Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picturebug

Cost of floor tile with radiant heat.

picturebug
4 years ago

Found a 12x24 porcelain tile that we liked for a new construction family room. The tile runs $3.06. We'd like to put radiant heat under it. The estimates come out to about $12.50/sq ft for materials plus $12.50/ sq ft for labor installation, or $25/sq ft total? Does that sound right or reasonable? I didn't realize it was that high. I plan to make a few phone calls tomorrow.

Comments (9)

• millworkman
    4 years ago

Tough to say as it is about impossible to price a small job like that by the sq ft. Especially without knowing the system, the prep required, COL area, etc, etc, etc. All sq ft projects are obviously not equal and all cannot be analyzed that way.

• picturebug
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We're in Nebraska, very rural area. It's approx 480 sq ft (basic 27x16 rectangle with 7x7 jut out with 2 stairs). They've quoted Ditra-Heat system. Right now it's new construction so basic floor joists with subflooring.

• picturebug
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes the under floor heating is only for this space. It's a room we're adding on to our house. There will be supplemental heating from the existing furnace to the room. There's a new construction storage room under the room where the floor heat will go- so it's open and easy access. I'm not sure if it's a realistic price or they're playing on my emotions of me wanting to get it done and hoping I'll do it at any cost.

• WetRocks
    4 years ago

We're having ditra heat installed in our master bath. I found the Schluter phone app handy to see cost of materials needed. Just build out your space and pick the controller and it should give you a materials starting point.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

Did the contractor give you a price to do the same tile but with no ditra heat?

Schluter publishes retail price lists, you can do a rough estimate of material cost yourself. No waterproofing needed and (if floor deflection is OK) no tile backer underlayment, ditra heat can go right on the subfloor.

For a non-wet area with 1 zone the contractor would need to buy from Schluter the right ditra layer (orange plastic with raised dots), the heating cable itself, setting materials and a thermostat. Without waterproofing this isn’t difficult stuff, schluter probably has a video to show you what is involved in setting a membrane then putting the cable on top, then setting the tile. It’s extra labor + an electrician but shouldn’t be outrageous.

The tile allowance you mention (@ $3 per square foot) sounds low, I would look at that too.

• HU-814433645
    4 years ago

It will depend on the size of the room. Cost of electrician's labor. Cost of uncoupling membrane etc. A Schluter system Ditra-Heat kit (membrane, wire, thermostat) alone for a typical 5x8 bathroom floor is over $450. Not sure what it would cost to install. Electrician's probably going to cost about $250 for the amount of time he/she needs in a 5x8 room. Then you have tile and tiling cost. I did a bathroom recently myself with an electrician friend. The Ditra-Heat membrane was a PITA to install as it wouldn't 'stick' to the d@mn floor! Once it did, It took about 1 hrs for my electrician friend to install the thermostat and wire. I haven't tiled yet. My electrician friend got me a non-Schluter thermo and wire wholesale for $248. I ordered only the Ditra-Heat membranes for my space for $121.85. My electrician friend did the wiring for free. I guess what I'm saying, there is a lot of steps and labor to make your lil' tosies warm. I'm doing this myself and it is not fun in my opinion. If you can do all this for $25/sq. ft and you don't have to DIY, it sounds very reasonable and appealing to me.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Let's compare apples to apples. In my neck of the woods, a tile install = $15/sf all-in. That includes price of the tile ($3.06/sf) + 5% waste ($3.25 is now the cost). Now the 'other materials' such as thinset, transitions (schluter transition strips, etc) + $10 - $12/sf for LABOUR. Thats $15/sf all-in.

Hmm. Looks just about right. I'm in a very expensive metro area in Canada = same as a rural 'out of the way' place in Nebraska. Awesome...same page as my costs. Good. Let's keep going.

The 'Ditra' system is expensive but SUPER EASY to deal with. Installers LOVE THIS STUFF. It does EVERYTHING but cook you dinner (see myrica4's comment about Ditra doing it all in one step).

We already have a base price of (roughly) $15/sf for tile install. Now we simply add on the $10/sf onto the project for the Ditra system. Done, Like, Dinner.

$25/sf is just about right. Of course you can go cheaper on the system. That will cost more in labour. And right now labour is already HALF THE PRICE of the project. So you have a choice. Spend $$ on Ditra and have this done quickly and easily and with very, very, very few problems OR you can go cheap(er) on the system and spend MORE on the labour with a higher chance of failure (like wired mats where the wires die before the system is turned on...and yes that happens more than you care to imagine).

In-floor radiant heat for 'foot warmer' is a luxury add-on item. The tile is a life-long product = excellent value for money (in a hot climate). It is the LUXURY of having WARM tile that makes this more expensive.

Personally I would get in the most beautiful wood floor you have every SEEN ($25/sf gets you the MOST BEAUTIFUL wood you could dream of...I kid you not!).

It's your call. You are in a cold climate with tile in 480sf of new addition. It isn't something that many people would expect to see in Nebraska. But a stunning wood floor is.

• picturebug
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the replies. We have wood in other parts of the house (kitchen, hallways) and carpet in a living room. I love our wood except---I never had a water leak until we installed the wood. Plus the flooring store was hesitant to recommend wood for the room we're adding on due to the number of windows. But that is an option. Again I appreciate hearing the opinions.