Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_790501279

North facing living room dilemma

HU-790501279
4 years ago

I have a North facing living/dining room that gets very little natural light. I have tried several of the popular BM and SW neutral colors, but they all have undertones that I do not care for like Washed out gray, too yellow, too orange etc. I tried BM: classic gray, moonshine, feather down. SW: creamy white, neutral ground, aesthetic white, shoji white.

The room is primed and the furniture is chocolate brown. Unfortunately, I have to keep the furniture but looking to make the room look fresh and not dated. The dining area had the Tuscan faux finish but would like to change that to have an accent wall. Something with a rich color that pops.

I am thinking a neutral palette with pops of blue and green for pillows and the accent wall possibly in blue/green family...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Pics if you have of your north facing room!

Comments (17)

• Stephanie Yudelson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I just picked BM simply white for my north facing room - it hasn’t been painted yet but I found it recommended on a design website somewhere and I have used it in another room of my house and really love the color. (That room is sealed off at the moment as we’re in the midst of a home remodel so I can’t share a picture of that either).

• My House
    4 years ago

I'd pass on the accent wall, unless you play with color shades to add depth to a room,. Northern light adds a cool cast and accentuates blue hues. Since your couch is dark, add pillows in off white and the brightest colors in your wall art. Example: whole house was blue and green accents, but those colors were lost on the dark couch. Turquoise and chartreuse pillows were chosen instead. Aesthetic white is a shade lighter than SW Accessible Beige- a beige with gray undertones.,

https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/colour-review-sherwin-williams-accessible-beige/

Family room · More Info

Family room · More Info

Living too · More Info

This room is not accessible beige- I cant find paint info, but you can visualize how the darker blues and green pillows would drown on this dark couch.

Neutrals in this palette : accessible beige, fawn brindle, eider white. Fawn Brindle might add depth and drama to your dining space,

• HU-790501279
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I appreciate your feedback! That’s the exact brown color of my couch. I’m attaching a photo of existing space and my ideal space! I tried accessible beige and even had it cut lighter, but the gray was showing too much. Aesthetic white I tried but a pink undertone was pulling up :( I have not tried Eider white, so will add to my list! I like the Fawn bridle for drama in dining. Don’t mind the Halloween decor on window!

• HU-790501279
    Original Author
    4 years ago

existing space

• PRO
    Cottage Fever Interior Design
    4 years ago

I updated a log home that had a north facing living room. This is not the owner's forever home so we made modest changes and worked with their existing furniture. We were restricted by keeping the logs natural but did paint the panelling and ceiling white. The brick on the fireplace is BM Simply White. In retrospect, a gloss or semi-gloss on the ceiling would reflect more light around the space. The white sofas do help brighten the space. This is a beach house and the decor reflects that.

I do agree with DK Haas in terms of using bright accents on your dark sofa, tying in to other decor items and art. Unless the room is long and narrow, and you're trying to make it appear more square, you do not need an accent wall. As you can see in the photo below, the dark logs just suck the light out of the space but as mentioned, we were not given permission to paint them.

Log House update · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/log-house-update-beach-style-family-room-phvw-vp~144583696 

Do you have large windows and if so, what is outside? The reason I ask, is that if you have a large lawn for instance, the green will affect how your wall colour reads so keep that in mind as well.

HU-790501279 thanked Cottage Fever Interior Design
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

North light….B.M. Goldtone, an off-white is perfect.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I just painted mine Simply White. has no undertones. (that I can discern)

I also used BM Light Pewter. I think the white would be perfect for your space, but if you want a little gray/brown, the Light Pewter is also nice.

grab some samples and see how you like them

this is what light pewter would look like on your walls w/dark brown. I like the sage green accents.

I'd also think about replacing your dark coffee table. that entire spot looks like a black hole.

try an ottoman, or maybe a glass table. maybe a light area rug as well

here's a dark brown, white walls, a jute rug and some blue accents

dark brown sofa and apple green accents w/chairs and pillows, look great

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    4 years ago

following

• T Go TX
    4 years ago

We had the same problem and ended up using SW Origami. I

• C DeV
    4 years ago

@ HU-790501279 when you said you tried Aesthetic White, what did it look like to you? I think I am seeing pink but my husband thinks it just looks creamy. I need a color for my cabinets and I am having a bugger of a time. It's north facing room. And what about shoji white? What didn't you like about that one? Your inspiration photo is nice. I hope you can find the paint color that gives you all the good feels.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Consider true white for the walls and ceiling, then go with a darker neutral for the flooring/rug and add color with your other upholstered furnishings.

Use white mini-blinds within the window frame for privacy, if needed so you can limit curtain/drapery panels to covering only the side of the window frames and the wall beside the windows -- leaving as much natural light as possible entering the room.

Trying different bulbs in existing light fixtures and/or adding floor lamps in the corners could be worth considering.

• HU-790501279
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cathy, the Aesthetic White is pulling up a very subtle light pink undertone. It may be due to the green lawn that faces north out of my living room. The Shoji White has a pale gray undertone that I did not like at all. I am going to try a sample of the BM Simply White and see how that does!!

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

I also used Simply White in my north facing family room, which has a dark chocolate floor. Rug is a pattern of marine blue, off white and teal. I really like it, especially in winter when I am spending (too much) time in there - I needed brighter and lighter.

• Girlmom101
    3 years ago

what did you end up going with?