Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_360380111

Leak in tile shower must be the grout need something to seal Surface

HU-360380111
4 years ago

I have a shower that’s leaking through the floor a tiny bit for right now but it’s only going to get worse. It must be bad grout work and id like to get this sealed up and have re-tiling the shower as a last option. Are there any clear seals that i can roll or float over the tile floor of my shower?

Comments (11)

• cpartist
    4 years ago

No it’s not bad grout work. There is NOTHING that can seal tile. The waterproofing is under the tile and if it wasn’t done correctly then your shower will leak.

Additionally if you are seeing water dripping it means it has been doing it for a long time and there could be mold and rotted wood underneath. The whole thing needs to be torn out and redone

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    4 years ago

Call a professional tile contractor now and ask for a consult. Is the ceiling below it finished? If so, open it up about 2 ft. radius around the leak area as the damage there will need to be inspected as well. You likely have a failed shower pan which requires that the shower be torn out and completely rebuilt. As cpartist mentioned, grout has nothing to do with it. DO NOT use the shower now as it will only contribute to further potential of damage underneath. Sorry you are dealing with this. It is a major issue and really requires an onsite consult by a real professional.

• HU-527663426
    4 years ago

Is this a shower in a home that you recently bought, a remodel you just had completed, a new-build?

• HU-360380111
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My girlfriend acquired the house recently after her dad passed away i remodeled most of the house but he had already done the bathroom

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Sounds like the shower wasn't properly waterproofed or you have a bad shower pan.

• User
    4 years ago

Cut that hole and inspect the drain plumbing first. It could just be something Not connected there. Or, it could be a clueless jackofall renovator flubbed up the whole pan, and everything else.

• Claudianne Young
    4 years ago

I live in a recently developed area and yes, the grout has allowed leaks in several homes. I think there is an issue with the waterproof board behind but I know some have regrouted and the problem of leaking has stopped.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    4 years ago

People mistakenly think that tile, grout and/or "sealers" prevent leaks and waterproof anything. No true. The basic "build" should waterproof the shower. Tile, grout and sealer do NOTHING to waterproof anything.

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

“Regrouting” a leaking shower pan is a bandaid on a gushing artery. It might stop the bleeding for a tiny moment in time. But it hasn’t fixed any of the real problem.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

To be fair it may be a plumbing issue. Mixing valve, diverter etc. Bring in a professional as Dragonfly stated. Don't rip anything out until the plumbing has been eliminated from the possibilities.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living