it is now is not conducive to conversation. Remove the mirror above tv and the fake plant. I would replace the coffee table because of the forest of legs issue. Once you make these tweaks, stand back and re-assess your room to see where to go next. Your room is lacking in colour and it will be tricky to add at this point since you don't want to replace your rug, curtains and artwork. It's easy to add colour to a room with accessories like rug, curtains and artwork so you have created a self-imposed dilemma.

• PRO
    Let's Decorate
    4 years ago

Can you take a picture from the corner with the tree facing back in to the room?

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!