Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chriswj2

kitchen table setting

Yanni Yoshi
4 years ago

Hi. I’m not sure where to go with my table. I have two kids a teenager and a 9 yr old so I don’t want anything too fancy but I am need of a POP! I have gold and silver chargers if either is a better look. Table needs pop!

Comments (40)

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I suggest removing everything from the table and adding a centerpiece that provides pop. Maybe a potted flower, statue, or decorative bowl.

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The centerpiece shown is not enough?? Oh no. Should I add some greenery?

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ilikefriday will you send same suggestions? Thanks!

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

*some

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

• My House
    4 years ago
  • Twosit4me
    4 years ago

FYI..I have a friend who regularly spray paints her chargers.

• njay
    4 years ago

Duplicate post.

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. I like the Copper vase! I have brown napkin rings. Will they work with the plaid napkins? By the way I’m going to have to look for the plaid napkins somewhere else. $$$
    Thanks I like the idea!

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have these. Will these work in place of the case?? They are Copperish and silver ??

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have these. Will these work in place of the case?? They are Copperish and silver ??

• My House
    4 years ago

confused-. I posted a tablecloth for $29, not napkins.

your table looked distressed in areas, which is why I suggested a tablecloth

If you want plaid napkins.....sew yourself or. you could buy the tablecloth and take it to a tailor to create 22x22 or 20x20 napkins

ETA:. Yes, the brown napkin rings would work nicely, as they are neutral. The blue plaid copper look has a complimentary contrast of colors that share the lead role, allowing your neutral pieces to work as supporting players.

• deb s
    4 years ago

LOVE those with a candle !!! with two boys setting the lights low and adding candle ambiance may make meal time "calmer"

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh ok! Table cloth not the napkins. I looked at the pic without reading and the pic with the link looked like a napkin.

• bubblyjock
    4 years ago

What about your everyday china, though? That'll determine the centrepiece, surely.

How about a cheerful and authentic French or British oilcloth tablecloth. The real ones (not the icky sticky Chinese knock-offs) come in gorgeous patterns and are easy to keep clean, always happy, great for messy projects, etc.

Oilcloth

• hazelcraddock
    4 years ago

I like your raku pot but it gets lost on the table.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Yanni, you might check places like HomeGoods, TJ Maxx or Marshall's for table linens.

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

Is your tabletop in fairly poor shape?... if so ...try sanding (the tabletop only)and spray painting it in a satin black...this will give it an elegant/clean /asian/contemporary feel that will require less embellishment....the things you have shown that you have would be perfect with this look as well as simple straw placemats..and maybe an oval mat under the centerpiece

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have some wear and tear marks on my table.. I really don’t want to cover the entire table but I am open to maybe a runner? I really need some ideas on napkins, napkin rings and a simple centerpiece. My primary color in my house is navy.

• User
    4 years ago

Is this your everyday table that would have to be cleared and reset for every meal? Or is this a table for show? If the former, why would you put chargers on the table? In any event, setting a table with chargers as decor sound like a Pottery Barn showroom. Unless you are going for a rustic look, the table should be refinished. And then I would add yellow to the room. (Love the wood basket with the lemons. Reminds me of Positano on the Amalfi coast.)The whole room is flat, not just the table. Recover the chair seat cushions in a vibrant fabric.

• My House
    4 years ago

The Welcomed Guest · More Info

There are a ton of blue and white tablescape images... Some are for weddings while others are not. Blue and white can be accented according to season and with any color you want. Many ideas out there. Keep in. mind that the perfect table runner or perfect napkins are hard to find. Both will work to support the look you want to achieve. You don't need to absolutely love each item. Recently, I turned a Tahari cotton drape that I found at HomeGoods into two table runners. So look in the drape section too when you are shopping.

• bubblyjock
    4 years ago

"btydrvn

Is your tabletop in fairly poor shape?... if so ...try sanding (the tabletop only)and spray painting it in a satin black...this will give it an elegant/clean /asian/contemporary feel that will require less embellishment....the things you have shown that you have would be perfect with this look as well as simple straw placemats..and maybe an oval mat under the centerpiece"

Oh my goodness, no - a black table is the WORST for showing the dust, hairs and other detritus of a quiet life, let alone a lively family life!

• My House
    4 years ago

Also, take a look at this staged model home- Blue, White, Black, with warm wood tones. This is one of my favorites! https://tours.stevenjamescollins.com/public/vtour/display/209715

The counter stools are black with blue and white floral cushions and color-blocked (wide stripe) placemats. Notice how these two contrasting patterns add interest and life to an ordinary area. Also, the dining area has interest with patterned drapes, which you already have, and a patterned rug. I think the table centerpiece is a tropical red floral for unexpected contrast. Personally, I don't think anything sitting in dirt or potting soil should be on a surface where you dine. Fertilizer "ingredients" - yuck!

The key here is skip solids and choose patterns within your limited palette of blue and white

• My House
    4 years ago

5 Ways to Decorate a Table with a Runner · More Info

Since your table is distressed in areas, and younger children might be likely to spill, you might use rugged washable denim table runners used sideways on your table. Buy or These can be an easy DIY- 1) blue denim from fabric store. (1-.5 yards). 2) Wash in hot water and tumble dry. 3) Cut to desired width, allowing 2 inches on both sides for a rolled hem, so that's a total of 4 inches added to your width. Keep the selvage edge of you want a casual vibe. 3) Roll the rough edge and turn it over once more, 4) Pin it in place with straight pins. 5) Sew with needle and thread. Needed: denim fabric, straight pins, pin cushion, yardstick, pencil or chalk, scissors. If dark blue denim is too dark, use the "wrong side" for a softer more casual look. https://www.potterybarn.com/tips-and-ideas/5-ways-to-decorate-a-table-with-a-runner/

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I like the little twist of the runners laid across the table..instead of lengthwise..how many people usually eat at the table?...not sure if you use the table every day?..more than one meal a day?

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I need a simple recommendation.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

Whatever centerpiece you decide on, make it LOW. Otherwise, you won't be able to see each other, and this will be a conversation killer. I recently stayed at a B&B with a nice tall vase of nice tall fresh flowers in the middle. It drove all of us—all strangers—crazy: one person would always be eclipsed. We got so exasperated, one of use got up, picked it up, and assertively handed it over to the owner.

Plus, you have a nine-year old. Poor kid isn't going to be able to see anyone with a pile in the middle.

Low, stubby candles, in votive glasses might be a winner. The nine-year-old can be in charge of lighting them and putting them out, and no one will get their sleeves in them when passing around food.

The rest of the space in the middle can be for bowls/platters of dinner.

• tangerinedoor
    4 years ago

I also vote for simple, no chargers necessary. Consider having each person pick out a place-setting, plate, napkin ring, serviette (napkin) etc. They can be all different! And nothing to prevent you from picking them up from a thrift store, having a family selection event, and re-donating the rejects.

This is family that recognizes and supports individual differences.

When kids' friends come over, they get to pick themselves a set too. Then they'll be "family" for dinner.

Then you can smarten the look up with the special silverware etc. for special occasions.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    4 years ago

I can see siblings playing tricks on each other by yanking on a runner...swear I never did it myself.

• bubblyjock
    4 years ago

"Yanni Yoshi

I need a simple recommendation."

You've had dozens of wonderful recommendations, from simple to complex. Now be brave, jump in, get your feet wet, break an egg, and get on with it. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you won't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just thought I would get a quick fix place setting suggestions and a centerpiece. This is my everyday table and we usually place our plate (paper) on the charger to have more stability. I want the table to look nice when not in use.

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Any ideas on a napkin ring?? I love the chargers and the napkins!! Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

• Yanni Yoshi
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If the ratan is ok, would you add flowers or any greenery to it?

• My House
    4 years ago

Rattan Chargers yes. Use those chargers. Their texture adds interest.

Napkin rings-. For everyday simplicity: "Tiger Cowrie Shell napkin rings"

If you web search, many results appear, including Amazon. I suggest these as they are not "hit you over the head coastal shell shape." Their natural pattern is more interesting than the predictable "ring"

Here is Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/706005484/cowrie-shell-napkin-rings-set-of-4 Here is Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cowrie-Holders-Nautical-Crush-Trading/dp/B07D844TXT/ref=asc_df_B07D844TXT/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242123617904&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8314878506123569785&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1016140&hvtargid=pla-556331665846&psc=1

• My House
    4 years ago

Holiday dinners? Create wreath napkin holders-. Use live rosemary sprigs or Dollar tree garland ties and some ribbon for accent

https://www.dollartree.com/christmas-house-garland-ties-12ct-packs/243757

• My House
    4 years ago

Large artificial flowers can be made into napkin deco quite easily. It's simple: Hot glue the back to some ribbon and make a pretzel knot with the ribbon- easy to untie and set aside on table. Tip: to prevent the ribbon from fraying, use a match to melt the ends slightly,

Orange or cream peonies for Fall or Thanksgiving.

Pointsettias?

Artificial Hydrangeas are available in many colors too, for all seasons. White hydrangeas could have a puffy snowball look

Grosgrain ribbon is a bit thicker than a satin ribbon. This heaftier ribbon acts like a sturdy napkin ring. Match the ribbon to your napkins or use color to contrast.

• My House
    4 years ago

Jingle Bells & White Faix Fur - DIY napkin rings

Last year, I made these Santa fur and jingle bell napkin rings for my country Santa tablescape. I found wired faux fur at Micheals and looped 1" jingle bells tied on a silver cord around the furry band. (You'll need wire cutters.)

My red plaid tablecloth was far too busy, so I softened the plaid madness with cream cotton crosswise runners, cut with pinking shears for a fast no-sew solution and healthy safe alternative to bad for your health burlap.

This is what I found at Michaels https://www.michaels.com/fuzzy-craft-stem-by-creatology/10529830.html?cm_mmc=PLASearch--google--MICH_Shopping_US_N_Kids_N_N_N_N-_-Kids&Kenshoo_ida=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwYPX88X55QIV8iCtBh2lywhfEAUYBCABEgJpDfD_BwE

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The simplest way to set your table for company is a nice tablecloth and your best set of dishes. It won’t matter that your table needs to be refinished.
    Nice dishes, shiny stainless steel tableware, a good tablecloth, fresh napkins and some low colorful decorations for the holiday. With good food, you have a party!