Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

How do you control noise in your home?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hi Houzzers!

Last week, we published an Ideabook about how you can reduce outside noise from coming into your home. We got a lot of pretty cool responses on the article and want to encourage more tips in the discussions!

Do you have any unique strategies you use to minimize noise? We all hate that leaf blower at 6am on a Saturday morning... :P

See the Ideabook! (first photo)
https://www.houzz.com/magazine/quiet-please-how-to-cut-noise-pollution-at-home-stsetivw-vs~13825501

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-parade-of-homes-green-dream-home-traditional-home-office-minneapolis-phvw-vp~3190069

Comments (25)

• Darzy
    10 years ago
    Definitely good windows. I can't even hear my phone ringing while sitting right outside on the patio since we installed energy efficient windows.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    SawHorse Design + Build
    10 years ago
    It really depends on what type of noise you are referring to. If you are trying to stop low frequency noises such as trains and semi trucks vibrating, then that can be solved in the engineering phase when building the structure. Otherwise most of the higher frequency noises can be solved by replacing windows with ones that do not let as much air through and also sealing up the house. Since sound can travel through different mediums such as air, walls etc- target the pathways first where you hear the sound coming from.

We have built new houses next to highways that are energy efficient which means they are air tight. One of the things that our clients have noticed is that they cannot hear their neighbors anymore. Insulation in walls on an energy retrofit help reduce the noise for one of our clients in an older home as well.
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked SawHorse Design + Build
  • basha113
    10 years ago
    Thanks for this topic. We live on a no exit street that leads into a provincial park. A city bus travels frequently
    into this park past our house both on the way into and out of the park.
    We installed triple pane windows hoping to reduce city bus noise. We also replaced the door with a heavy duty door. While there is some reduction in noise, we are disappointed that we continue to hear the whine of the bus engine and the hissing of the brakes. Our home is 22 years old.
    Any suggestions?
  • PRO
    SawHorse Design + Build
    10 years ago
    I would get together with a contractor that specializes in sound proofing houses next to airports. They have lots of tricks that can help you. The attic and crawlspace/ basement need to be sound proofed as well since air can some in through the vents and in to your house.
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    We live in a house that has an open floor plan. The house echoes terribly. We cannot put in doors because of large arched door openings. We also cannot have carpeting because of 5 little dogs! We have 10 ft. Ceilings.
  • basha113
    10 years ago
    thanks sawhorse construction!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    no one should be using a leaf blower at 6am.there are ordinances :)
    but, what do you do in the summer? everyone wants their windows open. so you have to live with some of it.
    one problem with really thick walls in really old homes is that cell phones don't work as well :)
  • PRO
    SawHorse Design + Build
    10 years ago
    I had a client that had an "app for that." She had an app that created white noise on her i-phone to drown out the unwanted noise from a condo above hers that had hardwood floors.
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    The only doors in the house are the bathroom and bedrooms...kitchen living room and family room are all open! When my dogs bark it is startling , everything echoes!!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    My 1910 home is double brick and I hear almost nothing from outside. For the noise on the inside, I've discovered a well-aimed spray bottle of water is pretty effective, cherierenae1959.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Textiles, waterfalls, and cranking up my Pandora mix of everything from punk rock to big band swing music. That's my dear dog barking by the way. He's a rescue who had five homes before us (he's a handful!) and he's a fear aggressive barker. So sorry...
    Jeannie Nguyen thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    :)
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Cheri1959, keep trying at add "fluff" for sound absorption. Drapes, pillows, less expensive rugs (for puppies' sakes). Tapestries as wall hangings? Check out Bellacor online.
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    Pcmom1, good ideas! Thanks! It's not only the dogs, it's closing cabinets, dishes clanking......we have never lived in an open floor plan or have we Had 10 foot ceilings!!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Sheer fabric blinds are expensive, but would help also in adding to sound absorption without blocking view. But definitely thick curtain panels to the sides of the windows.
  • industrialing
    10 years ago
    Turn some nice music on- and if your in an apartment and the upstairs-ist are party animals put fabric on the ceiling- it's an ikea tip.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    When I worked in television, I found that our sound studios often had carpeted walls. It's not a look I recommend. ;)
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Carpeted walls, no.... but I did have a different thought. What about cork flooring installed on the ceiling? I'm not talking the squares, but sheets of cork in the lightest color available.
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    I like the cork ceiling idea! Maybe a cork floor instead of tile also?! I will have to pass on carpeting the walls ; - / do you think cloth blinds would absorb more than wood blinds?
  • I Hricik
    10 years ago
    There are newer and costly materials that can be built into the walls and ceilings that are for noise reduction.
    Talk to a professional in the Home theater business- They would no the product that is used. Without major construction your best bet is Area rugs~ Think thick
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    A good reason to buy new furniture!!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Oh, yes to the question that I believe cloth blinds absorb more sound than wood. Wood is a hard surface in comparison. Cork flooring instead of tile would make a huge difference. Imagine wood flooring, although not nearly as good as cork, would be much better than tile also.

Cheapest additions would be thick area rugs and the same for drapes.

Wondering if even wallpapering (grass cloth?) would help. That would be another layer on the walls after all.
  • cherierenae1959
    10 years ago
    I like all of the ideas, thank you:)