Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_476071560

help me decorate the dining room!

HU-476071560
4 years ago

So I just got this dining cabinet, cheap, from Facebook marketplace. Does it flow well? Should I leave it the way it is or stain it a bit darker or even black? I think it matches the dining table pretty well(?), but is there too much of the same wood shade?? See the black entry table pic- do I match this piece?

also, how do I decorate the walls around it?? Any suggestions?
Thank you so much!

Comments (13)

• Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

There is a lot of reflective glass in the cabinet as well as in the mirror adjacent the stairway. I'd stay away from artwork that would add more glass to the room. I'd leave the cabinet to its original (current) color. It is already large in scale so I definitely wouldn't paint it black.

• HU-476071560
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! What about some candle sconces on either side of the cabinet?

• Sammie J
    4 years ago

Nice space! I'd leave the cabinet the same color, and fill with tableware to see if that is enough decor on that side of the room. If you feel the wall needs more, add a large print (maybe botanical?) on each side of the cabinet.

While you didn't ask, there are a few additional tweaks I'd make.....remove the art on the window wall (or hang it lower), add a roman blind to the window to add some additional texture to the room, and shift the mirror by the console lower and center it between the edge of the wall and the light switch.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

I would paint the cabinet. Black would be striking! For art work I would choose some prints in black frames that are elongated like 16 x 24 for example. You may need larger of course but just an example. Besides black and white what other colors are throughout your home? l love all the colors in your rug and notice you have blue under your check runner. I would pick up on the blues and greens in your rug with the art work. Have you considered a new chandelier? I think it would absolutely change the look of the entire space.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Here are some that have been painted that have similar curved tops.

Go to Home Depot and get their chalk paint in Black. It is super easy to work with. Buy the clear wax. Theirs is also super easy to work with. Highly recommend it to other brands of chalk paint. Make sure your piece is dust free and go to town. If the glass can be removed it will be a breeze. If it cant taping off the glass will be your hardest part. Consider doing the interior white like the second photo .

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

"Spot Fern II" Floating Frame Canvas Art, 34"x50"x1.75" · More Info

Original Vintage 1925 Botanical Fern Print, Set of 2, Frameds · More Info

You could also do two square prints on either side stacked.

• doods
    4 years ago

I like it just the way it is, coordinates well with the table, lovely!

• HU-476071560
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My colors are black, wood, gray, blues, and yellows predominantly...
    I am definitely planning to buy a new chandelier. I am thinking of a rectangular one, either black or wood/black. I think it depends on whether or not I paint the hutch.
    I am loving these ideas so much! Those double framed prints are amazing!!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

If you were to do a black chandelier then I would consider painting the piece a dusty dark gray with a blue undertone.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    4 years ago

Some dark options for gray china cabinet

Luxury Colonial Black Acorn Linear Cube Chandelier, UQL2323, Savannah Collection · More Info

Luxury Colonial Bronze Diamond Cube Chandelier, UQL2067, Charleston Collection · More Info

Linear Chandelier, Bronze · More Info

Some lighter options for a black cabinet

Terracotta Designs Palma Linear Chandelier, Washed White · More Info

E. F. Chapman Linear Branched Chandelier, Bronze · More Info

Hinkley Tinsley Chandelier Five Light Linear · More Info

Terracotta Designs Palma Linear Chandelier with washed gray Finish · More Info

Millennium Lighting 3245-VW 56" Five Light Pendant · More Info

and what would be really beautiful is if you chose to hang two over the table to frame the center arch of the china cabinet

Romantic Iron Cream Beaded Umbrella Dome Chandelier, Victorian 8-Light Baroque · More Info

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

Your hutch is lovely as it is and works very well with your table. I would add pretty plates to the wall. This is an example but not a great one.