Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanna_lopes

Backsplash Behind Range

Joanna
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all, I want to replace my current freestanding gas range with a slide-in gas range with a double oven. My kitchen has 4" granite backsplash, but it is not behind the range. I'm looking for some suggestions, ideas, and photos to help me decide what to do:

1) Keep everything the same and just replace the range (there would be a gap of missing 4" granite backsplash behind the range and only paint on the wall behind it).

2) Install tile backsplash only behind the new range and keep everything else the same.

3) Install tile backsplash behind the range and above all of the existing 4" granite backsplash (I personally do not like the look of this but could maybe be convinced with some photos from others where it looks nice).

4) Take out the current 4" granite backsplash and install tile backsplash everywhere (most expensive option but I think it would look the best).

5) Any other options??

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

#4 always

• eam44
    4 years ago

5. Install stainless steel sheeting behind the range.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Stainless steel sheeting looks like a homeowner hack job. Plus--there is no surface more difficult to keep clean and streak-free.

• Daniel OConnell
    4 years ago

In the case of having to opt to replace something, I always like to work around it if I like the existing item and it is functional. There has to be some tile options that would fill in this space nicely and even improve the wall's appearance. Small squares of glass tiles comes to mind... If you do tile, I would back it with enough thickness of wood so that it would be just even with the existing backsplash or perhaps slightly proud (extend further out). Keeping the existing backsplash is a greener option and less expensive.

• Helen
    4 years ago

Would you be replacing the granite on all the surfaces or just by the range.

If it's just around the range, I don't think the expense would be that great because you could find remnants for the counter top. I am not sure if it would work aesthetically but people treat islands with separate but complementing counter treatments frequently.

• Michelle misses Sophie
    4 years ago

Option #4, but NOT small tile. Remember, every grout line is a grout line you have to clean (and seal).

• Joanna
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all!

I do not like the stainless steel sheeting option.

If I were to replace the granite backsplash, I would do it all over so everything is the same.

I am going to have a tile contractor come out and give me some different estimates. Depending on how steep the price would be to go with option #4, I might go with just putting tile (not small tile) behind the range and keep the existing 4" granite everywhere else. While I don't love it, it is already there and nothing is wrong with it. This is not my dream kitchen or the color scheme I would have chosen but it looks fine for the time being. I might wait to put a nice tile backsplash all over when we renovate the kitchen, many years down the line (as I said it was renovated 7 years ago so that likely will not be for quite a while). I'm a stay at home mom and do not currently work, so I am trying to find the most economical option that I can live with for several years and will not look ridiculous.

If anyone else has any suggestions or pictures, please keep them coming!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Go look for a remnant match to the CURRENT granite, and redo the splash at 4 inches. You don't love the kitchen anyway, and many granites, especially builder grade, are out there in abundance.

Failing that? Remove and tile. : )

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

Jan is right. Scour local stone yards for a remnant that is the same as yours or complements it. If it looks like it was a design decision, the new 4” piece behind your new stove will be fine. Don’t redo the whole thing when you would rather have a better remodeling job down the road.

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

I love the stainless steel idea ..but since you don't , go with the same material and make it all look the same 4 inches around your kitchen . It's easy , quick and least expensive .

• Ig222
    4 years ago

I like Jan's option.

Of course, if you can afford it, #4 is the best option. I would not do #1 or #2. I have seen some people do #3 well, but it's rare. One last option would be to remove the 4" just on the wall behind the range and find a backsplash that works just for this wall. But I would nly do that if #4 was out of your budget.

• Snaggy
    4 years ago

*Stainless steel sheeting looks like a homeowner hack job.*..No it doesn't ..I would rather have that than tiles behind my stove ..lot easier to clean !

• Ig222
    4 years ago

I would rather have that than tiles behind my stove ..lot easier to clean !

Aagree. This is what I did when I bought a slide in range and I like it,

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

#4 or the stainless steel panel

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

I am kind of in the same boat but with formica counters. When I replace my stove with a slide in I am thinking of a tin stick on backsplash only behind the stove ( they have many stick on types). Anyone use them...thoughts??
    This may be an option for you.

• User
    4 years ago

Most of the stick on “tin” is actually plastic. Thats prohibited inside the combustible zone. There’s nothing wrong with stainless at all. It’s the professional chef’s choice, often integrated into the hood with a warming shelf.

Which brings up the question about changing out the MW to a real, vented, hood. That IS planned to happen, right? Because you don’t want to fry it, and you actually want better quality venting, right?

• felizlady
    4 years ago

#2 would allow you to add accent tile or a stainless steel panel from just below the range top to the top of the wall or to a hood.
    I would replace the microwave over the stove with a real working hood to vent to the outside. The usual microwave “vent” just sucks up smoke or odors and spews it right back into the kitchen through a worthless filter.

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    4 years ago

# 4

• Joanna
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would love to replace the microwave with a real, vented hood, but I have nowhere else to put a microwave.

• Joanna
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan, I was thinking last night about doing what you suggested and filling that gap with 4” backsplash of the existing granite. Only issue is the paint above the backsplash would get quite dirty. I think I found granite what it is by searching online but need to go to a store to see a sample and confirm. I have also seen some people use a slab of matching granite just behind the range. I don’t love or hate it. My parents actually just did that with quartz that matches their countertops and did their tile backsplash everywhere else. I thought at first that it looked dumb but understand my mom‘s reasoning. Much easier to clean the smooth surface of the slab.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

The only issue is what do you want to spend? You get a whole new matching four inch riser for a pittance, the entire length, btw.....,,,,,,,,,or you tile with a simple and plain subway, and remove the riser.

It's not brain surgery lol Those are the only choices that don't involve more major dollars or a "home Joe" look.

PS...... a thin cookie sheet propped up behind while cooking, can save even a painted wall behind a cook: )

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

There are some stick on backsplashes made of metal that are heat resistant so you can use behind the stove. Reviews say they look great. I think they are an option for the OP and was hoping someone had experience with them.
    I hear what Jan is saying about the 4" riser option (inexpensive) but I have never seen that behind a stove and wonder if it would look odd. But she is the pro and I am not!