Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpp_hey

Want to put a partition on my king size beds & mattress for kids..

Cpp Hey
4 years ago

I want to partition my king size bed with a king size mattress on top of it for kids. The key is the partition has to stand somehow and not just fall off when the kids are sleeping.

Although this is an unusual request. Any ideas how to do it. Few options:

1. DIY with cardboard boxes but do not know if this partition will stand over the mattress. LAME

2. Searched online and found nothing.

3. Getting a contractor or carpenter to build something is too much money for this task. There is something out there which will do it but I just do not know what it is.

I need something on top of the matters which will stand. Something like the following, except I already own the bed so would not want to buy a new one

Comments (22)

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

hahahah this idea often comes up at gatherings--not usually children fighting. Sorry, I think you need to let that bed go and get two twins.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

How in the world would you change the linens or make the bed?

• ana_46
    4 years ago

That definitely looks like something you’d have to get custom made by a carpenter. I don’t know ... nothing about that looks like a good idea. Aside from how awkward the sheets and covers situation would be ... a turn in the wrong direction and you can be rolling onto a plank of wood, banging your feet or even your head. Seems a bit dangerous and uncomfortable for an adult let alone kids.

• Lynda
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Would a bed tent work? You can have custom ones made on Etsy for under $150 - maybe have them add a center panel that would hang down to the middle of the bed?

Cpp Hey thanked Lynda
  • teamaltese
    4 years ago

What does your bed actually look like? Wood, metal, fabric headboard? Platform bed? Is there a footboard?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

A bad idea all the way around go get 2 beds this is just not good for many rrasons first making the bed that you can do by getting a split mattress but I am assuming you have the matress and are trying to make it work. I think if that is the case the kids just need to share a big bed no partition. You nave not mentioned how old the kids are or if they are the same sex that is also important info. The thing you show makes no sense just a hunk of wood taking up space for no purpose..

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

What is the goal? Is this a temporary situation for a few nights? How old are the kids?

• Cpp Hey
    Original Author
    4 years ago

metal bed. No headboard yet. But can get it.

• printesa
    4 years ago

I've never seen anything like that..is this for temporary use? is it for older kids, boy and girl? I would find it difficult to change the sheets

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

HAHA! Ok, this is funny to me. You could grin and bare it a for a few years or have a twin mattress underneath the bed. Pull it out and roll them onto it once they're asleep.

Good luck!

• jslazart
    4 years ago

Hang a curtain (ceiling mount or wall-to-wall mount depending on the room). Or find a bunk bed on craigslist.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Aren't there king beds that are actually made up of two smaller mattresses, so the contraption would fit between them? Maybe new technology has caused their demise. You could still sell your king mattress and use the frame and box spring to support two twin mattresses on top. I prefer the tent idea to that dangerous and inconvenient looking contraption. Here's a link to one; thought to be quite therapeutic as well as private. Just pop two of them on top of your mattresses.

https://www.privacypop.com/

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

Haaaaa. Have fun changing those sheets. Haaaaa. Haaaaa.

• User
    4 years ago

Even Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert used separate beds with their divider sheet. If you HAVE to divide things, you need separate beds.

• jmm1837
    4 years ago

Sell the king and replace it with twins It will be cheaper than hiring a carpenter to build a dysfunctional contraption the kids will out grow in the blink of an eye.

• Blueostrich
    4 years ago

I confess I don’t get exactly what you’re trying to do, so this might not work. But if the goal is to keep kids apart a bit, have you tried to place a pool noodle under the sheets? It creates a bit of a “bumper” for meandering sleepers. I haven’t used it for this application - I used it to keep a kid from rolling off a bed, but don’t see why it couldn’t work down the middle.

• Sondra Henfling
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Children grow up, so they don't see any hiring meaning of the carpenter. Just sell the bed and buy a big one or twin. I guess you want them to feel comfortable. We, parents, are doing everything for our children. I remember looking for the best camping mattress a month ago. My kids are 11 and 14 years old. And because it was their first experience, I wanted them to like it so much and repeat the trip next year. So I had to look for recommendations on https://www.untamedspace.com/5-best-air-mattresses-comfort-while-camping/ We bought two from Aria Queen.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Looks like a safety hazard to me. If you want kids sleeping in a king-size bed together, take a large blanket and roll it into a tight cigar, tied with ribbon or string. Place it lengthwise on the bed to keep them separated.

• Tara
    2 years ago

Why do the kids need a separator between them? Do they just not like each other? Does one toss and turn a lot at night and keeps the other awake? Are you actually concerned that one will do harm to the other? Do they need space because of quarantine issues? If there is one girl and one boy and it's only for a couple of nights while visiting family, then perhaps each gender should sleep with someone of the same gender - mother/daughter, father/son. In any of those instances, it would be better to have 2 twin size beds. They will fit in about the same space, then you can have an actual room divider so they don't see each other.

• Kim T.
    2 years ago

If this is only a temporary solution, I'd build it out of PVC pipe. 90 degree elbows at the top, T joints at the middle along the top of the mattress, T joints at the bottom to make a base/feet (perpindicular to the T joint in the middle). Sew a rod pocket at the top and bottom of a piece of fabric and slide it on. You can even cut the long pieces in half and join with a straight coupler so you don't have to deal with the really long pieces when not in use. We used to make these all the time for our kids' sports banners. Everything comes apart and fits into a camping chair bag for easy transport.

• Keri Buscemi
    last year

Did you figure something out for this issue? i am currently looking for the same type of thing but to do it with a Queen.