Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pharmd29

LVP/SPC flooring, can't seem to find expertise

Dustin Ryan
4 years ago

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but need some help on choosing flooring for our home. Our house is a little over 6k sq ft in a higher end neighborhood and we are finally finishing our basement and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to find the right flooring. I was told not to do real hardwood since we are also building a pool and figured people walking in wet will be an issue and that makes sense. My neighboors ended up using a wood tile which is really nice looking but also very cold which wasn't the greatest feature. So we were pushed towards LVP or what I guess is the more recent SPC (stone polymer core). But no matter who I ask no one seems to give consistent answers on the which brands have the absolute highest quality product.

Biggest for me is feel, sound deadening, I want it to look the most realistic and feel that way and I am willing to pay more to achieve that. I found a product I really liked in Lifeproof pro walton oak (http://www.theveganpolice.com/data/The-25-Best-Lfeproof-Vnyl-Floorng-Deas-On-Pnterest.jpg) but after digging deeper this is only a 6 mil product and I have seen others as high as 12 mil so this scared me, just seemed thinner. I did like that it had random width planks and great color variation though.

Another one that seemed like a good brand but I can't find ANYTHING on is ThermaCore RC from Norwood Hill, which is a 12 mil SPC. Another contractor recommended AduraMax Apex which is also a 12 mil.

So to summarize, looking for flooring that feels the most realistic. Secondary would of course be color and I can't find anything that matches the Walton Oak above and doesn't have a bevel.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I have used Adura from Mannington for clients and they all seem happy even down the road. I have the cheapest stuff from HD in my walkout basement with 3 large dogs in and out in all kinds of weather with a doggie door , we put dri core down and then Allure vinyl plank it is now 12 yrs old we also have a pool BTW and at the end of the day I swiffer and damp mop it looks awesome.

• HU-161159613
    4 years ago

Look at Republic SPC. It looks really good and is good quality.

• Dustin Ryan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So so you think maybe vinyl isn't right for me? Any better options? I take it wood is out due to pool and moisture in GA so I don't know what other options I have? Everyone told me laminate is terrible or "cheap" so I feel out of options.

I haven't been able to find any brands locally where I can look at the product with 20 mil.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

OK, so let's get our terminology working here. There are two thicknesses that *seem to be getting in the way. The term 'mil' and the term 'mm'.

1. 'mil' = 1 THOUSANDTHS of an INCH (very small...wear layer thickness)

2. 'mm' = millimeter = 1 thousandths of a METER (1 meter = 3ft) = very close to 1/32 of an inch

Great. Now we have a definition of 'mil' vs 'mm'. The LifeProof (sold ONLY at Home Depot...ahem....Home Depot...) is 7 mm thick (the website says 6mm or more). That means it is more than a 1/4 of an INCH thick (it's almost 1/3 of an inch...but that's a weird thing to see). As vinyl goes, that's a middle of the road thickness.

The 12 mm THICK vinyl is the SPC stuff like CoreTec (the mineral core makes it thicker). And 12mm is almost 1/2" (it is SUPER close to 0.5 inches).

OK...now on to wear layer. The wear layer is what I was talking about with 12mil vs. 20mil. That is the MICRO COATING (super thin....thinner than a piece of paper thin...can't be measured using a hand held tool using the naked eye). That's where I was going with the statement '20 mil' wear layer thickness.

First thing's first...please work with a reputable independent flooring company. Home Depot sells toilette paper, paint and chewing gum...and in the back they sell flooring. For me this isn't a place to go shopping if you have many quality requirements for look/feel/wear. If you can by Christmas lights and lawn gnomes at the same store where you purchase your flooring, you might be looking in the wrong place.

To be clear, a FLOATING FLOOR is what causes the feeling of 'hollowness' underfoot. That's why the subfloor needs to be flattened to within an inch of it's life! A flat subfloor = a solid feeling floor. Wood can be used in basements so long as it is floated (ahhh....again with the floating = can still bounce and feel hollow under foot). You can have wood so long as you have humidity CONTROL (humidistat built-in to the Heating/cooling system because A/C doesn't always cut it). But again the floor would need to be floated and that is the BIG issue. Floating = hollowness (when done POORLY).

So...here are your options: A PERMANENT floor (such as tile, carpet, sheet vinyl, glue down wood, etc) will give you the FEEL you want (solid feeling without being hollow). A permanent floor gets tricky in a basement setting where ground water is an issue. But it still can be done.

As Patricia points out, you can use something like DriCor underneath and then nail down the wood. That is totally acceptable. This decision is best done before doors are hung...but it doesn't have to be.

Please get out of 'big box' stores and go shopping at your high-end flooring stores. They will not deal in junk. And for a quality vinyl/floating floor product you will be looking at prices that are 2-4 times HIGHER than Home Depot.

• HU-407133450
    3 years ago

I just ordered the thermacore 12 mm. I’m wondering how you like it? I can’t find anything on it either.

• Katelyn Eisler
    3 years ago

How did the Thermacore 12 mm work out? Is it holding up well?