Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mickler5

Dekton Countertops

Julie Mickler
4 years ago

I've seen Dekton countertops at many showrooms and some of the edges appear chipped.

Does anyone have a Dekton countertop in their kitchen and have they experienced any chipping along the edges?

It could be the showrooms have too much going on and they're not concerned with being mindful of hitting the edge of the countertop with heavy items.

Looking for some input on homeowner experience with this product.

https://www.dekton.com/usa/countertops/

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

As a restoration professional, Dekton and other sintered surfaces are some of the most difficult surfaces in which to fix chipped edges. Matching the factory finish would be problematic. I'd order the most rounded edges you can.

• mainenell
    4 years ago

A lot of showroom displays were done when first introducing the product to the market. It takes a skilled fabricator and installer to get great installs. So a lot of the time the displays were practice. The installer has to use really good blades and go slowly.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    4 years ago

I am a fabricator. Dekton and the similar products are brittle and prone to chipping, much more so than other countertop materials. Additionally, it is so hard that the typical diamond CNC tooling used to profile the edges gets used up a great deal faster than on other materials so most fabricators won't offer a larger radius on the top of the edge which would help reduce chipping. If a customer insists on a large radius profile I add the cost of a set of tools ($3500) to the price of the job.

• Lana Shulman
    3 years ago

Considering Dekton countertop (Korso color), if someone could contact me , I am looking for fabricator who has experience with this material . Located in NY.

• lwfromny
    3 years ago

Where are you in NY? There is a Dekton fabricator in Rochester.

• Lana Shulman
    3 years ago

I am in NY city, little far from Rochester I think.

• lwfromny
    3 years ago

Yup 😊. Hopefully you can find someplace! It’s beautiful stuff - I considered it and ruled it out bc I didn’t like that the design doesn’t come down onto the edges. It would have just bugged me too much. But for the Korso it probably won’t be noticeable. Good luck!

• Lana Shulman
    2 years ago

I am still in search for a good experienced Dekton fabricator! I have been reading so many “horror” stories that people are having Chios and cracks because of bad install. Don’t want to make a mistake so researching before hiring someone. I have few estimates and it’s a pretty big investment even though the kitchen is little. Want to make sure the fabricators knows what he is doing before I hire.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    2 years ago

"Want to make sure the fabricators knows what he is doing before I hire." find out who the Dekton distributor is your area and ask that person for a recommendation.

• Mitchell Sanders
    2 years ago

HELP

New to posting on houzz so this is probably not the right spot but I have a problem that maybe oldryder can help with . I have new Quartz counter tops installed just a week ago and noticed tonight that a plumber who came after the counter tops were installed dripped purple pipe thread sealant on the counter tops . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . Maybe acetone???

• honeybear333
    2 years ago

@Mitchell Sanders have you tried magic eraser or soft scrub?

• Michele Smith
    2 years ago

Hi there looking for an experienced fabricator for Dekton in the West Ft Lauderdale, not far from Doral area.