Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmstein

Front door dilemma

sarahmstein
4 years ago

We are close to completion and I’m torn about what to do with the front door. I really love the way it looks without the trim when you are up close, but from farther away it becomes a black hole unless the front porch light is on. Should we trim it out or leave it as is?

Comments (14)

• ljk1
    4 years ago

I would leave the front door as it is. Love it. I would leave the front porch light on at night. You could put that light on a timer to come on at night and off in the morning.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

I know this doesn’t exactly answer your question, but if you love the door as is, consider two large white planters just inside the walkway to the front door. That would reduce the black hole effect and brighten the entry. Door trim could always be added later if you decide in favor of it. Couldn’t find pics great pics, but you get the idea.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

Just looked a little closer at your third pic. The corner where the short stone walls meet the house would be the perfect place for planters. You could use some tall plants and add color to brighten the entryway.

• Shasta
    4 years ago

Another vote for keeping your gorgeous door as is and adding some color with planters which you can change with the seasons. You have enough going on with the stone, shingles, white beams and wood curved ceiling. Enjoy your beautiful new home!

• itsourcasa
    4 years ago

White trim would look nice but it's not necessary!! Looks great as is. Love your exterior shingle color, what color is it?

• sarahmstein
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I never thought of the plantar idea - that’s a great idea! I like the idea of trying that out before adding trim, since once you add trim it’s permanent. I definitely can see pros to going either way, so I appreciate all the feedback. It has been a long year - I can’t tell you how comforting it is to hear such nice words about our home when there’s a million different ways you can go about designing it :-)

itsourcasa - the siding is Foundry Deep Granite.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

I do like the planter suggestion but also agree with DK Haas...trim would look great.

• highdesertowl
    4 years ago

Another vote for keeping it as is; so pretty!

• NancyD
    4 years ago

I love the door and the stain you’ve chosen for it and wouldn’t change it. Have you considered painting/solid color staining the area around the whole door in white? I’d play around with Sherwin Williams ColorSnap or another app that lets you see how color might work. The white would work with your window trim and really lighten the area around the front entry.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

The door will still be a black hole even with white trim...and I don’t think the door needs to be painted white. If the door is in shadow all day long, you may want to consider a solar-powered light to gently illuminate it rather than using electricity. The actual porch fixture can be put on a timer so it comes on as night falls and goes off before dawn or whenever you want it off.

• flopsycat1
    4 years ago

One more thought. Since the doors are largely glass, would keeping the interior foyer light on illuminate the entry? For the cost of a little extra electricity.

At any rate, let us know what you decide. It will be lovely!

• My House
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

If you are unsure about trim.... Fake it to get "the look". Buy some white poster boards at a Dollar store. Cut strips the width of trim. It doesn't have to be perfectly shaped, but you could mimic the arch. Attach the pieces -staple together to make a horseshoe shape. Place it around/ over the door. Command strips might help with temporary adhesion, Step back. Take a photo . Judge

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

All your windows have white trim ..why not paint the door white as well ..? With and without the lovely idea about white planters ?