Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chantelle_prentice

fire proofing wall ideas?

Chantelle P
4 years ago

We are in the process of finishing our basement. Our budget is tight and I’d love to hear economical/budget friendly suggestions for behind our wood stove. The drywall is fireproof and besides the my initial idea to do stone, I would love to hear what suggestions you have. Our home is rustic and earthy in tone (it’s actually a log house but not in the basement potion). Thanks!

Comments (8)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

How close is that to the walls? What brand and model is the stove?

• User
    4 years ago

Your title asks about wood stove fireproofing?

Or are you asking about decorative wall coverings over heat resistant wall board, I.e., rock or brick?

Do you have any specs/installation information for your stove?

Do you have any temperature read8ng from the area in concern?

• Lidia
    4 years ago

The floor needs to be fireproofed as well. The stove should have specs included to give you direction on distance from unit to non-cumbustable material. Those babies get HOT and you’ll want to be safe. In case of a fire, as is, you’d never get any insurance money.

• Chantelle P
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok, my post should have said fire resistant drywall, not fire proof.

We are putting granite under the stove. We have the specs of the stove and it will be the appropriate distances.

I am asking what we can put behind the stove that is safe. I’ve seen rustic sheet metal etc.

I appreciate all the care and good questions, but what I am looking for are ideas for behind the stove - that is all :-)

• User
    4 years ago

The incorrect thimble, piping, and clearances would need to be resolved before a cladding material would be under consideration. There are too many designed in fire hazards in that picture to think about slab stone installation just yet. You have to get the design right first.

But once they are resolved, the same material for it all is the best choice. Slab granite everywhere. Installed with the correct mortar.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

The setup looks iffy to me. Apparently you intend to uninstall the stove to fireproof the floor and the walls?

We had a similar stove in our very first house. We had a flue fire and it was very scary. It literally does sound like an airplane about to take off. I thought the whole flue was going to explode.

This was 40 years ago: we applied something called z-brick to the walls. It was like facer brick and put up with mortar. I doubt it’s even produced anymore.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

That picture is a horror show. You will burn to death if you light that stove. You don't know what you don't know.