Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about transplanting wild seedlings

catherinet
4 years ago

I have a vegetable garden with 70 gallon food-grade stocktanks that are raised up on 1 level of cement blocks. We have tons of leaves every fall and have a big shredder that quickly makes the leaves into great compost for the garden. But this year, it seems as though perhaps lots of tulip tree seeds may have made it through the shredder.......or perhaps just blew into the compost. At any rate, I have a bunch of nice tulip tree seedlings in my veggie stock tanks. I'm assuming that they would die if I left them there until spring? We're having extremely early freezing temps now. Would it help to put lots of leaves around them and just leave them there....but would their roots freeze? Or should I transplant them into the ground as soon as possible later this fall? Thanks!

Comments (6)

• hairmetal4ever
    4 years ago

Got pics? If they’re growing in partially completed compost, they wouldn’t be hard to transplant even now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

lets experiement

they do just fine in my 3 feet of frozen mother earth ... so thats not an issue ...

but accumulated water.. and perhaps drenching rains or snow melt in late winter could be an issue ...

imo ... just dig out half.. and put them in mother earth ... a little nursry bed to grow a few more years ...

and leave at least 2 in there... and see if they make it.. and let us know ...

remind me where you are.. that you have.. as you say you are having EXTREME FREEZING WEATHER ... you might think so.. but i doubt these cold hardy plants are of the same opinion ... though if the tank freezes solid.. well so much for doing anything.. lol ...

do what you have to do.. dont treat them like babies.. and just get it done ...

down here near ann arbor.. we are having the same temps.. and I HAVE NO DOUBT ... WE WILL REBOUND ... the soil usually doesnt freeze solid until late dec.. thru mid jan ...

ken

• catherinet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Ken. I'm in central Indiana. Tonight and tomorrow night the lows will be 11 and 9, but the highs will gradually go up into the 30's. Yeah, I was thinking of experimenting too......move some and leave some. I'm a tree addict. haha........we have so many now that it's hard to find places for more........but I will. And with this crazy weather, it might even get up into the 80's before christmas. haha Thanks for your input!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    4 years ago

ok... ok ... reality ... 8 inches of snow yesterday ... while i was typing the above .. lol .. and in the 20s today .... who knew ...

im still sure temps will rebound ... whatever ...

just keep in mind.. they are hardy trees .. just because they are small.. makes little difference ... they arent babies .... that need much special ....

the tub of course ... messes with the natural processes.. and that is the variable to be concerned about .. and as noted.. i think its the water issue ... i doubt the cold is ...

however .... an early break of dormancy in that tub .....might also be an issue .. if we have an early spring.. and the tub media warms early ..... and then a cold snap ... older trees have enough stored energy ... to releaf if they lose their leaves ... this size tree might not .... this is where mother earth.. with her larger mass ... might keep the tree dormant later ... which would be good ....

ken

• catherinet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Ken! All good stuff to consider!