Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmist

Please Help Me To Choose The Correct Tablecloth Shape?

Garden Mist
4 years ago

Here is my little dilemma! I have a vintage table set much like the one in the attached photo. I'm just refinishing mine, hoping to have it finished by this weekend. I want to purchase a tablecloth but I will use my table small and round most of the time but when company comes for dinner, I will put the 2 leaves in, and then it becomes oval (like in the pic. So I can't afford to buy both round and oval tablecloths. What should I do? I would like it to look nice for Christmas our dinner. Should I buy oval? Thanks everyone.

Comments (35)

• latifolia
    4 years ago

You will need three tablecloths: round; oval for one leaf; oval for both leaves. Drop should be the same all the way around. Let’s say you like an 8” drop, then the round tablecloth would be your table’s diameter plus 16”. Do the same for both ovals. If you can’t find oval, try rectangular.

These need not be expensive. Check thrift stores in your area. Get white ones which can be accented with a runner. I like linen, but you can find cotton or a blend. Avoid polyester because it’s harder to remove grease stains.

Another option is to get large linen napkins (say 30”square) and lay them diagonally. Be creative. You could also buy white and dye them.

Do you have any older relatives? They may have great stashes of linens they would happily share.

• Olychick
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would buy an oval or rectangle to use when the table has leaves, large enough for when both leaves are in - and it will be fine when there is only one leaf. I'd leave the tablecloth off your newly refinished table when it's just round. Then you can enjoy the top you've put so much work into.

If you must use a tablecloth during the times it's round, I'd buy a large rectangle and fold it in half to use on the round table. (Doesn't even need to be folded in half, it can just be folded down to the correct size. I sometimes fold each end in to make a square). Try experimenting with a twin sheet if you have one, to see if you'd be okay with the look of a doubled up cloth. You could also buy two smaller squares (use one on the round table) and use them together on the oval, side by side with a runner covering the seam.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

PLACEMATS! Save the oval for only the dressiest occasion. You can make just as pretty a table with placemats.

You CAN get placemats in rounds.....: )

• graywings123
    4 years ago

I am an outlier here, but I don't like round or oval tablecloths. Dare I say - it looks old-ladyish. I just bought a round table and put a square tablecloth on it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Placemats for the round and the small oval and a tablecloth if you must for the large oval since IMO that is the one most used for entertaining bigger crowds. IMO that large tablecloth could be a retangle no problem

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Oval tablecloths are much less common than round and rectangular ones. Since your priority is an oval one for the holidays, start with that one. Online selection is far better than selection in stores because most tablecloths are sold before Thanksgiving, not after.

There are thousands of vintage tablecloths on eBay, including a few never-used Irish linen.

• latifolia
    4 years ago

Try your local thrift shops: ReStore, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. A lot of times relatives take boxes of stuff there when they’re cleaning out houses.

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

I love tablecloths and have way too many :). Home Goods usually has a great selection at very reasonable prices ($15-$20). Our kitchen tables are like yours. We use the " round" on a daily basis. The cloths are 70". I often layer them for a fancier look, a solid round topped by a patterned square.

When the leaves are in I use a 60 x102 . As was mentioned by others thrift stores and eBay have good selections. For Christmas you can get a pretty solid color and dress it up with the napkins, dishes, etc. There is no reason to spend a lot of money on something that is going to get spilled upon. My cloths wash up beautifully.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    4 years ago

I'm with graywings. I have a large oval table and when I first got it I bought a oval tablecloth and realized I didn't like how it looks at all. I much prefer a regular rectangular tablecloth on an oval table.

You can also just buy a runner.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

I prefer an oval tablecloth on an oval table. Not following how it looks old lady like.? To me a rectangular cloth looks horrible with those long points hanging down at each corner. JMO.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Another vote for checking ebay and thrift stores. The selection of table linens, often never used, can be amazing.

• User
    4 years ago

First, thank you everyone for all your help. Secondly, I am an old lady. hahaha

My table top is going to be a gorgeous dark teal. I'm thinking of (off white lace). So, I'm going to use the placemats as suggested when the table is round. I think I'll look for a white oval lace table cloth for when it's oval. That way, the teal tabletop will show through. What do you all think of my plan? I have lots of Pioneer Woman patterns. (see attached)

I really appreciate all your help. Thanks everyone.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

If you are going to cover it,. cover it. Nobody is old enough for "lace" . No, ....not you either : )

Get a white damask in 60 x 84, and 34.99 ( yes, it comes oval )Click the link

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Elrene-Barcelona-Damask-Fabric-Tablecloth/22639718/product.html?kwds=&option=37700721&refccid=XUTL2JGO4YGJ4GKD

VLEAYQPVZM&rfmt=color%3AWhite%7Cshape%3AOval&searchidx=0

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

I think it's a great idea. Give it a go, and let your teal shine through!

Eemnes home · More Info

• lisaam
    4 years ago

That is a young, cool lace cloth.

• User
    4 years ago

I love both of them. njmomma, I couldn't find where to purchase the lace tablecloth that you suggested.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

Damask is classic and always a good choice.

Add me to the right angled table cloth league.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

The above dining room was decorated by a Professional designer.

Look on line for something similar to the Lace Table Cloth pictured.

• LT Dub
    4 years ago

Maybe have someone make a custom tablecloth for you

• njmomma
    4 years ago

I just read that the above pictured lace table cloth is vinyl. If you click on "More Info" people ask questions regarding the room and items that in the room.

"gosto design & lifestyle

It's a vinyl Tablecloth bought by meter at a nearby store in the Netherlands. "

• LT Dub
    4 years ago

I LOVE to crochet!!!!!

• Manon Floreat
    4 years ago

^ Me, too. The rhythm is meditative.

4 years ago

The PVC lace looks very much like this,

https://www.lincraft.co.nz/pvc-lace-runner-white-circles-width-50cm

It might be worthwhile to check Alibaba.

• Lisette Mauch
    4 years ago

If you want lace I absolutely recommend thrift shops but also garage sales- not so much individual homes, but bigger ones like church or village rummage sales. I had some friends scoping those out for cloth napkins for me. Lace (napkins and tablecloths) were everywhere and far easier to find than the cotton I wanted.

• Tara
    4 years ago

Whaddya mean no one is old enough for lace? Lace is sexy.

• Tara
    4 years ago

Frenchflair · More Info

Dining Rooms · More Info

Traditional Red Cherry Dining Room · More Info

Madison · More Info

Ecru Embroidery on Sheer Fabric Creating Gorgeous Curtain Panels · More Info

• Moxie
    4 years ago

I gave up on oval tablecloths long ago. The selection was very limited and the overhang was always skimpy. Rectangular cloths work well on an oval table. Nice overhang, plus flexibility to use on a rectangular table if needed.

• tatts
    4 years ago

One of the anachronisms in Downton Abbey was the family having meals at a dining table covered with a tablecloth. That was not done back in those days; they ate at a bare table. The TV show used tablecloths to protect the real antique table underneath from damage by the hoi-polloi during filming.

Bare table, placemats.

4 years ago

I have a lovely late 19th century English D-end* mahogany table, but our two sons, ages 19 and 20, live and farm with us, and we use the table daily, not just on special occasions, so I too have to protect my real antique table from hoi polloi : ) . Unlike Lady Grantham, I don't have any household staff, so all the care and upkeep is down to me.

Plus I like the look of a tablecloth, and lately favor colorful block print fabrics.

* it can be converted from one large oblong table into a smaller rectangular table and one small round table.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

That was not done back in those days; they ate at a bare table.

I don't believe that's true. Tablecloths (even if not exactly what we use today) have been around a long time. The poorest who ate on rustic tables didn't have them, but anyone with even a little wealth, did use them.

• tatts
    4 years ago

Of course tablecloths have been around a long time; that is NOT the issue. The issue was the style of the times. And if you watch the special about the making of Downton Abbey, they address this issue specifically when talking about the historical accuracy of the piece. The tablecloth was the one inconsistency in the dining scenes.

• shadylady2u
    4 years ago

Okay, but not sure what Downton Abbey has to do any of this?

• tatts
    4 years ago

The point is, if a bare table is good enough for Highclere castle, it's good enough for the OP. It's a viable option, especially since she's just had it refinished and it probably looks great. Show off the wood. Hence my last sentence. Jeebus.