Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam61

Does anyone use a bedskirt with an adjustable bed/mattress base?

tinam61
4 years ago

Maybe out-of-style, but I still prefer the look of a bedskirt. We have a new bed (mattress base?) and mattress (finally!) coming next week. I'm trying to figure out how to use a bedskirt on the base. Just wondered if any of you have accomplished that. Second option is to purchase a cover that has fabric to the floor - such as those linen ones seen in Restoration Hardware ads/stores. Fabric fits across the top of mattress and then the "skirt" is gathered on at mattress edge, so a long skirt.

Thanks for any input!

Comments (19)

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

No, we don’t. I don’t care for the ‘cluttered’ look anymore with our new bed. The new bed frame we have has an upholstered frame that wraps around the mattress. The whole thing is lower than our previous mattress and box spring setup which we really like. If you don’t have anything separating the mattress from the floor, your situation might be different.

• tinam61
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes, mattress is separated from floor. The frame base is fabric covered (but not a color I want as my showing) and has legs. Ours is not lower, which I can't picture for my husband's height LOL. I don't think of a bedskirt as cluttered. I don't particularly like seeing underneath the bed, if that makes sense. Thanks! Have been browsing online and have come up with a couple of options.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Tina, we are tall too, but our previous bed was really just too tall IMO, especially after we added a topper to extend the life of our old mattress (which was a mistake in retrospect). We are getting older, DH had hip replacement last year and we decided a taller bed wasn’t for us.

I have had a lot of bedskirts. There are various lengths you can purchase, so I would start by trying to find one that is the measurement you need. If they are too long, you can try to hem the bed skirt or adjust under the mattress somehow, maybe using clips.

Try Pine Cone Hill/Annie Selke, Pottery Barn, Company Store, and maybe even Etsy.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

We have a Sleep Number bed with a PVC platform, and the fabric cover was tossed out years ago after years of cats shredding it. I recently made a new bed skirt that is attached with Velcro. I hot glued the hook side to the PVC platform and sewed the softer loop side to the top of the skirt.

My previous bed skirt was attached to a huge piece of fabric that slid under the mattress and it was very difficult to get it out to wash it, then get it back into place.

Donna

• tinam61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both! Donna, you recognized what I was asking. HOW to use a bedskirt on an adjustable bed. I guess I didn't word it well in the original post. Yes, I have a bedskirt now with the fabric piece between the mattress and box springs. The base will take the place of box springs on the new set up. I was wondering what the bedskirt will do when the adjustable mattress in in use - such as raising head of mattress, etc.

Outside, my husband isn't real tall but tall enough that some of the bed set-ups we looked at (comparing bases, box springs, etc), were too low for him. I am only 5'3 so of course don't want something too high! LOL Our base is adjustable in height and we tried a few heights in the store, so we should be good.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

Why not just hem the skirt with double sided hemming tape?

tinam61 thanked Lukki Irish
  • puglovernjfl
    4 years ago

I have an adjustable bed and I also like to use a dust ruffle. My dust ruffle has all that fabric that goes under the mattress. We adjust the mattress so we can read before we fall asleep, and just before drifting off to sleep, we lower it to the flat position. EVERY morning I have to lift up the mattress slightly so I can tug the dust ruffle back in place because it slid when the head of the bed was raised. EVERY morning!

• tinam61
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lukki, not sure if you were replying to me or June? The bedskirt doesn't need hemming (at least I don't think it will - bed/mattress to be delivered next week). But I can sew and have a machine if that were the case. I'm just wondering if the skirt will bundle up, hang right, etc. when we raise/lower the mattress and how to actually "attach" a bedskirt since the adjustable base is different than box springs. I hope that made sense!! LOL

• ecgb
    3 years ago

Tinam61, What did you end up doing for a bed skirt for your adjustable mattress? We’re getting one delivered soon & the bed skirt issue just now occurred to me!

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@ecgb i had one custom made. It does not have the large piece of material that lays across the mattress. It has a band that lays on the top edge and Velcros on. Genius!

• ecgb
    3 years ago

Ok thank you for getting back to me, was hoping I didn’t have to go the custom route. Ugh.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I have two seamstresses that I found online that I have used for pillow covers and shower curtains, wonderful work (and yes they are far, far away LOL). This was a new one for me but she does all kinds of bedding, etc. and did a great job. I can dig out her info if you are interested @ecgb

• ecgb
    3 years ago

That’s so nice of you to offer her info but tonight we decided to cancel our order for the adjustable mattress... not because of the bed skirt issue, lol! We found out our 120-year old home’s narrow turn staircase will be an issue for the 375-lb base that comes in 1 piece. We’ll get an adjustable someday... in our next house! Thanks so much anyway, I appreciate your kindness.

• cran
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

ecgb I feel your pain. We replaced a bed in our 200 year old house this fall. There was a problem with getting the old queen box springs down the staircase. Can’t remember how they got up 30 years ago ( yes it was time to be replaced ). After much pushing and shoving , they took a hammer to it and disassemble it. The split queen went in easily.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I’m so glad this topic came back up. I have a new split king adjustable base. I was planning to use a matelasse coverlet and a tailored linen bedskirt with it. However, my mattresses stick out about an 1” - 2” inches farther than the base - on the sides only. Because of the stop at the foot of the bed, the mattresses are even with the base there. Does anyone else have this same issue? Does your skirt look okay recessed in a couple of inches from the overhang of the coverlet?

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@ecgb I am sorry! You make me glad we built a one level house. Still some things are hard to get through doorways, around a corner, etc.

@bbstx, I'm thinking they should have sold you a different base! I don't think your mattress should be larger than your base.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@Tina Marie, I measured the base and the mattress last night. They are both the same size when measured individually. I think the issue is that the bases fit very very close together but the sides of the mattresses are not perfectly straight up and down so they don’t fit so close together. Plus there is bedding tucked between the 2 mattresses - sheets and mattress covers. Perhaps, I need to get the Handy Guy in here to loosen the straps that hold the two bases together and maybe put some sort of blocking between the legs so the bases aren’t so close together. Hmmmmm... I need to ponder on this.

• Susanne J-C
    last year

For my adjustable bed, I'm using a flat style box skirt that doesn't have the typical fabric/sheet which is normally sandwiched between the box-springs & mattress.

The one I have came from Amazon, and there was a couple dozen fabrics and price ranges to choose from.

I attached mine with velcro to the bed base.

You can actually use any skirt, just cut away the sheet style fabric from the middle, and use heavy duty velcro, or push pins, to attach it to your base.

One tip before you purchase, measure the drop/length from the base to the floor. You'll need to know how long the skirt needs to be. And, Amazon offers many different lengths to fit lots of different heights.