Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

living room paint colors

V Smith
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Stripped the wallpaper, now repainting...I'm thinking about the same warm white as the hallways with a soft navy accent wall. Dark trim is staying, unfortunately. I'd like to drywall in the two side by side pass throughs but DH likes them. Thoughts?

Comments (13)

• V Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would a navy accent wall look ok with the blue carpet and burgundy couch set?

Would it look ok to make the wall with the big window in the center the accent wall? It’s the only wall that’s symmetrical.

Do the pass throughs look ok as is, or is it better to just drywall over them? They make furniture placement awkward...it looks funny to put the couch or loveseat up against that wall. It seems like it’d be better to at least get rid of the framing around them but I’m not sure.

The carpet is blue with gray undertones. It’s a big room, about 18’x19’.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• njmomma
    4 years ago

following

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

I would not do an accent wall in this room, too much else going on with the wood trim, blue carpet, burgundy furniture, etc. Keep it the same neutral as the hallway. As for the pass throughs, I would leave only the one with the butterfly glass and wood trim, and fill the others in.

• V Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If the couch set were chocolate brown could I get away with an accent wall, or would that still be too much color?

• PRO
    Open House Home Staging & Redesign, LLC
    4 years ago

I think I would still keep all the walls the same color ... bring your color in with throw pillows on the couch. Nothing wrong with a burgundy couch! :)

• njmomma
    4 years ago

If you want to add pop to this room. Go with Large Art.

Not an Accent wall color.

Art help coordinate all the colors you have in the room.

• V Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have some decorating limitations due to kids (six of them under 14). Throw pillows would get scattered all over the house every day and it’s just not worth the hassle. That’s why there’s nothing on the coffee table and end tables...decor would get broken or vanish when the kids took it to use for who-knows-what. There are two big pictures that need to go in that room (we have four total of a set and there are only so many places to hang such big pictures). I’m not sure they help much with color.

I can add some color with curtains and put one or two decor items on the piano...is that enough? The fourth wall has another big window. Eventually we’ll have a farmhouse style coffee table with white legs which should help balance out all the dark in the room a bit.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Drapes will help a lot.

Is the art all the same size?

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Have you considered and would it work if you split the room in half? The slide is moved and in its place you put the chair and floor/table lamp. Sofa faces the double windows. Love seat moves to the remaining full wall. Now you have a focal point: the windows. Window gets draperies (blue like the rug) and then on the remaining spaces either side of window is where you hang art. I think you have room to hang 2/2. Piano goes behind the sofa.

The back half of the room holds all the other large toys. It’s close to the kitchen and grouping all the stuff together give you a play area and an entertaining area.

• V Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmmm...I will have to think about that. I am not sure it would work because the back part of the room is not very deep with the natural walkway going through there. I think the slide would take up the whole space, but when we move everything to paint I will play around with things and see if I can make that work.

• V Smith
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is 18’ x 19’.