Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_hogan6021127

lack lustre master

Carolyn Oliver
4 years ago

We made the mistake of getting a bedset way too bulky for the space. We are going to start building in the spring but that will take 10-12 months. Until then, I want to make our master more inviting, soft, adult space. I would love some help on how to elevate the atmosphere for cheap. The rest of our house is SW light French grey.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• violetsnapdragon
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Accent color on the wall behind the bed. You could do a wallpaper wall, but that's getting expensive. Also, some filmy white sheer curtains on the window would soften the look. HomeGoods has lots to choose from.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Hang the photos on the walls. Then add curtains.

It's a good idea to declutter before moving. Look into velvet compartmented inserts for shallow top drawers if you have a lot of small things.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Could anyone suggest paint and accent colours, layout suggestions, etc?

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The colour there now is builder beige and there when we moved in. I’m thinking a nice taupe or greige

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

When you are moving in a year, painting can be a way to get ahead on preparations. If so, try the same white as your trim for new wall colors. Greige and taupe are just more of what you have now. White is the most popular "whole house" color choice for selling in my area. Talk to an agent or three about fashionable colors for selling in your area.

If prep for selling is not a priority right now, try a light sky blue from your bedding print.

• Carolyn Oliver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve tried rejigging the furniture. I like the two dressers on opposite walls much better but I am not sure how I feel about blocking the window? I think I’d like a accents of blush/ dusty rose with the a fresh coat of paint and chocolate furniture. Can anyone offer a few styling tips?

• LT Dub
    4 years ago

I actually liked the initial layout, leaving the window exposed.

If you are moving anyway I would do minimal upgrades with everything found somewhere like Homegoods etc

I think if you brighten the decor you may get through the year feeling cozy!

sheer curtains as someone mentioned above

center the bed (from initial photo)

new bedside lamps

off-white/cream rug that fits half under bed

off white/cream bedding with pillows

Chair and table under window

a couple of artificial green plants for corner and nightstands

artwork over bed

add some color with accent pillows and a smaller rug underneath the chair that matches those pillows

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'd save all my money for the new build, with the exception of paint. There is entirely TOO much "chocolate" furniture. Can you re purpose at least one, preferably two dressers to another bedroom? Sell the bed on Craigslist and get an inexpensive upholstered headboard, in perhaps a very pale gray? Stay away from taupe and griege unless you want a very muddy fail. Put the bed back on the long wall opposite the entry to master, don't block the minimal light in the room. Best scenario is one UPHOLSTERED headboard, the two side table, one dresser at most. Inexpensive white sheers, and a couple coats of paints in anything but mud. Even the palest gray as what you already have in the house,.

Lesson learned: Never buy the entire shebang for a bedroom. It will choke all but a room the size of a palace master bedroom. Maybe even the "palace" : )

• RedRyder
    4 years ago

I think white paint will help tremendously. Don’t spend money on anything you can’t take with you. I would suggest getting a blush colored blanket as your current one is dark. If you can consider a new headboard (they’re not as much as you’d think) Jan’s suggestion of a soft grey will change everything. But the current duvet is also dark. (My house was painted white to sell it too. It’s a good idea.)

• LT Dub
    4 years ago