Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
felicity6363

Fireplace surround

Mel
4 years ago

Need to rip out the rest of this old tile and re tile this fireplace. Thinking these Large porcelain tiles for the hearth

And these for the surround.

What does everyone think? Or should I keep it simple and match a smaller tile with the hearth tile?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    4 years ago

I'd stick to one style. Both would work well- the marble look is a tad more timeless but the arabesque is more fun. They don't work well together though and it will just look disjointed.

Mel thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Mel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both! I better stick with all marble theN... I don’t like the idea of putting the glass arabesque tile on the floor/hearth area.,

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Does this FP even work?

• Mel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It does work, it’s wood burning, however, since this is a second home by the beach it’s only been used once.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

At the beach, then I'd consider changing the surround to something less traditional - IMO.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I wouldn't do large tiles for the surround. the area is too small for large tiles.
    why not do a real marble mosaic?

black marble chevron. (or you could do a porcelain that looks like natural stone. I did a similar herringbone tile, in porcelain, for a shower floor. it would look nice on a fireplace

For the hearth, look for a large 24x24 or 30x30 tile (less cuts) or, find a remnant of piece of granite, marble, quartz, etc.

here they did the same marble mosaic for both. you could do this with any of the stone mosaics, even the chevron or herringbone

marble hex.

other options....stacked stone or ledger stonethis one is a white quartzite, split-face w/marble tile hearth and a painted wood trim border

remnants. you could have a fabricator cut the pieces to fit your surround

last option is a cement or porcelain tile like these

(I'd remove the mantel vertical pieces and just replace w/a solid, thick wood mantel

and I love the CleTile terra cotta or Zelliege Tiles

they have these in some beautiful colors (and they're having a sale right now)

you could also do them for the hearth.

something like this in the soft blue would be beautiful for a beach house.

do the same on the hearth, or get a remnant piece of carrara marble.

• Mel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much Beth! Beautiful ideas! Really love this one from Zelliege tile. So you think I could do something like this then marble or large tile (24x24) on the hearth?

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

Don't do mosaic or small tile on the hearth, looks cheap. Ideally, one single piece of stone would be best. But, getting back to your original choices, I quite like what you've chosen. I like the way the shapes work together. What I would change, however, is the colour of the arabesque. Maybe go with the same carrera or correra-look for both hearth and surround. The different shapes will work well with the under-stated elegance of your mantle.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

Absolutely. I think it would look beautiful. Also works with your beach house style

• Mel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks brown dog and Beth! I do think smaller mosaics are the way to go on the surround then larger tiles or ideally one piece for the hearth. The sides are only about 4 inches wide.... These are pretty like the pic Beth posted above and have matching 24x24 Tiles... Will post pics when it’s done!