Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnatrus

Advice please re: master bed/bath/closet layout

donnatrus
4 years ago

Hellooo! I’m so excited to get feedback on this! We are planning a complete cut of our 1981 master bath with some layout changes. We are doing it ourselves (mostly); husband is in construction and we’ve done a lot of renovations over the years (I’m kinda over it though!!).

So, our bathroom is definitely not ‘master’.. it’s a long narrow space: 18x5’. I’m attaching the current layout plus proposed option and a few pics. I thought about taking 2-2.5’ from the office but actually realize now we don’t have to..yay! Instead we will replace the 8’ window with a smaller one (6’) in the corner. This will allow us to change our bedroom layout which means we can move the bathroom entry so we have more room for the closet.

Would love thoughts/advice re: anything in the layout. Bathroom, closet, bedroom, etc... Any ideas would be appreciated! Many thanks in advance!!

Note: I posted a different post earlier today but forgot to tag ‘closets’ and can’t seem to edit, so reposting. Thanks!

Comments (22)

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Here’s the front view of the north wall for my proposed option.
  • donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Trying to post again.. front view.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? Thanks!!

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

With the vanity you might want to get wider sink base cabinets to gain more countertop room on ends. The drawers can be shorten some to accommodate. To save $ & also get wider drawers. 1 set of wider drawers instead of 2 sets. Can get drawer divider inserts to divide.

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you artistsharonva! Great ideas. Hadn’t thought about recessing the cabinet above the toilet but we will do that! And definitely recessed medicine cabinets above each sink. And good thinking about the sink bases. We will try for that!

For the medicine cabinets, should we go with frameless or thin black frames (our windows are dark bronze (almost black). Not sure if the black frames & window would be too much vertical stuff going on... thx!!

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Glad you like :) It depends. White bathrooms with minimal black lines can be quite attractive when placed right. What you can do is wait until after the vanity is installed then get some black painters tape or cut out some black squares with paper or take a photo & draw black lines on top of to choose your favorite.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Since the master bedroom will have 2 closets, you could make 1 of those closets a built in with cabinets. Keep 1 built in closet for hanging. Plus, having 1 closet helps keep value of home same.

recess can be done there,too

frosted glass doors with lights within would add a nice feature or mirror insert in doors to make room look bigger

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Artistsharonva, Good idea to wait on the medicine cabinets until after the vanity is in. And the tile will be in then too.

So re: the closets, are you suggesting we turn the 9’ reach-in closet into built in cabinets instead of a closet? I actually love that idea but wonder if I can do that since it’s the hallway into the bedroom. I didn’t think having doors that swing out would be a good idea. Know what I mean? Right now we have sliding doors. 4’ each for total of 8’. I hate that I can only see half my closet at once! But that will be resolved when I get the walk-in and my husband gets the reach-in ;)

Thanks!

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

In that case, closets to open doors fully will work.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

I’ve got a long skinny bathroom that we renovated about a year ago. It’s a challenge but you’re getting great ideas from @artistsharonva

Also, I love your elevation drawing ;-)

I did a similar tall cabinet and put a pull-out in the lower portion which is perfect for cleaning supplies. (I also have stacked W/D alongside.) Just an idea. See if you can fit the wastebasket into the vanity.

Good luck!

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Artistsharonva, do you think that swing doors will work or sliding for the walkway? Thx!!

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks scottie mom! Love your profile pic :)

I didn’t know that was called an elevation drawing! Clearly I don’t know what I’m doing but it’s fun.

Do you think 18” wide cabinet is the right size? Any wider and I worry it will look too big. Maybe that doesn’t make sense.

And I would love to have the trash in the vanity. I’ll see what we can do. I plan on a laundry bin in the tall cabinet, then a few pull out shelves, then just cabinet space t top. How does that sound? Thx so much!!

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And can anyone give some advice re: vanity/cabinet color... I much prefer stained wood vs painted but am thinking light colored stain so the tall cabinet won’t be too much. But, I’m thinking of a frosted (or maybe seeded) glass insert for top 1/3 of cabinet so then would dark stain be ok?
    Thanks!!!

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Oh what a pain. I wrote you a reply about size and color, attached two images and the whole thing disappeared!!

quickly: 18 is good and I used Agreeable Gray on the tall cabinet for the very reason you mention. Vanity is Walnut. Will try images next....

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

One more try with the pic

Mine is 18.5” wide and a little deeper than 24, but the shut offs for W/D are hidden in a panel in the back. Cleaning supply in the pullout below. Linens and misc storage above.

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

Uploading a photo to Houzz is honestly such a chore.....Hope that helps!!! Your bathroom is going to be super cute and successful :-)

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

In the hallway, I think sliding doors would be better do to how narrow it is. That is where I was suggesting a built in with less wide doors so you would have more room to open & stand in front of, But because want to see more things at once, then sliding doors. Pocket if possible to see everything at once. but if sliding doors is only way, at least you can see half & half.

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

Hi, Scottiemom, great ideas,too.

BTW, I have been having difficulties pass week on Houzz deleting while I type, too. At 1st thought it was my equipment, but I think is Houzz forum has a recent glitch. This is the only site that I am currently having problems with. Sometimes it will not even let me type & I have to refresh or come back. Glad you brought it up, now I know I am not the only one :)

It's making my posts & typing misspell too as I type this..ugh

• artistsharonva
    4 years ago

As for color choices, because it's narrow, I suggest staying with light colors. A lot of white if it were me. If you do a light color paint or stain then a bright light countertop. Less is more in a small space. Mirrors make a space appear bigger too

Here some exmaplesexamples of keeping smaller bathrooms feeling bigger.

Not sure what your style is. Please post some inspiration photos of bathrooms you like.

Try searching small bathrooms on pinterest & share, so Houzzers can help give info according to what YOU like ;)

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you artistsharonva and scottie mom!!

Scottie mom- love your drawing of your bathroom! Looks fantastic. I was thinking that tone is probably as dark as I want to go. Thank you so much for posting all that! I’ve had issues with photos too. Argh.

All, question re: bedroom furniture...
    I need all new furniture. I have my grandmothers set from the 1960s! So there’s an awesome furniture store in my town that carries a brand made locally (well, LA is 1.5hrs..). They will customize pieces and they have a bunch of stain and paint options. So, I don’t think I want all matching but I’m thinking about 2 different colors... maybe 2 dressers in same, then nightstands in another? Headboard will be fabric (different).

Thoughts? Good or bad idea? Other suggestions? Thank you!

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Artistsharonva, thank you! Love those bathrooms! And I agree. I definitely plan to keep the bathroom fairly light. Light to medium stained wood (or paint if I have to), light walls, light flooring and light tile. I’m attaching photos of the granite we will be using. It’s got some white, grey, cream, bronze and black. But generally fairly light. I’ll make a board with what I’m thinking. And am also attaching a few photos of bathrooms I like for various reasons. :)

Would love any thoughts on this, or anything else re: the layout. Thanks!!

• donnatrus
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is my general idea... with my granite. :) No tile choices yet for floor or shower, but simple and not busy.