Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawnalzab

Living Room Dining Room Combo in Narrow Long Space

Shawna Z
4 years ago

Hi all,

First time poster, but have come to the end of my rope with this particular room. I do not want to change the paint color, but I think I need to change a few of the pieces to bring it all together. This room is a challenge due to it being narrow and long and the front door and stairs. It is a lake/coastal vibe and the most formal area of the house that does not get used much. I get lots of compliments but, it just just do it for me..... parts do but not all together. Ignore the red chair next to the wall, I just rearranged my furniture and will need this to go...

Comments (40)

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

It's a fairly large room with a lot of little stuff, so it ends up looking clutter-y. The mirrored console doesn't help. I would replace that with a plain wood console, then rework all the art and accessories, removing things that are too small or don't relate to anything (like the word art over the window).

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

What are the two doors? There's one by the sofa and another down the stairs.

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The one by the sofa is the front door and one down the stairs is the back door.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I think you'd be very pleased following grover's advice.

• User
    4 years ago

What is bothering you the most? Are you wanting some new furniture or is it just the placement of what you have? I’m thinking the wing back chairs could be changed out. And agree with groveraxle about the too much little stuff everywhere.

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I want to change as little as possible, but am willing to invest in a new piece or two to bring it all together and rid the clutter! The room just doesn't feel cohesive or polished. Parts do but not all together. The mirror buffet would be a hard sell to give up, but I have tried it in every location. I do however, understand your advice.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Getting rid of the carpet would go a long way toward updating the space.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

The mirrored console provides too much reflection and just exacerbates the cluttered feeling.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

Take very good measurements and draw the room on graph paper (each square can equal 6”) as if you are looking down from above. Show the location of all doors, windows and other openings, the stairs, and the name of each space. Take measurements and draw each piece of furniture on graph paper, label each one, and use cutouts of the furniture to try several arrangements within the room drawing. That visual approach helps a lot of people design their rooms without moving the furniture itself.

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

accessories in this color too dark, or almost this? In a store you could match/blend with paint.

GDF Studio Ezra Classic Fabric Club Chair, Navy Blue · More Info

GDF Studio Gondor Extra Plush Cushion Fabric Wingback Recliner, Blue Gray Fabric · More Info

Zerk Swivel Arm Chair, Peacock Blue Linen · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/zerk-swivel-arm-chair-peacock-blue-linen-prvw-vr~105002438

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you groveraxle, that looks great! Unfortunately :-( the floors are not an option. We plan to only be fore for 5 more years and the carpet was just updated because the other flooring is inconsistent and that is the only way to get some consistency through the house. Ideally I would replace everything with wood type throughout but that is just not an option. I do want it to be pleasing and liveable for those years as much as possible.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I'm unsure how the mirrored piece fits in - seems almost too fancy....

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Mostly posting for the fabric - brighter -

ProLounger Push Back Recliner Chair, Blue and Green Geometric · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/prolounger-push-back-recliner-chair-blue-and-green-geometric-prvw-vr~105002263

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The mirror piece matches the dining table bases

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Ok... does the soft-colored chest in between the mirrored items seem to fit, in person - from here, doesn't seem to.

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That could definitely be replaced

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

or removed

• everdebz
    4 years ago

What about in front of window a colorful sofa- where there's little paint color, and that sofa moved over, with art over?

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Haven't quite got the right balance on that high wall in the dining room yet. Normally, I don't like stuff hung that high, but that wall does need something...

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Wood floor gone...sniff...

Shawna Z thanked groveraxle
  • Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I used to have the mirrored buffet on the wall behind the dining room, but I moved it today to see if I liked it, it does fit well there, I was just trying something new, maybe with the arrangement you did on the ledge that would feel better. I did take down the family sign and that helped!!!!!

• ashtonchic
    4 years ago

How about something like this?

Interiors · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO you need to pick a style right now it is just a hodge podge of different elements that do not work together . The DR contemporary, the LR traditional with a touch of glam not appropriate at all in that room So much little decor items that almost are almost farmhouse . If you were my client that is what we would start working on.

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I removed the family sign, put the buffet back and decluttered the ledge. Not to keen on replacing all my furniture as I mentioned before we will be here for only 5-6 more years. BUT I do feel comfortable with purchasing a few pieces that will bring the room together.

I do have a large white pottery bard sectional in the basement family room, but we put it there because hardly no one sits in the formal LR.

I tend to like to tastefully mix styles, but obviously have missed the mark here.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I like the console in the dining area, but I would bring everything on the ledge to the console. Then I would lower the boat art to just above the ledge. I am not sure I would keep the shutters.

I may even try the boat art leaning on the ledge or on the ledge. I think trial and error in that space needs to be done. The art is too high.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Some Inspiration below:

See how the vase with the greenery is tall and meets the art. It brings the pieces together, making a connection.

High School Sweethearts Return Home · More Info

Shawna Z thanked njmomma
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

I missed posts that were made sorry to be lost again.... yes the mirrored piece would seem better with its table-mate. Have you thought of what's next? would another item, like wooden floor lamp, be replaced to tip the balance more to dressy [mirror-y] ? ;)

less expensive than chairs and such.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Wait I know it's nice, and you'll say so I think... how about the very dark end table? to a bit of sheen using metal frame?

does the sofa in person seem drab with white behind it - place it on long wall ...

• Shawna Z thanked everdebz
  • Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So I should get a mirrory floor lamp to bring that touch into the living area? I want to be sure I understand you correctly. Thanks for the link!

• Shawna Z
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Transitional style is my preferred style.... for the poster that asked above

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I think mercury glass lamp could be a blend.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Let's imagine the railings weren't dark - I see dark end table too. If it were chalk painted toward a lighter / oceany look - would this type work? Not more mirror-y, but like the paint color, and like your informal items

A transitional chandelier would help.

Aqua Frosted Glass Table Lamp · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/aqua-frosted-glass-table-lamp-with-shade-prvw-vr~141328372

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Or on the mirrored console if a blend.

Emerald Isle 1-Light Table Lamp in Frosted Aqua with White Shade · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/emerald-isle-1-light-table-lamp-frosted-aqua-with-white-shade-prvw-vr~138723871

• everdebz
    4 years ago

or more fancy - 32" H x 13" D. Blue fabric drum shade. Handcrafted by artisans - no two pieces are the alike. (1) bulb, 60 watt Max (not included)

Handcrafted Metal Mosaic Blue Table Lamp · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/urban-designs-handcrafted-artisan-metal-mosaic-blue-table-lamp-prvw-vr~56620929

• everdebz
    4 years ago

One more: Champagne mosaic Polyresin table lamp with crushed mirror accents

For $200 could buy something else !

Regency Table Lamp · More Info

•lamp bulb holder is E26 - any kind of E26 bulb. E26/Medium (Standard). A-type light bulb. •Wattage of bulbs: 60 Watts W 18.11" / D 10.83" / H 31.1"

https://www.houzz.com/products/regency-table-lamp-prvw-vr~59177082

• Maria M.
    4 years ago

You could beef up the curtains a bit. They look flimsy. I agree with other commenters about having too many little pieces in the room. The small dresser between the LR and DR is one example.